logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Walt  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:06:52 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

I had an accident, I was on a ladder pulling cable and the ladder slid out as I was climbing down. I only fell about 4-5 feet, but I landed on my right hip and the floor was cement.
The ball of the femur was shoved through the pelvis socket shattering it. They flew me to Denver because after looking at the CAT scan, the doctor in Grand Junction said with the amount of damage, it was beyond his skill level. My wife isn't able to come visit because there would be no one to watch the animals and it's about a 4 hour drive one way

Prayer would be greatly appreciated
Offline Richard  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:01:42 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Bless you, Walt! May our Father force a way for your good wife to be able to be by your side during this ordeal.
Offline VinceB.  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:21:39 AM(UTC)
VinceB.

Walt wrote:
I had an accident, I was on a ladder pulling cable and the ladder slid out as I was climbing down. I only fell about 4-5 feet, but I landed on my right hip and the floor was cement.
The ball of the femur was shoved through the pelvis socket shattering it. They flew me to Denver because after looking at the CAT scan, the doctor in Grand Junction said with the amount of damage, it was beyond his skill level. My wife isn't able to come visit because there would be no one to watch the animals and it's about a 4 hour drive one way

Prayer would be greatly appreciated

praying Walt
HWHY
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:32:04 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Me and Patty will both keep you in our prayers Walt. May you have a speedy recovery.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline tagim  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 6:40:59 AM(UTC)
tagim
Man

Walt, very sorry to learn of this happening to you. You are and will be in all our prayers. Please keep us informed as much as you are able to. Please recover soon.
Offline sirgodfrey  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 7:22:13 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

Incense has been burned for you mate, and will continue to rise.
Offline Richard  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:09:34 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Walt,

I have made the readers of Swalchy's forum aware of your situation. More will be praying for you, brother. Encourage yourself in Yahowah.

Richard
Offline Noel  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:01:02 AM(UTC)
Noel

Walt
We shall pray for your speedy recovery here in the UK, and for relief of pain too.

Noel and Joanna
Offline FredSnell  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:02:57 PM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
uuuhhhgg,..feel your pain, brother, and can only imagine what you are going through...we try and keep all our family in our prayers always, but will remember you extra, and may Father YHWH bring you everything you need, in this time of recovery.
Offline Walt  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:03:21 PM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Get operated on 1st thing in AM
3-5 days in hospital
Then 6 weeks before I start physical therapy, and 10 weeks before I can start to put weight on it (LOTS of bed rest)

I still can't believe this, with all I do - climbing microwave towers, mountain climbing, off roading, scuba diving - I get taken down by falling 4 feet from a ladder.

Greatly appreciate the prayers
Offline Mike  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:26:57 PM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Walt,

I am praying for your speedy recovery.

Shalom
Offline FredSnell  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:27:44 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Praying for you, Walt..Sounds like you are going through the very thing my mom-n-law did, by falling off her back porch. About 4' fall too and at her old age, this was a few yrs ago, she's still slow getting that smashed pelvis, and all it's kinks out when getting out of bed.

I hear ya, it's the little things that'll get us if we aren't careful.
Offline James  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:59:52 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Walt wrote:
I still can't believe this, with all I do - climbing microwave towers, mountain climbing, off roading, scuba diving - I get taken down by falling 4 feet from a ladder.

It's always what you least expect.

I'm just glad you weren't doing any of the other things when it happened, I can't imagine how bad it would have been then.

