logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#51 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2008 3:50:38 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I can back up the fear of Sunday - I know I have felt it personally, I think its more a reaction to finding out pretty much everything you believed actually has a larger slant to it... I think we all need to be careful about not letting our feelings cloud what Yah has revealed - otherwise we will end up like everything else has.

A very astute post Shalom :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline canasia_us  
#52 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2008 11:45:54 AM(UTC)
canasia_us

shalom82 wrote:
Augustus ruled until his death in August of 14 C.E. A month later Tiberius was official "sworn in" by the Senate as Princeps on the date of September 18th 14 C.E. That is the official start of Tiberius' reign even if he had imperial duties beforehand. I don't see any reason why the matter should be convoluted. I think it would do us well to remember that these men were the emperors of the world. Their reigns were exceedingly well documented and catalogued. This would put the 15th year of Tiberius in 29 C.E. as Swalchy said. You count back 30 years and you get a birthdate in the year 2 B.C. (remembering that there is no year zero) for Messiah Yahushua

The accepted year of 4 B.C.E. as the year of the death of Herod the great is suspect. First off it was only a partial eclipse that was 37 percent visible. Secondly it was only 29 days before the Passover. According to the History of Josephus it would have been virtually impossible for Herod to accomplish the remaining events of his life in such a short time. The years 3 and 2 B.C.E. did not have ecclipses. However, the year 1 B.C.E. did. It was a full lunar ecclipse on January 10th. That would have given Herod around 12 weeks to scratch some things off his to do list and kick the bucket.

I will concede that the 5 B.C.E. argument has been put forth. There were 2 lunar ecclipses that year...one being seven months before the Passover. Problem is that the events don't match up in Josephus history was to when the priestly intrigues were.

Lastly, I don't understand the Messianic aversion to a Friday Pesach. The "Christian" position is not being upheld merely because of a "resurrection Sunday". The pagan days and months of reckoning are inconsequential to YHWH's calendar. Only one day has any real significance as it pertains to the redemption chronology. That day being Saturday. The feast of unleavened bread (Chag HaMatzot) fell on a natural sabbath....in keeping with the theme of the seventh day...where no work could be done...unleavened bread being the day where we were made clean..sanctified by Yahushua...by no effort of our own. So whether or not Yahushua was risen as a wave offering on a Sunday is of no consequence to YHWH. It's just the day that the 16th of Aviv (being Bikkurim) happens to fall on. The first day just so happens to be the day after the sabbath. I have to say that I believe the aversion to a Sunday resurrection to be sociological...more than logical...I understand the reasons for the fear and hostility towards Sunday...but YHWH's calendar is what matters here. Sunday remains inconsequential. Aviv 16th remains highly consequential what ever day it may fall on.

Now, Sincerely if I may ask...and I hope I haven't made some monumental blunder...but I have ticked off the days after a Pesach that starts on Tuesday evening. Thursday evening to Friday evening was Bikkurim...by your reckoning, canasia...the Messiah forgot to wake up and present himself to the throne on First Fruits. How are the moedim fulfilled?

Well, my question is, why is the "Christian" position of a Friday Pesach being upheld? There are many problems with a Friday Pesach. A Friday Pesach produces problems between the gospel accounts as described in an earlier post. For example, Mark 16:1 says Mary bought spices AFTER the Sabbath. Mark 16:2 says that Mary then went to the tomb early the first day of the week. Luke 23:56 says that the women prepared spices BEFORE the Sabbath. The only way these can be made to correlate is if there were two Sabbaths that week, as the Greek implies in Matthew 28:1 where the word translated Sabbath is plural.

A Friday Pesach means only 1.5 days before He was resurrected if we include part of Sunday in that number, versus the 3 days and 3 nights that was supposed to elapse before His resurrection. Try debating with Muslims with that inconsistency. Are we trying to preserve Friday Pesach simply for the sake of tradition?

As far as I can see, there is no aversion to Sunday being the day of resurrection.

I find many problems with your argument.

1. Nothing in history is as clear-cut as you make it sound.
2. There were multiple eclipses every year according to the NASA Lunar Eclipse data.
3. Your Lunar Eclipse data does not show up in NASA's Lunar Eclipse data.
4. The Feast of Unleavened Bread is a 7 day feast which always immediately followed the 1 day Feast of Passover. In the 7 day Feast of Unleavened Bread, the first and last day were also treated as Sabbaths where no work was to be performed. Each of those two days needed a preceding "day of preparation" so that they would not need to do work on the Sabbath days (such as cook food). And you are not taking into account that Saturday Sabbath "floats" relative to all the other Feasts, meaning that some years the Saturday Sabbath landed on a first or last day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread and some years it did not.

Tuesday evening started Passover. That was the night of Yahshua's arrest. Wednesday was his crucifixion and burial, fulfilling the entire Passover. The very next day (Thursday) was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, also known as a Sabbath (no work). So far, none of the ladies have bought or prepared spices, although they do know where and how Yahshua is buried. Friday, the ladies buy and prepare the spices. But Friday is also another preparation day (for the next day - the Saturday Sabbath) so they have no time to tend to Yahshua's body. Saturday comes and goes (no work). Then early Sunday morning, the women go to tend to Yahshua's body, who by now of course, has risen from the dead. This all means that Yahshua was in the tomb from Wednesday evening to Saturday evening. And it means that Yahshua as the Wave Offering, did present it to God the Father on the first day.

The wave offering was not offered on the 16th day of Nisan, as you claim, and there is no Biblical evidence for it. There is nothing in Joshua 4 and 5 indicating that the Israelites observed the Feast of First-Fruits. Additionally, Leviticus 23:11 clearly indicates that the Wave Offering of the First-Fruits was to be offered on the day following the Sabbath (Saturday), which makes the Feast of First-Fruits always a Sunday, and not as you say the 2nd day after Passover.

