logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MZ  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2008 12:29:04 PM(UTC)
MZ

Quote from KP's Future History Chapter 30:

As the vision came to an end, John was so moved, he didn’t know quite what to do. "Now I, John, saw and heard these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who showed me these things. Then he said to me, ‘See that you do not do that. For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.’" Natural response, though wrong object. (Revelation 22:8-9)

Would a "fellow" servant be an angel? I know the word for angel means messenger, so just who was addressing John?
Offline Theophilus  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2008 3:21:34 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Hello MZ, while it's possible that he is refering to a human messenger, it seems to me given the context of "showing him by hearing and seeing" it indicates to me a spiritual messener like the one who gave the messages to Daniel. If it were a corporeal messenger it seem to me that that person would've authored the revelation themselves, no? I suppose in the end it is the accuracy and validity of the message rather than the nature (spiritual or corporeal) of the one who conveys the message that matters.

I hope that this was helpful.
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2008 10:17:31 AM(UTC)
kp

Yes, MZ, John's "fellow servant" whom he was addressing was an angel, a heavenly messenger (aggelos). Humans and angels don't serve Yahweh in the same way, of course, but we are both (ideally) servants of God. It's not surprising that John was emotionally overcome in the angel's presense, for their appearance is so magnificent their first words to us invariably have to be, "Don't be afraid." I get the feeling John didn't know quite what to do, so he fell to his knees in awe. The angel's response to his grovelling was a gentle though necessary correction, for as awesome as he was, he knew he was only a messenger, a servant, more like John than Yahweh.

kp
Offline MZ  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2008 2:56:29 PM(UTC)
MZ

Thanks everyone. I've always wondered about that verse because it sounded like the angel was saying he's one of the brethren--I thought maybe one in his spirit body who's already in heaven. However, as you point out kp, John was emotionally overcome, etc., and he wouldn't have been if it was just one of the brethren.