Hope things go well, that's a lot of time in bed I would go crazy. At least you have computer access, so on the up side you can spend some time with Dad.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Offline cgb2  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2011 5:01:19 PM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
You're in my prayers Walt....and for faster recovery than 16 weeks.
Offline Yah Tselem  
#15 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2011 4:12:42 AM(UTC)
Yah Tselem
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Walt, a year ago I had some health problems that completely knocked me out of my daily rhythm. I went from working out 5 days/week & playing hoops twice a week to barely having enough energy to walk out and get the mail. I spent a lot of time in bed and months not feeling like leaving the house. Finally the last month or so I am able to exercise (a little) again and things are slowly getting better. My point is, I know what it feels like to get knocked off your feet and out of commission. It is so hard. My prayer for you is the same as I've been praying for myself for a long time.. that this will bring you closer to Yah and that He will reveal Himself to us all more and more each day and of course that we're thankful to Him that he's going to heal you. Take care.
Offline Walt  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2011 4:59:41 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Appreciate all the prayers and encouragement
Update, had the surgery yesterday. They said 2-3 hours but it took 6
Looks like that my internal organs (liver & gall bladder) took a beating in the fall
Offline FredSnell  
#17 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2011 5:16:09 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Get well, Walt!!!...Take some comfort in the fact that, 100yrs ago, you'd more than likely be out of commission forever.
Hope you have a good Sabbath and we will keep praying for you and yours and the livestock.
Offline Richard  
#18 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2011 5:30:58 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Well, all you can do is relax and heal, then. So do it! Yahowah has given you an opportunity to rest.

Yahowah bless you, brother.
Offline Walt  
#19 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2011 6:08:17 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Recovery will be loooong - they said 10 weeks before I can put weight on the leg
Offline Richard  
#20 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2011 6:12:49 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

After my triple bypass surgery in 2008, they told me I couldn't return to work for 12-16 weeks. I fought them and was allowed to return after just 2 weeks. May our Father accelerate your own healing process. Of course, I wasn't dealing with shattered bones and damaged internal organs (except for my heart, the use of 55% of which I apparently lost). Nevertheless, Yahowah can heal you quickly. Whatever occurs, Walt, I would encourage you to use this time to draw closer to Him Who loves us.

Love in Yahowah.
Offline James  
#21 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2011 8:00:46 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Walt wrote:
Recovery will be loooong - they said 10 weeks before I can put weight on the leg

Look on the positive side, you have a good reason, and excuse to spend 10 weeks with Yah, in His Torah. :)

Offline bigritchie  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:39:59 AM(UTC)
bigritchie

Yeay I can actually post (I hope this goes through)

Sorry to hear of your injury Walt, get well soon buddy!
Offline Matthew  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:10:42 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
James wrote:
Look on the positive side, you have a good reason, and excuse to spend 10 weeks with Yah, in His Torah. :)

Sensible advise.
Offline James  
#24 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 5:10:37 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Walt, just wanted to check and see how things are going. I pray your recovery is coming along good.

Offline Walt  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:24:32 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

I'm hanging in there. I'm home at least, though that 4 hour drive was a toll.

Had a bad day yesterday with the pain that I couldn't stop from crying - I was pushing it too much by sleeping in my own bed for the previous 2 nights, now I'm back in the hospital bed they brought me. I've got to take it easy and not push things much yet.

I go see my new Orthopedic Surgeon in Grand Junction today for my 1st follow-up since the surgery, and get all these staples out of me. Hopefully I can start getting some answers
Offline tagim  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:27:54 AM(UTC)
tagim
Man

Rest, sponge baths, more rest, sponge baths, movement, very slow and cautious, much fluid intake, more slow movement, sponge baths, rest. It is not a very pretty picture, Walt, but it is obvious you need tender, cautious care, much rest, constant observation, and more rest. The heaviest pain killer should be prescribed. I suspect the most difficult and trying cure will be how to keep the formerly robust person you have described to stay inactive and do all of the above. It is hurtful just thinking of the pain you are in. I have pain, but only mental. My treatments do not hurt. I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer, am five weeks into daily treatment I pray will work. Have four more weeks, five days a week to culmination. After that, wait four more months to find out if treatments worked. I have a positive outlook. I am sure it helps not to have so much pain as you have. Follow the directions, Walt. Do not push it or exert yourself. It will work. I know you have a lot of friends praying for you. Faith, rest and a cure.
Offline RidesWithYah  
#27 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 5:44:31 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

updates? continuing to pray Yah's healing hands for you.
Offline James  
#28 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 5:45:57 AM(UTC)
James
Man

RidesWithYah wrote:
updates? continuing to pray Yah's healing hands for you.

