logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2007 9:16:20 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I realize in one section of YY dealing with the appearant conflict of dating the Egyptian dynasties with the chronology of Scripture and surrounding peoples, that Criag tells us that the purpose of the work is not to correlate Scripture with secular history per se. That said I found Yada's insight on a Tabernacles (October 13th) 2 BCE timing of Yahushua's advent / tabernacling with us to be very helpful. What I'm trying to determine is the timing(s) of Quirinius as governor of Syria. The passage in question is from YY-I:3 Chay-Life chapter.

Quote:
The year of Yahushua’s birth is broadly believed by biblical scholars to be 4 BCE. This is based upon an erroneous extrapolation derived from Josephus’ recording of an eclipse on March 13, 4 BC, "shortly before Herod died." There are a number of problems with this in addition to the facts that it conflicts with Scripture and Josephus was a traitor who shouldn’t be trusted. The eclipse mentioned in the eyewitness account actually occurred on December 29, 1 BCE, providing enough time between Yahushua’s birth on the Miqra of Tabernacles and Herod’s eventual death for the Messiah’s family to flee his persecution. Luke explains that Yahushua was born during the reign of Caesar Augustus (43 BCE to 14 CE) when Quirinius was governor of Syria (3 to 2 BCE). Matthew states that Mary and Joseph took Yahushua to Egypt to escape Herod’s edict and that they didn’t return until after Herod’s demise, which occurred on January 14th 1 BCE.

Tertullian, a trustworthy historian born about 160 CE, stated that Augustus began his reign 41 years before the birth of Yahushua and that the emperor died 15 years after the Messiah’s redemptive advent, placing Yahushua’s birth at 2 BCE. The 42nd year of Augustus ran from the autumn of 2 BCE to the fall of 1 BCE. Tertullian also noted that the Messiah was born 28 years after the death of Cleopatra in 30 BCE, which is consistent with the 2 BCE date. Irenaeus, born 75 years before Tertullian, noted that Yahushua was born in the 41st year of Augustus’s reign - consistent with the accounting of Scripture and Tertullian. Eusebius, another early historian, provides cohobating testimony, ascribing the advent of the Messiah to the 28th anniversary of the subjection of Egypt unto the Romans and the death of Anthony and Cleopatra in the fall of 30 BCE.

John proclaims that "the Word became flesh and Tabernacled with us." Further, Luke explains that the Messiah was around 30 when He began His ministry. The New Covenant records Yahushua observing three Passovers, and Daniel dates the last one to April 1st, 33 CE. These dates correlate the time "a child was born, a son was given" to the fall observance of the last Miqra, that of Tabernacles in the fall of 2 BCE. And all of this serves to confirm that the Greater Light was indeed manifest in our presence as a sign to us in man’s fourth millennia in accordance with the Miqra/Mow’ed as they are predicted in Exodus, Leviticus, and Genesis and confirmed in Matthew, Luke, and John.

I gather the common assumptions of dating based on Josephus 4 BCE comet and would call into question not only Herod's death but other events as well? While I'm skeptical of both Josephus and wikipedia, if it is permitted their article http://en.wikipedia.org/...uirinius_and_the_Gospels indicates Qurinius as governor in 6CE but an unknown governor between 4-1 BCE. If anyone can shed light on this beyond fitting the eveidence for the timing of Yahushua's birth, I would appreciate it.

Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2007 6:07:34 AM(UTC)
kp

Since the discussion of Quirinius is pointless outside of the context of trying to pin down the actual date of Yahshua's birth in Bethlehem, I might add that there is some interesting material that confirms the Tabernacles 2 BC date Yada mentioned, in the Chronology Appendix to Future History. A bit of Chuck Misler's scholarship to thank for that.

kp
Offline Sator  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2007 9:11:58 AM(UTC)
Sator

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/quirinius.html

Here is a pretty decent rebut and reply on the subject. I call it decent because it actually list source documentation and is not just regurgitated hearsay. So you can actually look up the words of the evidence and make your own judgement

Sator