Now, I will admit, there is one very big objection to this whole scenario. Yahshua's body would have been in the tomb for 3.5 days by the time the women have a chance to tend to Him. I cannot imagine them not thinking that by then, His body would have started to decay. They must have been in quite a hurry that Sunday morning. Even Matthew says they left before dawn.
Offline shalom82  
#53 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2008 9:54:43 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Tiberius was a reluctant leader and he took his leave both before and after his ordination as Princeps. I find it hard to believe that a man so inclined would rush into recieving Imperial status. The date the Romans give us is indeed September 18th of 14 C.E. They have no reason to argue or be biased in favor of the position that I maintain. To make sure that my chronology was indeed correct I went back to the watershed year of 70 C.E. (there is no debate to this being the year when the second temple was destroyed). I went back from that date checking the chronologies of the reigns. They matched up. Sept 18th 14 C.E. is the official start of Tiberius' reign as ratified by the Senate. I confirmed this with the works of several classicists of note, including Garrett Fagan. I don't expect that that name will mean much, but it does to those in the classical field. I studied the classics intensely for 4 years in anticipation of entering a Classics program. I know this will come off as arrogant but this is something that I know a great deal about and I reluctantly put it aside when I was "awakened". There is no reason to believe that the 14 C.E. date is suspect. And I quote, "Roman history indicates AD 29 was Tiberius' fifteenth year and no substantial evidence to the contrary has surfaced." If we go down the road of making all of history suspect, then we will have no supporting evidence or backround information. We go down this road of calling into question every conclusion and belief and throwing away all history and we become a baseless camp of nutty conspiracy theorists. I stand by that statement.

Strong anecdotal evidence also offers itself to a date after 31 C.E. That is the death of Sejanus. Sejanus was the Praetorian Prefect of Roma during the reign of Tiberius. Tiberius had such a distaste for his position that he entrusted the Imperial bureauacracy to Sejanus...making him all but emperor. Sejanus the opposite of Tiberius (craving the title of Prineps and Imperator) hatched a plot to do away with Tiberius. In 31 the plot was found out and Sejanus his family and his supporters were imprisoned and massacred. Being a friend to Caesar became a very important thing. The carrying out of retribution against the Sejanus camp went well into 34 C.E. "Over the next three to four years, many people were tried. Some were convicted and executed; some were allowed to turn state's evidence; some were acquitted. All in all, several dozen people were executed.Footnote49 Satisfied that the conspiracy had been sufficiently rooted out, Tiberius dropped the matter around 34 CE. He died shortly thereafter in 37 CE."
We see two very different Pontius Pilates emerge. The pre 31 Pilate was a vicious Jew baiting, oppresive governor. In all likelihood he was Sejanus' appointment and was carrying out a general anti-Yahudi policy inspired by the visceral Jew hating Sejanus. We see a post 31 Pilate that is weak willed and very eager to appease the Yahudim. In the wake of 31, Tiberius repealed Sejanus' policies towards the Yahudim

Quote:
It is likely that Pilate was simply carrying out Sejanus' anti-semitic policy. Philo does not actually say this; rather, this is inferred from what Philo says in the following passage.

"Therefore everyone everywhere, even if he was not naturally well disposed toward the Jews, was afraid to engage in destroying any of our institutions, and indeed it was the same under Tiberius though matters in Italy became troublesome when Sejanus was organizing his onslaughts. For Tiberius knew the truth, he knew at once after Sejanus' death that the accusations made against the Jewish inhabitants of Rome were false slanders, invented by him because he wished to make away with the nation, knowing that it would take the sole or the principal part in opposing his unholy plots and actions, and would defend the emperor when in danger of becoming the victim of treachery. And he charged his procurators in every place to which they were appointed to speak comfortably to the members of our nation in the different cities, assuring them that the penal measures did not extend to all but only to the guilty, who were few, and to disturb none of the established customs but even to regard them as a trust committed to their care, the people as naturally peaceable, and the institutions as an influence promoting orderly conduct."Footnote56 (italics mine)

It is clear from this passage that Sejanus was propagating anti-semitic policies while he was in power. It is also clear that procurators with jurisdiction over Jewish communities practiced those policies under Sejanus' authority. Finally, it is clear that Tiberius told those procurators that such policy was no longer permissible.

What prefect would have had more policies concerning the Jews than Pilate? Certainly Pilate's treatment of the Jews prior to the fall of Sejanus conforms to Sejanus' policies, as we will see. Pilate must have received Tiberius' edict after Sejanus' execution, for his treatment of the Jews changes after 32 CE, as we will also see. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that Pilate was either appointed to his position by Sejanus, or at least that he was a willing executor of Sejanus' policies toward the Jews.

Pilate in light of this would have two reasons to appease the Yahudim....to disassociate himself from Sejanus and to make himself a faithful servant to the will of Tiberius (a friend of Caesar).

At the moment I don't have time to write about Yahushua 4 and 5. I will try to get to it later.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Icy  
#54 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 2:54:56 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Canasia, as far as Firstfruits is concerned, you undermine your own theory. You rightly assert that Unleavened bread begins and ends with a Sabbath and that the weekly Sabbath can fall on those days or any day inbetween. But, when you rightly claim that Leviticus 23:11 indicates the wave offering was to be offered the day following the Sabbath, you immideatly jump to the weekly sabbath rather than the first Sabbath of Unleavened bread. Why skip the UB Sabbath? The very first time Firstfruits was celebrated was when the people entered the land, and it is recorded in Joshua 5:10-12:
Quote:
10 On the evening of the fourteenth day of the month, while camped at Gilgal on the plains of Jericho, the Israelites celebrated the Passover. 11 The day after the Passover, that very day, they ate some of the produce of the land: unleavened bread and roasted grain. 12 The manna stopped the day after [c] they ate this food from the land; there was no longer any manna for the Israelites, but that year they ate of the produce of Canaan.
The very day after the first day of UB, the manna stopped, this was the day after the Sabbath (doesn't matter what the day of the week was, UB was a Sabbath) and was the first Firstfruits.
Offline canasia_us  
#55 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 8:44:33 AM(UTC)
canasia_us

Icy wrote:
Canasia, as far as Firstfruits is concerned, you undermine your own theory. You rightly assert that Unleavened bread begins and ends with a Sabbath and that the weekly Sabbath can fall on those days or any day inbetween. But, when you rightly claim that Leviticus 23:11 indicates the wave offering was to be offered the day following the Sabbath, you immideatly jump to the weekly sabbath rather than the first Sabbath of Unleavened bread. Why skip the UB Sabbath? The very first time Firstfruits was celebrated was when the people entered the land, and it is recorded in Joshua 5:10-12: The very day after the first day of UB, the manna stopped, this was the day after the Sabbath (doesn't matter what the day of the week was, UB was a Sabbath) and was the first Firstfruits.