I literally just came here to ask this same question.

Offline Walt  
#29 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 11:45:04 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Not much to update. Don't see the Orthopedic surgeon till the 17th, will know more then.
Couldn't stay completely off the pain meds (oxycodone) as my hip has been waking up. Don't see the Orthopedic surgeon till the 17th, will know more then. Biggest problem is my inability to get any quality sleep, what I'd give for a good nights sleep.
Social worker came by yesterday, she suggested getting involved with a church, recommended a "good unitarian church"
Looking forward to being able to take a shower. I would kill to be-able to get in a hot tub and soak.
Offline FredSnell  
#30 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 2:11:02 PM(UTC)
FredSnell

Walt wrote:
recommended a "good unitarian church"
Looking forward to being able to take a shower. .

LOL

You have been in my thoughts and prayers along with, tagim and felicia. Get well, have a happy Sabbath. As best as someone in that condition could.
Offline Sevensup  
#31 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 4:46:21 PM(UTC)
Sevensup

Walt wrote:
Social worker came by yesterday, she suggested getting involved with a church, recommended a "good unitarian church"

My husband recently passed away at home, and during the 4 months he was on Hospice, there were frequent offers for a pastor to visit, especially toward the end. So many well-meaning people just couldn't understand why we did not want them praying to Jebbus over my husband. Now that I am alone, I intend to spend more time getting to Yada Yahowah. This forum is a huge help in understanding so many things. I am praying for you, Walt, and all of my brothers and sisters that Yah will grant your wishes for healing according to His will. May Yah bless you all.

Mary
Offline tagim  
#32 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 6:17:38 PM(UTC)
tagim
Man

Walt, thank you for the update, as painful as it is to read knowing the pain you are in. I know that for you and the state of health you were in before this horrible accident, you must feel as a stranger to your old self. You are wise to sparingly use the opiates. I am pretty much hooked on them, plus a morphine pill at night, which, if not taken, leaves me with a useless body by morning. That is a pain, I believe, caused by the morphine alone, or rather the lack of it. But at 76 years of abusing my body, the best I can do is to take whatever I can to relieve pain. I suspect now your mind is the strongest part of your body and I pray you use it to endure all you have to. You have many friends praying for your quick and full recovery. Easy to say, "mind over matter," though I wish you quickly get to that state so you can more easily endure. I hope you can rest easily at night, as tossing in bed could be like a nightmare. Stay strong, friend, and we hope to hear better news at your next post.
Offline Richard  
#33 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2011 8:25:25 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Walt wrote:
Not much to update. Don't see the Orthopedic surgeon till the 17th, will know more then.
Couldn't stay completely off the pain meds (oxycodone) as my hip has been waking up. Don't see the Orthopedic surgeon till the 17th, will know more then. Biggest problem is my inability to get any quality sleep, what I'd give for a good nights sleep.
Looking forward to being able to take a shower. I would kill to be-able to get in a hot tub and soak.

Walt, I know I am not alone when I tell you that I am praying for Yahowah to give you a really good, full night's sleep, uninterrupted by pain or anything else. May a great stillness descend upon your whole body and wrap you in peace, brother.
Offline James  
#34 Posted : Saturday, June 4, 2011 8:32:22 AM(UTC)
James
Man

I will keep you in my prayers Walt, may Yah be with you throughout.

