logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:09:21 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I was curious if anyone here is familiar with Lee Strobel's latest work. I realize that he is approaching apologetics from the perspective of evangelical christianity, but apparently it is addressing recent popular questions. Notably the DaVinci Code's allegation, the alledged Pagan roots of Judaism and Christianity, and the alleged lost tomb of Yeshua (I'm not sure what the transliteration on the object was but it was NOT Yahushua), wife and son. I was going to look at our library systems copy when it gets in, but would be interested what readers here think.

Some info is available at: http://www.leestrobel.com/
Offline Theophilus  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:02:10 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Well to my surprise the library called last nigh to say it was in. Just to give you a flavor the subtitle is "A Journalist Investigates Current Attacks on the Identity of Christ*" [Messiyah]

The Contents covers six themed challenges [*again the author uses the terms Jesus and Christ rather than Yahushua or Messiyah, although Dr. Brown uses Yeshua]

#1 "Scholars are uncovering a radically different Jesus* in ancient documents just as credible as the four gospels"

#2 "The bible's portrait of Jesus* can't be trusted because the church tampered with the documents"
[perhaps but not in the manner Dan Brown advances]

#3 Part 1 "New explanations have refuted Jesus'* resurrection"
#3 Part 2 "The Cross-Examination"

#4 "Christianity's beliefs about Jesus* were copied from Pagan religions"

#5 "Jesus* was an imposter who failed to fulfill the Messianic prophecies"
[I noticed this section features Michael Brown providing a Messianic perspective]

#6 "People should be free to pick and choose what to believe about Jesus*
[we are but will consequences]

Conclusions discovering the real Jesus*"

I'll let you know if anything extraordinary turns up. I actually saw a video featuring Lee and other guests just before the movie release of DaVinci Code, which I thought did a fair job of explaining the background behind the theories advnaced in the film and book.
Offline CK  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:54:33 PM(UTC)
CK

I like Lee's books. They were instrumental in my early walk. And I too like his journalistic style. Considering he was once an atheist who became a believer, I have every hope that he will come to know Yahushua in a very personal way. I hope his journalistic nose will lead him there. I will most likely read his new book when it crosses my path. Thanks for the heads up on it.
Offline Theophilus  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:19:27 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

CK wrote:
I like Lee's books. They were instrumental in my early walk. And I too like his journalistic style. Considering he was once an atheist who became a believer, I have every hope that he will come to know Yahushua in a very personal way. I hope his journalistic nose will lead him there. I will most likely read his new book when it crosses my path. Thanks for the heads up on it.

I've heard from some skeptics on Lee, who found that he did not persue their questions in the depth they'd like to see or satisfy their specific concerns. I can see their position somwhat but noted that the titles Lee used indicated that these are cases in the affirmative rather than the case for and against. Certainly in persuing the affirmative he references the negative but not as in a debate format. Lee mentions that the questions he askes are or were his personal ones that kept him indifferent or opposed to Messiah.

I found this most recent one to be better that his earlier works and deals with as the title indicates more current objections or older ones not covered before. I've been reading selected chapters and have enjoyed the Jewish arguements aganinst accepting Yahshua as Messiah based on prophecies in the Tanahk, but also realize it only touches the surface of deep questions, but atleast points readers to where they can learn more. I do find him to be quite readable even if the brevity leaves you wanting to dig deeper.