Icy. yes, I read that part in Joshua too and yes, it does say they celebrated Passover and it does say that the day after Passover (the UB sabbath), they ate of the produce of the land, unleavened cakes and parched grain, and it does say that the manna ceased on the day after the UB sabbath. But it does not say anything about the firstfruits or offering firstfruits or the Wave Offering. All it says is that they ate of the produce of the land that year. The Wave Offering was made later.

The sabbath that is referred to in Leviticus 23:11 is the weekly Sabbath, and not the UB Sabbath. We know that because of how Pentecost is derived. They had to start counting 50 days from the day after the Saturday Sabbath, the day of the Wave Offering. To get a total of 7 Sabbaths during that 50 day period, from the offering of the Wave offering, they had to be counting Saturday Sabbaths. If they had started counting from the day after the UB Sabbath (there was two actually - the 1st and 7th day of UB Feast), they'd end up with a Sabbath count of 8 or 9.
Offline canasia_us  
#56 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 8:55:21 AM(UTC)
canasia_us

shalom82 wrote:
Tiberius was a reluctant leader and he took his leave both before and after his ordination as Princeps. I find it hard to believe that a man so inclined would rush into recieving Imperial status. The date the Romans give us is indeed September 18th of 14 C.E. They have no reason to argue or be biased in favor of the position that I maintain. To make sure that my chronology was indeed correct I went back to the watershed year of 70 C.E. (there is no debate to this being the year when the second temple was destroyed). I went back from that date checking the chronologies of the reigns. They matched up. Sept 18th 14 C.E. is the official start of Tiberius' reign as ratified by the Senate. I confirmed this with the works of several classicists of note, including Garrett Fagan. I don't expect that that name will mean much, but it does to those in the classical field. I studied the classics intensely for 4 years in anticipation of entering a Classics program. I know this will come off as arrogant but this is something that I know a great deal about and I reluctantly put it aside when I was "awakened". There is no reason to believe that the 14 C.E. date is suspect. And I quote, "Roman history indicates AD 29 was Tiberius' fifteenth year and no substantial evidence to the contrary has surfaced." If we go down the road of making all of history suspect, then we will have no supporting evidence or backround information. We go down this road of calling into question every conclusion and belief and throwing away all history and we become a baseless camp of nutty conspiracy theorists. I stand by that statement.

Strong anecdotal evidence also offers itself to a date after 31 C.E. That is the death of Sejanus. Sejanus was the Praetorian Prefect of Roma during the reign of Tiberius. Tiberius had such a distaste for his position that he entrusted the Imperial bureauacracy to Sejanus...making him all but emperor. Sejanus the opposite of Tiberius (craving the title of Prineps and Imperator) hatched a plot to do away with Tiberius. In 31 the plot was found out and Sejanus his family and his supporters were imprisoned and massacred. Being a friend to Caesar became a very important thing. The carrying out of retribution against the Sejanus camp went well into 34 C.E. "Over the next three to four years, many people were tried. Some were convicted and executed; some were allowed to turn state's evidence; some were acquitted. All in all, several dozen people were executed.Footnote49 Satisfied that the conspiracy had been sufficiently rooted out, Tiberius dropped the matter around 34 CE. He died shortly thereafter in 37 CE."
We see two very different Pontius Pilates emerge. The pre 31 Pilate was a vicious Jew baiting, oppresive governor. In all likelihood he was Sejanus' appointment and was carrying out a general anti-Yahudi policy inspired by the visceral Jew hating Sejanus. We see a post 31 Pilate that is weak willed and very eager to appease the Yahudim. In the wake of 31, Tiberius repealed Sejanus' policies towards the Yahudim

Pilate in light of this would have two reasons to appease the Yahudim....to disassociate himself from Sejanus and to make himself a faithful servant to the will of Tiberius (a friend of Caesar).

At the moment I don't have time to write about Yahushua 4 and 5. I will try to get to it later.

Shalom82. The 14 AD beginning of Tiberius' official reign is probably entirely accurate; I don't dispute that. My argument is that he had been appointed Augustus' successor 10 years earlier. It would be perfectly understandable that news of his appointment was Empire wide and that some historians may have actually started dating events from that time, or at some point during those ten years between his appointment and his actual succession. As for Tiberius himself, it would be perfectly understandable that when first appointed, he was totally gung-ho (to use some army lingo) to be Emperor but lost his enthusiasm when he was faced with the reality of actually ruling a worldwide empire.

I agree with you on all your points on Sejanus and Pontius Pilate.
Offline shalom82  
#57 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 8:59:11 AM(UTC)
shalom82

the point is that you can not eat of the land until YHWH is offered the omer reshith. The produce of the land would have been forbidden fruit until such an offering. The fact that they were eating what the land produced indicates the wave offering had taken place.
Offline Icy  
#58 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 9:15:39 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Leviticus 23:9-14 wrote:
9 The LORD said to Moses, 10 "Speak to the Israelites and say to them: 'When you enter the land I am going to give you and you reap its harvest, bring to the priest a sheaf of the first grain you harvest. 11 He is to wave the sheaf before the LORD so it will be accepted on your behalf; the priest is to wave it on the day after the Sabbath. 12 On the day you wave the sheaf, you must sacrifice as a burnt offering to the LORD a lamb a year old without defect, 13 together with its grain offering of two-tenths of an ephah [a] of fine flour mixed with oil—an offering made to the LORD by fire, a pleasing aroma—and its drink offering of a quarter of a hin [b] of wine. 14 You must not eat any bread, or roasted or new grain, until the very day you bring this offering to your God. This is to be a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live

Like Shalom82 said, they could not have eaten the fruit of the land until they made the offereing and celebrated Firstfruits.
Offline canasia_us  
#59 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 6:20:16 PM(UTC)
canasia_us

Okay, I'll concede they made a wave offering. But that wave offering had to have been made on the Sunday in that 7 day Feast of Unleavened Bread period immediately following the Saturday Sabbath. That's the only way you can get the required 7 Sabbaths (not 8 or 9) within a 50-day period, from the day they made the wave offering, to the Feast of Weeks, which is what they had to count.