Offline Yah Tselem  
#35 Posted : Saturday, June 4, 2011 12:21:56 PM(UTC)
Yah Tselem
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Walt, perhaps the docs could give you some melatonin or something to help w the sleep. Sleep is so important for the healing process. Prayin for ya, man..
Offline Walt  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:38:15 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Thanks for the prayers. Tagim, your post humbles me - thank you. I will definitely pray for you and thank Yah for people like you being around.
I great praise report. For the first time I got a decent nights sleep. I ordered an herbal sleep aid called Ambesleep (it has Valerian Root, Melatonin, GABA and other herbs) and it worked great.
I still woke up a few times, but I just repositioned myself and went back to sleep WOO-HOO
Offline James  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:38:06 AM(UTC)
James
Man

That's great news Walt, I know how much good a good nights sleep can be. May things keep getting better for you.

Offline Walt  
#38 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:16:39 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Update.....
The herbal sleep aid didn't work near as well the following 2 nights, so I took 6 (dose is 4) - PURE HELL, I felt like I was tired as all get out, but on speed. I was SOO wired. NEVER AGAIN.
I am now able to sleep in my bed instead instead of the hospital bed.

Saw my orthopedic surgeon Tues, said he was very impressed with my level of healing.
I now start outpatient physical therapy 3 times a week.
He released my limitations of moving the leg & hip, but I still can't put any weight on the leg - he said the rule of thumb is 3 months before walking, regardless of how fast the healing goes.

He cleared me to goto the hot springs, so I went yesterday.
TOTALLY overdid it, got home at 4pm yesterday and headed straight to bed, didn't get up till 8 this morning, couldn't even eat lunch or supper yesterday.
Still weak today - but IT WAS WORTH IT, felt SOOOOO good.

Said in 6 weeks he'll release me to office work. Said I'll be able to tower climb in 6 months (my job has me climbing microwave radio towers) and said at that point I should good as new, with no restrictions.
Offline bigritchie  
#39 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:41:03 AM(UTC)
bigritchie

Walt wrote:
Update.....
The herbal sleep aid didn't work near as well the following 2 nights, so I took 6 (dose is 4) - PURE HELL, I felt like I was tired as all get out, but on speed. I was SOO wired. NEVER AGAIN.
I am now able to sleep in my bed instead instead of the hospital bed.

Saw my orthopedic surgeon Tues, said he was very impressed with my level of healing.
I now start outpatient physical therapy 3 times a week.
He released my limitations of moving the leg & hip, but I still can't put any weight on the leg - he said the rule of thumb is 3 months before walking, regardless of how fast the healing goes.

He cleared me to goto the hot springs, so I went yesterday.
TOTALLY overdid it, got home at 4pm yesterday and headed straight to bed, didn't get up till 8 this morning, couldn't even eat lunch or supper yesterday.
Still weak today - but IT WAS WORTH IT, felt SOOOOO good.

Said in 6 weeks he'll release me to office work. Said I'll be able to tower climb in 6 months (my job has me climbing microwave radio towers) and said at that point I should good as new, with no restrictions.

That is awesome Walt, glad to hear you will make a full recovery and that you are healing fast.
Offline FredSnell  
#40 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:01:57 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

ditto bigritchie!!!
Offline James  
#41 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:09:41 AM(UTC)
James
Man

That's great Walt, hang in there.

Offline tagim  
#42 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:46:40 AM(UTC)
tagim
Man

great news, walt; thank you.
Offline Walt  
#43 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:42:05 PM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Further update and chance to vent

I ended up in the emergency room Sun because a had a large area around 1/3 of my healed incision was all swollen and hard. I couldn't sleep Fri or Sat night because unless I laid flat on my back, the pain down my leg was unbearable.
They cat scanned me and found a large pocket of indeterminably fluid with a hard case around it. The er doc wouldn't take a sample because as she put it "I'm not risking my career over some other doctors issue.
Monday they had me goto Grand Junction (1 hour away) and a doctor there, using ultra sound, drew out fluid (it was blood and other fluid) and drained out 16 oz of it (as much as he could with large syringes) and said it didn't look infected. Said the rest would have to be done by inserting a tube into my abdomen and using some sort of vacuum system to draw the rest out.

