logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matthew  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:06:19 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Below I have quoted an excerpt from Gerald Schroeder's book called The Hidden Face of God. And below that I have quoted from YY, chapter 2 called 'Owr Light.

Gerald Schroeder wrote:
Genesis 1:1 is usually read in the English, is "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Unfortunately, that rendition, which the entire English speaking world has heard repeatedly from youth (both biological and cultural youth), misses the meaning of the Hebrew. The miss is not very surprising. The English version stems from the King James Bible, first published in 1611. But the King James Bible is a translation preceded by the Latin Vulgate attributed to St. Jerome in the 4th century and that Latin version is taken from the Greek Septuagint that dates back some 2200 years. The Septuagint is taken from the Hebrew. "In the beginning" is three translations downstream from the original.

The opening word, usually translated as "In the beginning," is the Hebrew Be'reasheet. Be'reasheet can mean "In the beginning of" but not "In the beginning." The difficulty with the preposition "of" is that its object is absent from the sentence and so the usual English translation merely drops it. Rather than changing the meaning of the Hebrew and ignoring the "of," the 2,100 year old Jerusalem translation of Genesis into Aramaic realizes that Be'reacheet is a compound word: the prefix Be' – with; and raesheet – a first wisdom. The meaning becomes: "With wisdom God created the heavens and the earth." That wisdom is the first part of creation finds its parallel repeatedly in the Bible. For example, "With the word of God the heavens were formed" (Ps. 33:6). And, "How manifold are Your works, Eternal, You made them all with wisdom" (Ps 104:24). And, "Raesheet hohmah - Beginning of wisdom," (Ps. 111:10). Wisdom is the fundamental building block of the universe, and as such it is an inherent characteristic. In the processes of life that wisdom finds its most complex revelation. Wisdom, information, an idea, is the link between the metaphysical creating Force and the physical creation. It is the hidden face of God.

Originally Posted by: Yada Yahweh - Genesis - chapter 2 - ' Go to Quoted Post
"In (near, with, and in proximity to, regarding the account of) the beginning (at the start of time and the initiation of the process of existence, concerning the first fruits, the head of the family), God (the Mighty One) accordingly created (performed a miracle, choosing perfect transformation and renewed birth, conceiving, planning, preparing, and producing) the universe, the spiritual world (the heavens, and the abode of stars) and also the material realm (matter, the physical and natural world).

Since Yada quoted from Gerald Schroeder in Yada Yahweh I had to have a look at his material, when I came across Gerald's quote concerning Genesis 1:1 I compared it with Yada's expansion of the verse in YY, I then noticed a slight difference in the opening words. So my question is: what is the real opening sentence of Genesis, or can anyone expand a little on the original Hebrew for me?