Leviticus 23:15-16

"And ye have numbered to you from the morrow of the sabbath, from the day of your bringing in the sheaf of the wave-offering: they are seven perfect sabbaths; unto the morrow of the seventh sabbath (which is a Sunday and it's Pentecost) ye do number fifty days, and ye have brought near a new present to Jehovah;"

Gord
Offline shalom82  
#60 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 11:11:26 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Shalom Canasia,
I am sorry for earlier confusion, I did not realize until your last post that you advocate the Boethusian position of the sadducees.

I would like to make a few points...

If you trust the septuagint...some confusion could be alleviated...
To be clear I am using ISR...but I shall render the differences found in the text of the septuagint.

Lev 23:6 ‘And on the fifteenth day of this month is the Festival of Unleavened Bread to יהוה – seven days you eat unleavened bread.
Lev 23:7 ‘On the first day you have a set-apart gathering, you do no servile work.
Lev 23:8 ‘And you shall bring an offering made by fire to יהוה for seven days. On the seventh day is a set-apart gathering, you do no servile work.’ ”
Lev 23:9 And יהוה spoke to Mosheh, saying,
Lev 23:10 “Speak to the children of Yisra’ĕl, and you shall say to them, ‘When you come into the land which I give you, and shall reap its harvest, then you shall bring a sheaf of the first-fruits of your harvest to the priest.
Lev 23:11 ‘And he shall wave the sheaf before יהוה, for your acceptance. On the morrow after the [first day] the priest waves it.

let's go on...

Lev 23:15 ‘And from the morrow after the Sabbath, from the day that you brought the sheaf of the wave offering, you shall count for yourselves: seven [complete weeks].
Lev 23:16 ‘Until the morrow after the seventh [week] you count fifty days, then you shall bring a new grain offering to יהוה.

just to show that I am not fooling with the text and my rendering is possible...even probable here is the JPS

Lev 23:15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the day of rest, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the waving; seven weeks shall there be complete;
Lev 23:16 even unto the morrow after the seventh week shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall present a new meal-offering unto the LORD.

I submit that the KJV (and all reworkings of it) is errent in it's rendering of the later part of v 15 and v 16...this is not to say JPS is a wonderful translation or even a good one for that matter...but every dog has it's day.

BTW i am not basing this soley on the JPS,but merely confirming by the JPS a scholarly independent rendering of the Septuagint.

Quote:
But that wave offering had to have been made on the Sunday in that 7 day Feast of Unleavened Bread period immediately following the Saturday Sabbath. That's the only way you can get the required 7 Sabbaths (not 8 or 9) within a 50-day period, from the day they made the wave offering, to the Feast of Weeks, which is what they had to count.

We like to givethe p'rushim a lot of guff and of'n enough...rightly so...but did they do everything wrong? Could they have been right about Omer Reshith (the first sheath) being Aviv 16 thus making Shavuot always Sivan 6?

If indeed Yahushua was resurrected on an Aviv 16 that happened to be the first day then it would follow that that year's Shavuot was the first day. Just as if Omer Reshith was on the 3rd day...Shavuot would also be on the 3rd day.

I am not completely disavowing Boethusian reckoning...but until I am presented with better and more conclusive evidence...I am going to stick with the pharisaic conclusion that was in all likelihood effect during the time of Yahushua...a conclusion that as far as I can tell He did not contradict or find necessary to correct.

Yibarakhem YHWH

Shalom
P.S. btw...in the year 33 C.E. both the Boethusian and the Pharisaic conclusions about reckoning would been fulfilled by Yahushua Messiah...coincidence?
Offline canasia_us  
#61 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 8:31:43 AM(UTC)
canasia_us

Hi Shalom82

I was not aware I was advocating a Boethusian position. In fact, I've never heard of it. I guess that shows the level of my intellectual abilities :) I'm just trying to make sense of it all as I believe that all these feasts are tied together and probably are signs for us.

I do use the Septuagint quite a bit. One question I might have is a practical one. The feast of Weeks; did it always start on a Sunday? Or has it always traditionally started on a different day of the week from year to year?

Gord
Offline shalom82  
#62 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 9:28:19 AM(UTC)
shalom82

Shalom Gord,

The Boethusians were a group within the Sadducees that advocated Omer Reshith being on the first weekly sabbath within UB rather than the first day set apart convocation (sabbath) Thus, omer reshith or ff or Bikkurim...take your pick...always fell on the first day. Thus Shavuot alway fell on the first day as well. But based on the evidence above in the scriptual text, it becomes apparent that Omer Reshith is Aviv 16 regardless of the day and Shavuot is Sivan 6 on the same day as OS...regardless of day.

I should make another point. The Hebrew text of Tanakh very well can be translated the same way as the Pentateuch. The issue for the confusion is the fact that Hebrew is a little more nuanced and poetic where Greek is a cerebral language of scientific precision. I didn't mean to make it seem that the Hebrew and Greek texts differed...but what I am saying is a mistake with the Hebrew text is understandable.

What might be throwing people off is the church holiday Pentecost is always on Sunday...which is celebrated the 50th day after Easter Sunday. I could be totally wrong about that assumption. and it could be that messianics...especially adventist "true torah" and "Ephraimite' congregations get to be so wary of anything suspect of being "rabbinic" that they throw out the baby with the bathwater. Anyways, it doesn't seem like a stretch to me that it would be in the best interests of the church to maintain that as many things as possible went down on Sundays as it pertains to the ministry of Messiah.

The whole issue is once again...the day that really matters in this whole equation...is that the first day of UB fell on a natural sabbath. The seventh day is the day of consequence in this picture. That being the case...Aviv 16 and Sivan 6 fell on the first day.

Shalom

P.S. Is the sign of Yonah still troubling you?
Offline canasia_us  
#63 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:35:09 AM(UTC)
canasia_us

shalom82 wrote:
Shalom Gord,

The Boethusians were a group within the Sadducees that advocated Omer Reshith being on the first weekly sabbath within UB rather than the first day set apart convocation (sabbath) Thus, omer reshith or ff or Bikkurim...take your pick...always fell on the first day. Thus Shavuot alway fell on the first day as well. But based on the evidence above in the scriptual text, it becomes apparent that Omer Reshith is Aviv 16 regardless of the day and Shavuot is Sivan 6 on the same day as OS...regardless of day.

