logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2007 8:19:11 AM(UTC)
Yada

I heard something interesting the other day, that the popular childrens song & dance, "Hokey Pokey" actually comes from "Hocus Pocus" (hoc est corpus) and was originally invented to mimic the actions of Catholic priests while their backs were turned during the traditional Latin Rite Mass.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Hocus Pocus is a generic term used by magicians, usually the magic words spoken when bringing about some sort of change. It was once a common term for a magician, juggler or other similar entertainer. (See also abracadabra, another magic word derived from an ancient language.)

The origins of the term remain obscure. Some believe it originates from a parody of the Roman Catholic eucharist, after speculation in 1694 by the English prelate John Tillotson:

In all probability those common juggling words of hocus pocus are nothing else but a corruption of hoc est corpus, by way of ridiculous imitation of the priests of the Church of Rome in their trick of Transubstantiation.

You do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around
That's what it's all about...

If you have never seen a Latin Mass, you can watch one here. (It opens with an image of a sunburst - how appropriate.)
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline shalom82  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2007 1:03:09 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you have never studied Roman Paganism you cannot understand or appreciate how truly eerie and frightening this video is. I am not suggesting you do so. I have however and I can tell you the parallels and that outright retention is terrifiying. The all male chorus of young men is for me especially disturbing considering the practices of Roman Paganism and the other Paganisms that flourished around the Mediterranean. I won't get into it but I don't think you have to use too much of your educated imagination.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline CK  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2007 2:29:23 PM(UTC)
CK

I viewed some of the video. I can only shake my head. It is much 'hocus pocus' in deed. These people live, no doubt, under a very strong delusion. "Eerie and frightening" is right! I attended a memorial service recently for a Catholic relative. I witnessed as the priests went through their various motions and incantations during communion. I didn't partake, of course, as I am not Catholic, and one has to be Catholic to partake of communion in a Catholic church. One thing though that took me by total surprise was that they referred to God as Yahuweh a couple of times during the liturgy. Surprise, surprise.

CK
Offline Rachael  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:12:02 AM(UTC)
Rachael

as a RC I can only share with you my thoughts.

the Latin mass or mass at all seems to the gathering as a very mystical separated experience. you sit in your pew feeling the awe and occassion of the transformation of Jesus transporting himself into the goblet and eucharist. You bow your head and thank him for doing this through the intervention of the priest who has some sacred duty to do this for us sinners.

you feel humbled and awed and amazed at it.

It is very easy to understand the love of the RC religion for the devout.
Offline coleridge  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 7:15:25 PM(UTC)
coleridge

that was probably the creepiest thing i've ever seen.... thanks for the nightmares... i think it's because of the black and white.... ugh. did you guys read the response comments.... classic!
let YHWH be true, and every man a liar
Offline bitnet  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2008 4:57:24 AM(UTC)
bitnet

As a former altar boy (very short period of time), I was up close and personal to the rituals performed by the priest. It seemed almost magical and it was a magnificent moment of reverence when the priest broke the communion host and the people bowed their heads in respect of The Sacrifice.

Today, having grown up and understanding most of what goes on around me, I can understand why people believe authority figures, especially those who have spent time and effort in getting to where they are today. The transference of respect for God to the cleric is understandable in the light of all human religions which permeate all societies globally, not just traditional Christianity but also Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam and a host of other religions, both sacred and profane.

Having put Catholicism behind me I'm not an apologist but if you think the Catholic rites are frightening, make a visit to the deserts of Nevada during the Burning Man Festival and you can probably see what caused Yahweh to rapture Lot from his environment!
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.