logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bitnet  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 4:46:33 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom Everyone and Happy Sabbath!

I would appreciate it very much if someone here could explain how to keep the coming Miqra in April. It has been a while since I had observed it 10 long years ago. Today, there are only two of us (my wife and I) and one other good friend keen on walking closely with Yahweh, but we are quite "green" in the practice of the Miqra with this renewed understanding. I'm sure that some good suggestions shall be forthcoming from the brethren gathered here.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Mike_Browell  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 7:46:29 AM(UTC)
Mike_Browell
Man

Peace and Happiness Everyone,
Not to be a thread stealer, sorry bitnet, but I would also like info on keeping the upcoming Miqra because I have never done so. I desire greatly to do these things fro my father.

Your Loving Brother,
Michael Browell.
Offline bitnet  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2008 4:47:41 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom Everybody!

It looks like it is not going to happen soon enough so I shall start the ball rolling by with this: there are least three people in Kuala Lumpur who shall be keeping Passover this April. If you are in the neighbourhood and are keen to join us, please write here and I shall contact you.

If there are others celebrating wherever you are, please indicate your location if you would like to share the Seder with some new or old friends. Let's be cautious but not too shy of each other lest we fail in meeting His commandment to assemble on the Miqra. As for Yada & KP, our hearts go to you guys as we understand your position as you really must be careful about whom you associate with so please do not have an "open house." Perhaps one day we shall meet.
Offline Icy  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2008 5:01:45 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
When is the actual time? I know we have basic calculations and those tell us that Passover is on April 19th. But, the karaite newletter that I recieve that actually figures out the dates based on the new moon and the barely harvest says that it will be either March 23 or April 22, depending on if the barley is ready or not. They will find that out later when it is time. But, basically we have 3 days looking us in the face right now, which one is the right one?
Offline bitnet  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2008 6:07:45 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Tadaaa! I knew this question about the barley may, er, crop up. Do we move with the Karaites or seek another day of observance? I'm pretty much in the dark about this as well but looking at the weather patterns I doubt it will be in March (hahaha, from a guy in the Far East who does not even know which end is which on a stalk of barley) and if it is April, it has to be 19 April 2008 as indicated by Yada's calendar which you can find under the heading Resources on the main page.
Offline Truth Seeker  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 29, 2008 5:47:55 PM(UTC)
Truth Seeker
Man

The barley controversy? I am familiar with that. It usually isn't an issue except for possibly every third year.Most of the times the Karaites and Orthodox observe Passover the same day.If not you will read of the "unity" message where messianic leaders suggest that we just follow the Hebrew calendar.The last time this affected us,we felt that using the ripe barley as an indicator was more Scripturally accurate.Or put another way,that method was more divinely controlled than a calendar formulated by man.Right or wrong,all one can do is pray for spiritual guidance.
Offline Noach  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2008 6:05:07 AM(UTC)
Noach

I think lot's of times we try to outsmart ourselves. Instead of just listening to what Yahuwah said, some people have taken what Yahuwah said and tried to make a science experiment out of it. Both Exodus 12 and Leviticus 23 are very clear regarding the time of the Passover observance. Both Scriptural sections predicate the timing for Passover on the calculation of the 14th day of the first month based on the calendar. Yahuwah set up an efficient time tracking system at creation and expected His family to follow it. Yahuwah designated the lights in the expanse of heaven to be for signs and the appointed times and for days and years. If this was good enough for Yahuwah, why try to add a science experiment to the mix?

Noah
Offline Truth Seeker  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2008 11:32:40 AM(UTC)
Truth Seeker
Man

But the Hebrew calendar is not reckoned the same way as it was in Biblical times.
"Since at least the 12th Century, the Hebrew calendar has determined this time mathematically, but prior to this tradition held that the 1st of Nisan does not start (and an intercalary month would be added) "until the barley is ripe." -from Wikipedia.

The regular,secular calendars don't always date Passover the same day as the Hebrew calendar.

Offline Heretic Steve  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:56:48 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline Icy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:08:38 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

That's last years calander (well, I guess it's still "this year" a little bit longer).
Offline Heretic Steve  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:17:42 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

Oops, glad you spotted that Icy. My bad.
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline Icy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 9:36:01 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

No problem. Maybe they will have the new one after the first of the year which will be at the end of this week.