I should make another point. The Hebrew text of Tanakh very well can be translated the same way as the Pentateuch. The issue for the confusion is the fact that Hebrew is a little more nuanced and poetic where Greek is a cerebral language of scientific precision. I didn't mean to make it seem that the Hebrew and Greek texts differed...but what I am saying is a mistake with the Hebrew text is understandable.

What might be throwing people off is the church holiday Pentecost is always on Sunday...which is celebrated the 50th day after Easter Sunday. I could be totally wrong about that assumption. and it could be that messianics...especially adventist "true torah" and "Ephraimite' congregations get to be so wary of anything suspect of being "rabbinic" that they throw out the baby with the bathwater. Anyways, it doesn't seem like a stretch to me that it would be in the best interests of the church to maintain that as many things as possible went down on Sundays as it pertains to the ministry of Messiah.

The whole issue is once again...the day that really matters in this whole equation...is that the first day of UB fell on a natural sabbath. The seventh day is the day of consequence in this picture. That being the case...Aviv 16 and Sivan 6 fell on the first day.

Shalom

P.S. Is the sign of Yonah still troubling you?

Hi Shalom82. To be honest, I'm not convinced. This is how I see it so far. Passover was the 14th day. The 15th day was the first day of the FUB which was considered a sabbath as no work was done. Irregardless of whatever day it fell on, the next important day was the upcoming Saturday Sabbath. It was the very next day following this Saturday Sabbath that is known as the "first day" (of the week - Sunday) and was the day on which the wave offering was made. Counting the 50 days from this day, always made the Feast of Weeks also begin on a Sunday, and always ensured that there could never be 8 Sabbath days within this 50 day count. In this way, Pentecost would always fall on a Sunday (first day).

The alternative that you espouse, if I understand you correctly, is that the date of the Wave Offering "floats" (with the date of the Passover), relative to the Saturday Sabbaths. If this is true, there will be years (2 out of every 14, I believe) where this event (Wave Offering) falls on a Saturday Sabbath. If this is the case, then one must start counting the 50 days from that Sabbath. This will always result in 8 Sabbaths. This contradicts scripture which states in several places that only 7 Sabbaths must be counted.

The Sign of Jonah was not 1.5 days. It was 3 days and 3 nights.

Matthew 12:40 "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Your brother in Yahshua

Gord
Offline Swalchy  
#64 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 12:04:07 PM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

canasia_us wrote:
The Sign of Jonah was not 1.5 days. It was 3 days and 3 nights.

Matthew 12:40 "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Your brother in Yahshua

Gord

Hi Gord - Something that might interest you from YadaYahweh - Good News - Pecach

Quote:
Immersed and empowered by the Ruach/Spirit, Yownah (a man whose name means Dove, the symbol of Yahuweh’s Spirit) was now prepared and ready to go. He now knew that the stormy waters would be calmed, and he would be protected, if the sailors tossed him into the sea. And just as soon as they did, the Ruach/Spirit which was now in and around Yownah, enveloping him, stopped howling and the sea immediately calmed. Everything worked out according to plan because.."Yahuweh assigned and prepared (manah) a great and empowering (gadowl - large and magnificent, that which multiplies and increases, distinguishes, and enables one to do great things) fish (dag - from dagah, meaning that which increases) to engulf (bala’) Yownah (yownah - dove, the symbol of the Spirit). Yownah was in the inward part (me’ah - the bowels, belly, or heart) of the fish (dag - that which increases) for three days and three nights."

This "giant fish" was the gadowl ruach - the Mighty Set-Apart Spirit of God. It is His Spirit which protects and empowers us, engulfs and surrounds us, gives us life and increases us, magnifying every aspect of who and what we are. This is why Yahweh used gadowl to describe both His Ruach/Spirit and the "dag/that which increases." In fact, it is why dag means "that which increases." It is why He used a different word for Ruach/Spirit and "ca’ar/gale force winds." It is why Yownah’s name means "Dove." It is why ‘oniyah/ship means "that which is allowed to meet and encounter Yah." Further, we are told that the Dove’s enclosure was especially "prepared and then assigned" to the task of enveloping and protecting this man who was now about God’s business.

There is no "whale" in this story. As clearly as words allow, Yahuweh is demonstrating the miracle of His Spiritual protection, and specifically what it means to be immersed in the gadowl/great and empowering Spirit of God. He is telling us that He will protect those who are willing to do His bidding. He is telling us that through the power of the Spirit He will enable us to do what He wants done. Jonah’s mission was overwhelmingly successful. The people of Nineveh repented and Assyria was protected for a century.

The reference to "three days and three nights" in this passage throws many off track. They do not recognize that Yahshua’s torment began Thursday night and continued through Saturday night. And they do not understand Yahushua’s reference to the Dove’s experiences in Matthew - something we’ll review momentarily. . . .

This brings us to Yahushua’s reference to Jonah and to three days. God is obviously annoyed and thus He is toying with these people. To understand this passage you must first appreciate the circumstance and the audience. "Then, at that time, certain individuals among the Scribes (grammateus - public servants, politicians, judges, teachers, theologians, and journalists) and Pharisees (Pharisaios - the sect of rabbis who recognized, promoted, imposed, and valued the Babylonian Talmud and man’s oral traditions over Yahuweh’s Scriptures) said, ‘Teacher (didaskalos) we want (thelo - we desire) to see (horao - to witness with our own eyes and to personally experience) a sign (semeion - an unusual occurrence, a token which distinguishes) from you.’ But He answered and said to them, ‘An annoying, works oriented (poneros - unethical, diseased and blind, worthless, wicked) and adulteress (moichalis - those in relationships with whores and false gods) generation (genea - descendants of "poneros and moichalis") seek (epizeteo - clamor for, crave, and demand) a token (semeion - a sign). But (kai - and so) no (ou) sign (semeion - unusual occurrence) shall be given (didomi - granted, supplied, or furnished) to them (autos), except (ei) the token that distinguished (semeion - the unusual occurrence of) the prophet Ionas (Greek transliteration of the Hebrew Yownah, symbolic of the Spirit). For just as (gar hosper) Ionas/Yownah was three days and three nights in the center (koilia - innermost part) of the great fish (ketos - from chasma, meaning that which opens wide) so (houto) the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in (en - by or with) the heart (kardia - the center of circulation and life) of the land (ge - earth)." (Matthew 12:25-40)

The prophetic predictions and the eyewitness confirmations are well documented and perfectly clear. Yahushua arrived in Jerusalem, the "heart and center of the land" on Monday, March 28, 33 CE, the exact day Daniel predicted over 500 years earlier. But He didn’t stay. According to Mark 14, Yahushua, sought to thwart the desire of the "Chief Priests and Scribes to seize Him by stealth and kill Him" prior to "the Feast of Passover, so as to diminish the likelihood of a riot by the people." He did this by spending "two days," those being Tuesday and Wednesday, "in Bethany at the home of Simon the leper." While the Messiah was willing to sacrifice Himself on our behalf He was not willing to have any aspect of His fulfillment of the three days depicted in the Miqra’s of Passover, Unleavened Bread, and FirstFruits occur on days other than those previously specified.

