logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline gammafighter  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2008 5:08:26 PM(UTC)
gammafighter
Man

Taken from Yada Yahweh Book III - Going Astray -- Chapter 1 Azab

Quote:
The notion that YHWH was "written without vowels" isn't actually true. There were five vowels, or more precisely, consonant-vowels, in Paleo Hebrew, the alphabet of revelation. The yod represented the "ya" sound and the wah is phonetically conveyed identically to the English "u." Therefore, Yhwh is most correctly transliterated "Yahuweh" in English. Yahweh would also be correct so long as one recognizes that the "w" is pronounced like a "u." There is no mystery here. The correct pronunciation of Yahuweh's name is preserved in the alphebe God chose to represent it. Yahuweh wrote His name on the Ten Commandments as: hwhy.

I'm no Hebrew scholar, so I'll have to just trust Yada on this. WAIT A SECOND! I can't just blindly trust him! That's how religions work!

Does anyone have any sources that help explain Paleo-Hebrew? Specifically, i'm looking for credible sources that either confirm or deny Yada's assertion here. I would look for it myself, but it's so hard to sift through the junk sometimes. And most of the time, websites will be politicized, so you can't really trust that they are giving you unbiased information. I don't necessarily want a huge explanation of all the subtle nuances of the Paleo-Hebraic language- a basic explanation of this particular subject would suffice.

Note: I looked around in Wikipedia, which I admit isn't a very reliable source. Apparently Yod is "Ea" or "Ee", He is "h" as in "house" and Vov is "v". That would make Eehuvuhuh. I'm guessing that's not Paleo-Hebrew, however, which would mean they probably are just consonants, not consonant vowels. So that was mostly a waste of time, but at least i'm trying right? Anyone care to jump in and help a blind, clueless brother out?
Offline Icy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:03:05 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This is pdf online that does a great job of explaining it: http://yahweh.org/publications/sny/sn09Chap.pdf. The pdf is 16 pages long, it is well researched and actually goes quite in depth.

We have actually covered this question several times in this topic, if you look at the bottom of the "In His Name" topic and click the dog ear for "Show Topics" and choose "All", you will see some of the previous disscussions. I believe there are several other links from other people within these posts, so you've got some reading cut out for you.

Thanks for bringing up the question, though, gamma, as I'm sure some of newer members have wondered the same thing.

Offline jojocc  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:03:54 PM(UTC)
jojocc

Does Tanakhi Hebrew differ from modern Hebrew. Half the people I ask here say yes, and the other half don't know. I know that there are words in Tanakhi Hebrew that are not used in Modern Hebrew, a bit like reading Chaucerian or Shakespearian English I spose?

Were the letters pronounced differently back then (e.g some have told me that 'Tav' which we now pronounce with a T sound was actually pronounced back then with a Th sound...etc)

Would that make a difference to the pronounciation of YHWH's name?
Offline jojocc  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:20:51 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Um, not sure about that.

In modern Hebrew the vav is sometimes pronounced as a hard v, sometimes as a w and sometimes as an o or u sound. It depends on the word and the context (usually if it is a v sound we write two vav's).

Offline Mark  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2008 2:39:50 AM(UTC)
Mark

Enjoyed finding this web-site and its Forum. Just exploring and was wondering who Yada is. Also what is the significance of the "points" of the members?
Appreciate anyones answer.

Offline Mike  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2008 2:41:32 PM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hi Mark, Welcome to the Forum.
Yada is Yada, the author of Yada Yahweh.

As far as the significance of "points", I copied this from a previous post.

"As far as rank goes, you are a "newbie" until you have 3 posts (I believe) then you are a "member". After 30 posts, you become an "advanced member". I think these are set by the admin, so they could be changed. Those are the only ranks you can progress through, as far as I know. The other two that you have seen, "moderator" and "admin" are set by the administrator of the forum. Whoever is "admin" has the power to grant others "moderator" or "admin" privaliges. Yada was asking for people that might be interested in helping him out as moderator (that's how I got the rank), so PM him if you are interested. "

"They don't mean anything. They are a part of the forum software that other sites might want to use. For instance, there could be a forum that to have access to, you have to have x amount of points, basically proving that you are dedicated to the forum. We don't use them here. Although, I still don't know how you lose points, I think Yada is like negetive two thousand and something. "
Offline gammafighter  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:51:28 PM(UTC)
gammafighter
Man

Well now i'm really embarrassed. I should have searched the forums more thoroughly before posting this topic. As Icy said, there are already topics on this. In my defense, I didn't realize that the forum was only showing topics that were posted within the last month.
Offline Icy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2008 3:20:10 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Easy mistake gamma. It was awhile before I realized that all the old posts were not visible. I kept wondering why in the world there were not all that many posts, or where ones had gone that I thought I had seen before.
Offline jojocc  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:26:52 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Swalchy wrote:
Is the following information as found on Derech.org right in your eyes, jojocc. You've definitely got better familiarity with Hebrew than I do:

The sound of Waw is 'w' or 'v' as in 'Wine' or 'Vine'. Modern Hebrew uses this letter as a 'v' sound while Biblical Hebrew uses this letter as a 'w' sound.
Hebrew does not have vowels but a system has been developed for the beginning reader to indicate the vowel sound using vowel points.
The Waw (Vav) is the only Hebrew letter used at times to indicate the vowel sound.
The Waw with a dot (dagesh) above it turns the letter into a vowel called holem. It has the sound of a long 'o' as in 'Lord'.
The Waw with a dot (dagesh) inside the hook turns the letter into a vowel called shureq. It has the sound of 'oo' as in Truth.

Hi, sorry has been so long, things have been a tad hectic recently.

Basically, no. In modern Hebrew, the vav can be a 'v' or a 'w' sound. It can also be used to signify an 'o' or a 'u' sound. Most of the time if the vav has a 'v' sound, a double vav is used, but this is not always the case.

The yud is also used to indicate an 'i/ee' sound, and a hey at the end of a word is pronounced with an 'ah' or an 'eh' sound depending on context and/or gender.

Hope that helps
:-)
Offline jojocc  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:39:31 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Sort of, I'm finding this really hard to explain without the help of a blackboard.

And I'm not really the best person to ask, I get by in Hebrew and can just about read the newspapers, but that about it at the moment - I'm learning like mad tho :-)

Offline Theophilus  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:39:41 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I hope the authors understand the excellent point Gamma brought up. We sought truth and while recognizing it, where possible want to take it apart and see what Yada and KP have with our own eyes. Okay maybe I'm speaking out of turn and it's just Gamma and I?

I'm still struggling with learning (paleo-) Hebrew even while learning much here. Part of my frustration is seeing the variations in transliterated spellings. I'm also trying to understand just what the Masorites did in applying vowel points to the consanants in the Tanahk. How can we be certain what the intended words and meaning were without vowels? Most frustrating.