logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tiffany  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2008 9:12:13 PM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

So I have a question based on the idea of predestination. Can you be predestine and still choose a different path? Does anyone have any word study for predestination? Was it part of the orginal text? The reason I ask this is because for most of my life I was part of what I would consider the church of Laodicea and now I believe I am part of the Philadelphian church.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Tiffany
Offline Icy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:13:42 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I think predestination would be a cruel joke. The idea of predestination and choice are mutually exclusive. If you are predestined, then it means no matter what choices you think you are making, they are meaningless because you are "supposed" to make those choices and you end will be the same.

But, just because we are not predestined does not mean that Yahuweh does not know what choices we will make. I once had an history teacher that made it is his to get his students to think for themselves. I don't remember the Christian sect we were discussing (Calvinisim maybe?) but their idea was that since God knew everything, then we were predestined. Our teacher got us to think about this asking us how we can have free will in this case. He never gave us an answer, but it really is simple: we are given the ability to make whatever choice we want, Yahuweh just knows what choice we will make, he does not make that choice for us. Being predestined would mean that Yahuweh put us all here and wrote a script for us all to follow and we all do exactly what we are supposed to. Kind of pointless, huh? Instead, he wants us to choose to love him. If he controls us like puppets (predestination) then how can we make a choice to love him?
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2008 12:39:58 PM(UTC)
kp

I'd like to point something out. The word "predestine" (Greek: proorizo)is used only six times in scripture. Two of these refer to the inevitable outworking of the plan of God. The other four all refer to what condition we as believers---we who have already chosen to follow Yahshua---are "predestined" to share, something which, to be brutally honest, is something none of us have fully come to embody---yet. And what is that? "To be conformed into the image of God's Son." The scriptures say nothing about individual souls being predestined to choosing one path or another.

kp
Offline nagantmosin  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2008 1:33:55 PM(UTC)
nagantmosin

Has anyone considered the possibility that "free will" and "predestination" are both true?

Pro 16:1 To man belongs the preparations of the heart, But from Yahuweh is the answer of the tongue.

Pro 16:9 A man’s heart plans his way, But Yahuweh establishes his steps.

Pro 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap, But every decision by it is from Yahuweh.

Pro 21:1 The sovereign’s heart is as channels of water In the hand of Yahuweh; He turns it wherever He wishes.

Pro 21:31 The horse is prepared for the day of battle, But the deliverance is of Yahuweh.

Shalom,

N

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2008 1:45:20 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
nagantmosin wrote:
Has anyone considered the possibility that "free will" and "predestination" are both true?

short answer = kindof

Longer answer... personally - in the past I would have said its free will all the way, and the Calvinists are bonkers. But now I would still say the Calvinists are bonkers, BUT like most have said Yahuweh knows what you are gonna do - Hes seen it, He can plan for it. And possibly in our small linear mind, we cant comprehend this - so the next logical human step is to jump into the complete denial of Yah guiding each footstep from birth, or to believing that you were created as a remote controlled plaything. But I believe there is a middle ground, Im not saying that Yah predestines our "path", but I am saying that He knows what He has to work with :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...