So then Yahushua returned to Jerusalem, "the heart and center of the land" on Thursday for Passover dinner. He stayed in town (courtesy of Caiphas’ dungeon accommodations) so that He could attend His own crucifixion on Friday, which was still Passover. The body of the Messiah spent the Sabbath of Unleavened Bread, which began at sundown and continued through Saturday, in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea. Roman guards were positioned just to make sure He remained in town. Sometime after sunset on Saturday, April 2nd, and before sunrise on Sunday the 3rd, Yahushua rose from the dead. But His body did not leave Jerusalem until later that morning, going to heaven and then to a "village called Emmaus, which was sixty stadion [seven and a half miles] separated from (apo) Jerusalem." There is a reason we were given this otherwise irrelevant information by Mark and Luke.

The bottom line is: Yahushua gave a sign that the religious and political leaders of Jerusalem "could see, personally witness and experience." "The Son of Man was three days and three nights in the heart (kardia - center of circulation and life) of the land (ge)." His promise was fulfilled uninterrupted for their viewing pleasure beginning on Thursday afternoon and ending late Sunday morning. That’s three days and three full nights.

Before we leave this verse, I must tell you that I was initially very troubled by it, at least as it appears in English translations. Clearly, Yahushua wasn’t in, as inside, the earth for three days or three nights. Many very famous pastors use this quote to claim that He was, but by so doing they are essentially saying that the precise timelines laid out by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are all wrong. They are also saying that Yahshua was wrong in claiming that there was a direct correlation between His suffering for three days with the inspired Scripture recorded by Moses and the Prophets in the Torah and Psalms.

But all one has to do is correctly translate the words and think a little, and the truth becomes obvious. This passage isn’t a contradiction; it’s a confirmation. According to Strong’s, the primary meaning of ge is land, not earth. Ge is the Greek equivalent of ‘erets, with also means "land." The majority of the time ‘erets is used in Scripture it applies to the Land of Israel - to the Promised Land. And even if ge were afforded its fourth most prevalent meaning, from the perspective of Yahuweh, from the perspective of Scripture, from the perspective of the audience listening to Yahushua, Jerusalem was, is, and forever will be the heart, the center of circulation and life, of the Earth.
Offline shalom82  
#65 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:35:51 PM(UTC)
shalom82

ok let's try again.

The pharisaic view (which I believe is supported from the scriptual text) is this:
Passover Offering = 14 Aviv
1st day of unleavened bread=15 Aviv
Omer Reshith=16 Aviv

This is the "conjuction" model. The 3 days flow uninterrupted.

Lev 23:15 ‘And from the morrow after the Sabbath (the first day of UB), from the day that you brought the sheaf of the wave offering, you shall count for yourselves: seven [complete weeks].
Lev 23:16 ‘Until the morrow after the seventh [week] you count fifty days, then you shall bring a new grain offering to יהוה.

The counting of the omer is commenced on Aviv 16

Let's do an example
In this example OS falls on a Monday
Week 1 Mon-Sun = 7 days
Week 2 Mon-Sun=7 days
Week 3 Mon-Sun=7 days
Week 4 Mon-Sun=7 days
Week 5 Mon-Sun=7 days
Week 6 Mon-Sun=7 days
Week 7 Mon-Sun=7 days
7 weeks=49 days
+1 (Mon)=50 days

The days of the week are inconsequntial

It could be Mon Tues Wed
Wed Thur Fri
Sun Mon Tues
...It doesn't matter as long as those days are 14,15,and 16 of Aviv.

The wave offering does not float. The pharisaic view is that the wave offering is always 16 Aviv the day after the 1st set apart convocation of UB.
16 Aviv translates to a Pentecost/Shavuot of Sivan 6

Here is the Boethusian/Karaite view from wikipedia:
The Sadducees and Boethusians, however, disputed this interpretation. They contended that "Shabbat" really did mean "Shabbat," or Saturday. Accordingly, they reckoned the seven weeks from the day after the first Shabbat during Passover, so that Shavuot would always fall on a Sunday.

This interpretation was shared by the second-century BC author of the Book of Jubilees, and was motivated by the priestly sabbatical solar calendar of the third and second centuries B.C., which was designed to have festivals and Sabbaths fall on the same day of the week every year. On this calendar (best known from the Book of Luminaries in 1 Enoch), Shavuot fell on the 15th of Sivan, a Sunday. The date was reckoned fifty days from the first Sabbath after Passover (i.e. from the 25th of Nisan). Thus, Jub. 1:1 claims that Moses ascended Mount Sinai to receive the Torah "on the sixteenth day of the third month in the first year of the Exodus of the children of Israel from Egypt".

Karaite Judaism today continues to follow the interpretation that the Counting of the Omer begins on the Sunday after the first Shabbat during Passover, and thus celebrates Shavuot on a Sunday.[5

What I meant about Saturday being important is that that PARTICULAR Saturday that corresponded to the first day of UB WAS important.

Now if infact you look at the pharisaic reckoning started from Aviv 16...the day of the wave offering there can only ever be 7 seventh day natural shabbats.

Once again I remind you that it is my belief based on both the Hebrew and Greek Texts that the actual rendering is:

Lev 23:6 ‘And on the fifteenth day of this month is the Festival of Unleavened Bread to יהוה – seven days you eat unleavened bread.
Lev 23:7 ‘On the first day you have a set-apart gathering, you do no servile work.
Lev 23:8 ‘And you shall bring an offering made by fire to יהוה for seven days. On the seventh day is a set-apart gathering, you do no servile work.’ ”
Lev 23:9 And יהוה spoke to Mosheh, saying,
Lev 23:10 “Speak to the children of Yisra’ĕl, and you shall say to them, ‘When you come into the land which I give you, and shall reap its harvest, then you shall bring a sheaf of the first-fruits of your harvest to the priest.
Lev 23:11 ‘And he shall wave the sheaf before יהוה, for your acceptance. On the morrow after the [first day] the priest waves it.

