logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shohn  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2008 11:21:04 AM(UTC)
shohn

From -> http://yadayahweh.com/Ya...h_Salvation_Chadash.YHWH

Speaking of the Renewed Covenant, Jeremiah was inspired to say: "God existing as man ('Yshayah'el - a name which means: God exists as man) through relationship ('asher - by way of association) cuts (karat - makes by way of circumcision) a Covenant (beriyth - a relationship) with the family (bayith - household and home) of Yisra'el (meaning those who strive with God) in those days declares Yahuweh. I will put (nathan - give, set, commit, entrust, deliver, assign, and bestow in a healthy and enduring fashion) My instructions (torah - directions and prescriptions) inside them (qereb - in their midst and inner parts so they can approach, come near and draw close), engraving them (kathab - in writing, inscribing, and describing by recording them) in their hearts. I will exist as (hayah) their God and they shall exist as (hayah) My family." (Jeremiah 31:33)

Am I missing something here? I've checked my interlinears, dead sea scrolls bible, etc. and can't seem to find the first part (bolded) listed here.
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:35:13 PM(UTC)
kp

Shohn, tracking down 'asher was the very first encounter Yada and I had with "Bible mistakes." I can still recall the day Yada and I sat in his cabin poring over lexicons and scouring software resources trying to figure out the "obvious mistake" in II Samuel 7. The light bulb went on over both our heads simultaneously---it was a wonderful moment, repeated in our individual studies thousands of times since then. I recorded the gist of our findings in FH, chapter 2:

Quote:
Okay, back to the prophecies. King David was the next to be pinpointed as someone in the Messianic line. Nathan the prophet came to him and said, “Yahweh tells you [David] that He will make you a house [a royal dynasty]. When your days are fulfilled and you rest with your fathers, I will set up your seed after you, who will come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for My name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. I will be his Father, and he shall be My son.” Now here’s the kicker: “If he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men and with the blows of the sons of men. But My mercy shall not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I removed from before you. And your house and your kingdom shall be established forever before you. Your throne shall be established forever.” (II Samuel 7:11-16)

Sufficiently confused? You should be. Is God referring to David’s son Solomon, or to the ultimate King, the Messiah? The answer is yes. Prophecy Principle Number Eight: there can be both near and far fulfillments for a single prophecy. It’s maddeningly hard to sort out sometimes, but God likes to put interrelated truths into the Biblical Blender and hit frappe. Let’s look at the details here. David’s physical son will reign in his stead: that’s obviously Solomon. God says He will establish his—Solomon’s—throne forever. That statement will soon get us into trouble, but let’s skip over it for now. The phrase “If he commits iniquity, I will chasten him…” makes no sense. Solomon did commit iniquity, but most certainly did not receive the “blows of the sons of men.” Rather, God’s mercy stayed with him, as the passage clearly predicts. So is the prophet talking about the Messiah? Christ committed no iniquity. What’s going on here?

The key is in the little word “If.” The Hebrew word ‘asher is a primitive and rarely used relative pronoun that can mean almost anything: when, who, which, what, if, how, because, in order that, etc. Strong’s notes that “As it is indeclinable, it is often accompanied by the personal pronoun expletively, used to show the connection.” Right. So the phrase really means, “If—or when—He is associated with iniquity….” The prophet is predicting the suffering of Christ! Then he finishes up by saying David’s house, kingdom, and throne will be established forever.

Yada has just cut to the chase.

kp
Offline shohn  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2008 4:28:34 PM(UTC)
shohn

Yeah, that pesky God existing as man word. Can't find it in my meager tool set I guess. Thanks for the studylight link though. I guess it must be an issue of the underlying text?
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline kp  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2008 8:15:55 AM(UTC)
kp

Well, this is weird. The Logos Word Study Guide says the "This" at the beginning of the sentence is 'Iythiy'el, which Yada is taking (apparently) as a contraction of 'Yshayah'el (which would indeed mean God exists as man). The lexicons define the name 'Iythiy'el as meaning "God is with me."

But I checked a couple of other sources, and they listed the Hebrew word translated "this" as zothe (Strongs H2063). So I don't know what to say. I really want Yada to be right here, but I don't know if he is.

kp