logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Icy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:04:38 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
There are various types of leavening agents. But what is leaven exactly? Leaven is a substance used in doughs and batters to cause it to lighten and soften. This is done by producing gas (usually Carbon Dixoide) within the dough. That is how you get fluffy bread.

But, what does Yahuweh mean when he talks about not having leaven in bread? I ask this, because more than likely they used yeast in ancient Israel, which actually pysically changes the chemical makeup of the dough as well as leaving waste byproducts within it. This is very similar to what "leaven" means on a spiritual sense - sin.

There are other types of leaven, though, that simply produce gas within the dough without changing it's makeup, and the only byproduct is salt. These are more recent in history. Do you think these apply? Since they do not change the makeup of the dough, are they still symbolic as sin?

There are two other ways to leaven, mechanically (mixing up the stuff to trap air in it, like whisking eggs) and traping water, causing it to flash to steam. Obviously we are not to remove water (it can be a leavening agent), so maybe we do not have to remove the chemical leavens either.

Here is a list.

Biological leavens:
beer (unpasteurised - live yeast)
buttermilk
ginger beer
kefir
sourdough starter
yeast
yogurt

Chemical leavens:

baking powder
baking soda (a.k.a., sodium bicarbonate)
ammonium bicarbonate (a.k.a., hartshorn, horn salt, bakers ammonia)
potassium bicarbonate (a.k.a., potash)
potassium bitartrate (a.k.a., cream of tartar)
potassium carbonate (a.k.a., pearlash)
monocalcium phosphate

The important thing to remember is not necessarily to scour your house for the things on the above list, but instead to scour your life and remove the sin within it.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:32:54 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think you hit the nail on the head with your closing sentance for me :)

We are removing the yeast, but only as a symbol - im not going to dig through every corner of every cupboard to try and find something that might by chance make something fluffy and light. If its yeast its gone, if not then its not. :) The sin is more of an issue... :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline bitnet  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 12:10:51 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom All,

Yeast... sin... Is yeast sin? No, it is just symbolic. We can remove it from our homes (like we are trying) but where do we put it? I've taken the packets of crackers and biscuits away from home but put it in my shop as it would be more sinful to throw it away! So what does this mean? Sin in the shop? Of course not! We may also reflect on what MessiYah Yahushua said: "It is not what goes into the body that makes us unclean, but what comes out." The effort to cleanse ourselves is a daily affair, not done once a year! So just remember the real significance and meaning of The Sacrifice, and do all that can be done to be a true Qodeshim, set-apart, obedient and faithful. Relax a little and do not worry too much if you find something at home that should not be there. Just put it out next time. Only don't put it in my shop as we'll be clearing that area next year as well!

Blessed Pesach!
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.