Lev 23:15 ‘And from the morrow after the Sabbath, from the day that you brought the sheaf of the wave offering, you shall count for yourselves: seven [complete weeks].

I understand your position Gord and with more evidence I might believe it. But at this time I conclude that the Aviv 16 is Omer Reshith and Sivan 6 is Shavuot.

if you are not dogmatic about the sign of Yonah this works

Offline canasia_us  
#66 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:17:58 PM(UTC)
canasia_us

Hello Swalchy. Yes, I have read the YY explanation of the timeline concerning Yahshua's crucifixion. That's what started me researching all this.

According to the NASA's Lunar Eclipse Data, in 33 AD, there was a partial Lunar Eclipse on the 3rd of April. On the US Navy's website documenting Lunar Phases, it indicates that April 3, 33 AD was a full moon. Lunar eclipses can only happen when it's Full Moon. That's perfect correlation. It also indicates that 3 Apr 33 AD, was a Friday. That's basically proof that Passover in 33 AD was Friday night into Saturday. If Yahshua's arrest occurred in 33 AD, it happened on a Friday night, after the Passover meal, which I'm sure you're beginning to see doesn't correlate. That means that Yahshua's crucifixion did not happen in 33 AD.

There are other reasons, a 33 AD crucifixion doesn't work. If we assume He was crucified in 33 AD, it means that our current calendars are assumed to be correct in that His birth was in year zero. Yet current thinking is that Herod died in 4 BC. Since Yahshua was already born and in Egypt when Herod died, by year zero, Yahshua was already between 4 and 6 years of age. Which basically means that Yahshua was something like 37 to 39 years of age at His crucifixion in 33 AD, which we know is not the case.

As regards to the UB. I think you may have misunderstood my point. Passover is a floating date, meaning that it never falls on the same day two years in a row. The establishment for the date of the Passover is dependent on the first sighting of the lunar crescent after the vernal equinox, from which they then count 14 days. Whatever day that falls on, that evening begins Passover. Because UB is the next day (Aviv 15) , it also is a floating date. It could end up being on a Friday. The next day (Aviv 16) would then be the Saturday Sabbath which is fixed (vs floating). This would be the day of the Wave Offering, according to your reasoning. If we count 50 days starting with that day (Sabbath), you get 8 Sabbaths. I don't know how you can square that with what it says in Leviticus 23:15-16

Leviticus 23:15 ‘And you shall count for yourselves from the day after the Sabbath, from the day that you brought the sheaf of the wave offering: seven Sabbaths shall be completed. 16 Count fifty days to the day after the seventh Sabbath; then you shall offer a new grain offering to the LORD.'

It;s not just 7 full weeks plus 1 day being counted here. They are specifically told to count 7 Sabbaths, and then to make another offering on the day after that 7th Sabbath. Otherwise, why even state it? Why not just say "count 50 days from the UB Sabbath"? It's stated because it's important. It means that to have the 50 day count end on the day after a Sabbath, they had to start counting from the day after the Saturday Sabbath back in and during the 7-day UB Feast. That makes the Feast of Weeks a fixed Feast.

I guess that's probably enough for now.
Offline canasia_us  
#67 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:21:20 PM(UTC)
canasia_us

Hi Swalchy. There was one more thing I forgot to mention which I noticed also. You don't have 3 Apr falling on a Friday in 33 AD?

Your brother in Christ.

Gord
Offline canasia_us  
#68 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:29:52 PM(UTC)
canasia_us

Hi Shalom82

Well, one thing we can do as brothers in Christ is we can agree to not be in agreement. I think there will always be questions like this from now until the return of our Savior Yahshua. I don't believe we can be 100% correct in our reasoning unless some other evidence comes along, as you said. In the meantime, we can be looking at the signs, and we can be ready. It is clear that the time of the end is near and I for one eagerly await our Savior's return.

I think my post to Swalchy pretty much repeats what I had said before and answers your post as well. If I come up with anything else, I'll post it. I'm sure there will be more.

Yours in Christ

Gord
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#69 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:20:23 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

What I can see on NASA website:

0033 Apr 03 14:47 Partial 71 -0.679 1.671 0.586 86m - 12.7 12.69 -5.2
0033 Sep 27 03:49 Partial 76 0.560 1.837 0.855 89m - 0.3 0.11 1.3

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/LEcat/LE0001-0100.html
Offline Swalchy  
#70 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:58:16 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

canasia_us wrote:
Hi Swalchy. There was one more thing I forgot to mention which I noticed also. You don't have 3 Apr falling on a Friday in 33 AD?

Your brother in Christ.

Gord

That's because it was the 1st of April Gregorian calendar wise, 3rd of April Julian calendar wise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33_AD

Let us not also forget the prophecy of Daniel chapter 9. The year that indicates is 33 CE - anything earlier than that is too early for the prophecy to be correct.
Offline canasia_us  
#71 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:48:44 AM(UTC)
canasia_us

Swalchy wrote:

That's because it was the 1st of April Gregorian calendar wise, 3rd of April Julian calendar wise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33_AD

Let us not also forget the prophecy of Daniel chapter 9. The year that indicates is 33 CE - anything earlier than that is too early for the prophecy to be correct.

Then it means that Herod died between 0 and 2 AD. IS that your reasoning?

Offline canasia_us  
#72 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:51:58 AM(UTC)
canasia_us

Robskiwarrior wrote:
What I can see on NASA website:

0033 Apr 03 14:47 Partial 71 -0.679 1.671 0.586 86m - 12.7 12.69 -5.2
0033 Sep 27 03:49 Partial 76 0.560 1.837 0.855 89m - 0.3 0.11 1.3

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/LEcat/LE0001-0100.html

And this is the US Navy website with the Lunar phases

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/SpringPhenom.php

Sorry for not posting it earlier.
Offline Swalchy  
#73 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:19:29 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

canasia_us wrote:

Then it means that Herod died between 0 and 2 AD. IS that your reasoning?