For some background, they flew me to Denver for the surgery (4+ hour drive) and released me to an orthopedic surgeon in Grand Junction

Well the culture came back negative - no infection, but my doctor in GJ doesn't want to deal with it, so he's referring me back to the hospital in Denver. Other than this I'm doing great. Started my physical therapy today and did really really well. I am sooo angry and frustrated right now. What would be just and overnight stay in GJ is probably going to set me back by a week, and I'll have to drive to Denver for the rest of my follow ups.

I've maintained a good positive attitude, worked hard to get better ahead of schedule, and now because a doctor doesn't want to do a fairly simple surgical procedure because another doctor did the original surgery and he's afraid of litigation, I'm going to be set back and have to do allot more driving (or my wife will)
If that's how he felt, he shouldn't have taken my case

My case worker said it would probably take a couple of days to get things set up.

I'm sorry about the attitude, but I've been so patient and doing what I've needed to do, and now this...
Offline Walt  
#44 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:20:05 PM(UTC)
Walt
Man

I found out that the Dr in GJ had his nurse call the claims adjuster for my case and told them to transfer my care to the hospital in Denver, and gave NO other info, nothing on my present condition and problems.
My Advocate/ case worker (this is all because I'm on workmens comp) called the nurse in GJ and she won't returns her calls.

This person considers himself a professional????
He won't even see me.
Offline lassie1865  
#45 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:34:03 PM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

Walt,

I've been praying for you. You know, this transfer to Denver, well, perhaps there is a hidden, deeper reason for this; there are more high tech services here in Denver that GJ doesn't have; and, maybe my husband and I can even meet you sometime; we live near Denver.
Offline Walt  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:47:30 PM(UTC)
Walt
Man

lassie1865 wrote:
Walt,

I've been praying for you. You know, this transfer to Denver, well, perhaps there is a hidden, deeper reason for this; there are more high tech services here in Denver that GJ doesn't have; and, maybe my husband and I can even meet you sometime; we live near Denver.

Thank you dear sister, I hope you are right. I originally was flown to Swedish because the Dr in GJ looked at the cat scan and said the injury was to severe for him to do. But it was hard being there a week with no way my wife could visit.
When I visted the er Sun, the same 2 nurses were on staff, and they were wondering what happened to me, after they flew me out the looked up my injury and found it has a high mortality rate because they bleed out internally.
Offline Richard  
#47 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:59:36 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

May you definitely not bleed out internally! What a nightmare, brother. My heart is with you, man.
Offline tagim  
#48 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:19:07 PM(UTC)
tagim
Man

This jockeying that you are being forced to do, Walt, we know that Yah has hold of you and is watching. Denver has the capacity to handle the complex injury you suffered. Could be a jewel in disguise. It does not sound as though there is anything "simple" about the injury you suffered, the blood and fluid withdrawn, and with something so serious, you should run from this litigation conscious physician. You will pick back up on that week you lost. Just stay safe and watchful. We are always praying for you.
Offline James  
#49 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:08:36 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Sorry to hear about the set backs, but like tagim said if the surgeon is that worried about litigation then they aren't focused where they should be, which is on doing what is in your best interest. Hopefully you will get a good Doc who is willing to do what ever it takes to take care of you. Me and Patty are keeping you in our prayers. May Yah be with you.

Offline FredSnell  
#50 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:51:14 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Get well Walt!!!...I see this type of uncaring happening in many places. I have a nephew (from Tx.) stuck in S. Carolina in a boondock hospital that in the end would probably just as soon remove your leg before taking the appropiate action. He blasted a hole into his foot with a high pressure washer at 80ft below the surface water while doing some cleaning and repairs on under water casements. Today if he doesn't receive the care one would expect, my tiny wife is going to be calling and I can gaurantee anyone, stand in the way of this little lady and watch her move mountains. The doctors there have taken their time and my nephews afraid its going gangrene.