logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Believer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2007 4:09:16 PM(UTC)
Believer

Please could someone help me with this one? I would be very pleased if someone in the YY team commented on this:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~theseeker/Yahweh.htm

I would also like to add that the site posted above is some kind of New Age site, and therefore, its full of non-sense and ignorance.
But it would be very good to see a rebuttal to the article above, and team YY studied a lot on the subject, so I would like to have your input.

Thank you.
Offline Sator  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2007 10:14:16 PM(UTC)
Sator

Firstly, I am not one of the YY team

I have read various stuff like this over the years. Without source documentation for anything at all on the page it's hard to go back to THEIR source documentation to make comparisons against. It would take me weeks or even months to refute or answer each sentence on the page since it looks like they just "threw paint on the canvas" instead of painting a picture.

To rebut;

the author states
"Contrary to popular belief the Hebrews did not originally have a monotheistic religion. Theirs were the gods and goddesses of the land from which they were native; the hierarchy of gods and goddesses who included Baal, the god of storms, who made the land fertile, and Lotan, the seven-headed dragon, known to Old Testament readers as Leviathan. Ashera, identical to the Egyptian Isis, There is Yam Nahar, the god of the seas and rivers, and other pantheons and hierarchies of gods and goddesses. A little known fact is that the Hebrews also had twelve main deities and a multitude of minor ones."

My answer
Considering that Yahweh was the first and only true God, He was constantly having to drag his people back from following false Gods or following the "local god of the moment". Not the opposite, where they were originally following false Gods and Yahweh introduced himself as somebody new. This concept is practically on every page of the old testament.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look up the genealogy from Adam to Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac(Yitzchak), Jacob(Yaʿqobl;Yisraʾel) and continued with his 12 Sons and on up to Yahushua to see who their Elohim is. You can look up any of the names below in Genesis and see who their God was.

ADAM (1) SETH (2) ENOS (3) CAINAN (4) MAHALEEL (5) JARED (6) ENOCH (7) METHUSALEH (8) LAMECH (9) NOAH (10) SHEM (11) ARPHAXAD (12) CAINAN (13) SALA (14) EBER (15) PELEG (16) RAGAU (17) SARUCH (18) NAHOR (19) TERAH (20) ABRAHAM (21) ISAAC (22) JACOB (23)

A few thoughts to ponder about the linked page in general:
Islam copied innumerable things from the bible to make their 'sacred" books. They cut it up, made it sound religious, twisted it to fit their needs (subduing their enemies for world domination) etc.. It would be easy to see where local religious people of the time, tribal shamans and the like took the Torah, or in the days before all 5 books were written, the early chapters of Genesis and "doctered them to meet their own agenda, political gains, or national entity. Or just translated the stories from generation to generation loosing a part of the whole history as each generation passes; as is common with tribal peoples that pass their entire history through word of mouth. It gets distorted over time.
Anyone that has read the Torah would laugh at the ridiculousness of the writings on the page. It is clear the author of the page hasn't read it, or even the first few chapters of Genesis for that matter. So its hard to take it seriously when the author of the page doesn't even do basic validation checking.

An example of some things that would make sense if the people writing the page actually thought about it for a whole ummmm 5 seconds!

Tower of Babel:
consider the Tower of babel where various languages where produced. Well of course each nation is going to have this same story in their own language. Since all the various stories recounting the Tower of babel are talking about the same event. I am sure all the various people who where SCATTERED wrote of the event and carried it or spoke it (in their own language) down their generations. Numerous tribes even today pass down their tribal history through word of mouth from father to Son etc...

"So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city.' Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of all the earth; and from there the LORD scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth." (Genesis 11:--9).

Enki
taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enki below

Enki was not perfect, as god of water he had a penchant for beer and as god of semen he had a string of incestuous affairs. In the epic Enki and Ninhursag, he and his consort Ninhursag had a daughter Ninsar. When Ninhursag left him he came upon and then had intercourse with Ninsar (Lady Greenery) who gave birth to Ninkurra (Lady Fruitfulness or Lady Pasture).

Does this sound like a God who can create mankind and confuse Language? Sounds like a very early version of Muhammad, prophet of Islam to me.

Flood:
The Author compares two completely different events and thinks they are the same:
Gilgamesh flood:
Atrahasis tablet III iv, lines 6-9 clearly identify the flood as a local river flood: "Like dragonflies they [dead bodies] have filled the river. Like a raft they have moved in to the edge [of the boat]. Like a raft they have moved in to the riverbank." it was only 6 days and 7 nights also.

Noah flood:
40 days and nights. enough said.

I would spend more time on this but I am worried that we are all running out of time and all of our time would much better be spent loving (Mt 22:40) learning the scripture (2 Timothy 2:15) and passing it on. Some people may not agree but you don't have to learn a single thing about other religions or refute other religions to point people to the word of Yahweh

We can spend the next 10-15 years studying various world religions or learn to point at the word of Yahweh. I personally am not intelligent enough to tackle both tasks.

Sator

Offline bitnet  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 12:45:13 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom All,

Sator is right. Seven months after he posted this I have come to the same conclusion: let error sort itself out while we focus on Truth. Time is quite limited. Tht said, if you have the time and penchant for such arduous tasks, perhaps you may want to rebut one or more religions and we would welcome your postings. :-)

Shalom Aleichem!
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.