Well, between 1 CE and 2 CE (there's no 0 CE), after the eclipse in December, 1 BCE (http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/herod/herod.html)
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#74 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:18:31 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

canasia_us wrote:

And this is the US Navy website with the Lunar phases

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/SpringPhenom.php

Sorry for not posting it earlier.

No probs :) just thought I should bring the info into the convo.... Great discussion guys :)
Offline shalom82  
#75 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:33:33 AM(UTC)
shalom82

Gord,
Amane to that. Thankfully the first four have already been fulfilled. We will probably just have to wait till Mashiyach returns which we both agree is not a long wait.

Yibarekhekha YHWH (YHWH bless you) )masc.sing. thanks jojocc ;)

Shalom
Offline shalom82  
#76 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:49:04 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Canasia_US said:
Quote:
That's basically proof that Passover in 33 AD was Friday night into Saturday. If Yahshua's arrest occurred in 33 AD, it happened on a Friday night, after the Passover meal, which I'm sure you're beginning to see doesn't correlate. That means that Yahshua's crucifixion did not happen in 33 AD.

I am trying to understand this Gord, could you give me an explanation?
Offline Swalchy  
#77 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:29:07 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

Quote:
That's basically proof that Passover in 33 AD was Friday night into Saturday. If Yahshua's arrest occurred in 33 AD, it happened on a Friday night, after the Passover meal, which I'm sure you're beginning to see doesn't correlate. That means that Yahshua's crucifixion did not happen in 33 AD.

The passover meal was from thursday night to friday night (the Hebrews "6th day"), so Yahushua had the meal thursday evening, and that was the evening He was arrested.
Offline Icy  
#78 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:24:32 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Quote:
The passover meal was from thursday night to friday night (the Hebrews "6th day"), so Yahushua had the meal thursday evening, and that was the evening He was arrested.

I've heard it before, and kp corrected me ("The Passover Lamb would have been eaten after sundown, during the first hours of the Feast of Unleavened Bread") in my first writing of that Passover post, that last meal was not the passover meal. Sure, it happened on Passover, but the offical passover meal takes place after the sacrifice, and the sacrifice does not happen until twilight at the end of Nissan 14, thus making the meal happen on Nissan 15, Unleavened Bread. That is when Yahushua was sacrificed. He couldn't have sat and ate the meal with them as he was the Lamb and was roasting for us during the Passover meal.
Offline canasia_us  
#79 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:36:35 AM(UTC)
canasia_us

shalom82 wrote:
Canasia_US said:

I am trying to understand this Gord, could you give me an explanation?

Hi Shalom82. The way I understand it, Passover day was determined by counting 14 days from the first sighting of the New Moon crescent. 14 days from the New Moon is also the Full Moon date. In 33 AD, according to USNO Lunar phase data, Full Moon occurred on Friday, the 3rd. That was also the Passover - a Friday. So Passover would have started that evening, the evening of the 3rd, in 33 AD. That would have been the evening of the Passover supper which Yahshua attended with His disciples. And it would have been the night He was betrayed.

What I'm saying is that it is for this reason that it could not have been 33 AD, because the traditional belief is that Yahshua attended the Passover supper on Thursday night, not Friday.

Offline canasia_us  
#80 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:41:42 AM(UTC)
canasia_us

Swalchy wrote:

Yes, that is the traditional view. The only problem with that is that it didn't happen in 33 AD.
Offline Icy  
#81 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:55:48 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Gord, you have the misconception that that was the Passover meal as well, it was not.
Offline canasia_us  
#82 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:11:40 AM(UTC)
canasia_us

Icy wrote:

I've heard it before, and kp corrected me ("The Passover Lamb would have been eaten after sundown, during the first hours of the Feast of Unleavened Bread") in my first writing of that Passover post, that last meal was not the passover meal. Sure, it happened on Passover, but the offical passover meal takes place after the sacrifice, and the sacrifice does not happen until twilight at the end of Nissan 14, thus making the meal happen on Nissan 15, Unleavened Bread. That is when Yahushua was sacrificed. He couldn't have sat and ate the meal with them as he was the Lamb and was roasting for us during the Passover meal.

Oh I don't agree with that at all. Remember that from the meal, it took another full day before He was crucified and died and was placed in the tomb. That would mean that Yahshua was sacrificed on the 15th of Nisan, the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, a day that is treated as a Sabbath day. It was the Passover that pointed to the day of His sacrifice, not the First Day of Unleavened Bread.

That would also mean that Passover was celebrated from Wednesday evening to Thursday evening. That would mean that in 33 AD, Passover (14 Nisan) was celebrated two days earlier then the NASA and USNO indicates Passover (Full Moon) actually started, which was a Friday evening. And that would mean that the Jews only counted 12 days instead of the required 14 days to determine the start of Passover.

The way I understand it, the Jews were very observant about watching for that first sliver of the moon after the New Moon occurred. As soon as the day started to wane into dusk, they were craning their necks looking for that sliver. If they saw it, 14 days from that evening started Passover evening.

Offline Icy  
#83 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:56:03 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

I suggest you read Exodus 12 and Matthew 26-27 again, Gord. Also, you need to understand that a Hebrew "day" goes from sundown to sundown, not midnight to midnight. Matthew 26:17 seems misleading and the chronology seems odd, but I submit for you this from the people's new testement:
Quote:
26:17 The first day of the feast of unleavened bread. Strictly speaking, the 15th of Nisan (part of our March and April), after the paschal lamb was killed, but here the 14th day (Thursday). See Ex 12:16. This suggests one of the most difficult questions of Scripture chronology, whether the Lord at the passover one day before the regular Jewish passover, or at the usual time. Pressense, Milman Ellicott, Townsend, Alford, Neander, Farrar, and many other great authorities, hold that he ate it the day preceding, and died on the day and about the time the Jewish passover lambs were slain. The statements of John, that the supper was eaten, the Lord betrayed and condemned before the passover, seem positive (Joh 19:14).
According to John, the day he was in front of Pilate was preperation day, which makes sundown of that day (when he died) Passover, with Unleavened Bread begining right after.

The meal was a pre-Passover meal. You can think of it as the preperation day meal.
Offline Swalchy  
#84 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:10:43 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

*points posters to new topic*

When was the Passover in 33 CE?

Please continue the discussion in that - This topic has served it's purpose (which isn't to do with the Passover in 33 CE :) )