logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:32:25 PM(UTC)
Yada

I found an interesting talk about Paul given by Garry Willis. Please let me know what you think of the content. I would love to start a thread about the letters of Paul and his ministry.

You can watch it here.

Below is a description of the presentation and author:

Quote:
Politics and Prose Bookstore
Washington, D.C.
Nov 14th, 2006

Garry Wills sets out to correct St. Paul's longstanding reputation as the man who corrupted Jesus's message. Reminding us that the epistles are older than the gospels and, therefore, more authoritative renderings of Jesus's teachings. Wills describes the early church as more of an outgrowth of Judaism than a radical departure - Politics and Prose

Garry Wills is an adjunct professor and cultural historian whose many books include penetrating studies of George Washington, Richard Nixon, the Kennedy family, Ronald Reagan, and religion in America. His numerous prizes include the Merle Curti Award of the American Historical Association, the National Book Critics Award, the Pulitzer Prize, and an honorary doctorate from the College of the Holy Cross.
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Theophilus  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:32:44 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I wasn't able to view the video yet so forgive me if what follows is repetitive, but this reminds me of a recent conversation I had with a (rather bitter) critic of Scripture who questioned the historicity of Messiah Yahushua and claimed that the renewed covenant was Paul's creation with later writings added afterwords. While I agree that Paul's letters were written before the accounts of Yahshua by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, I marvel at the internal evidence.

That none of the renewed covenant speaks of the destruction of the second temple as a past event, only then future prophetic indicates an early date for the writings. That Luke's second work (after his account of Yahshua's ministry), Acts details Peter and Paul at length and leaves Paul awaiting trial rather than after his execution is powerful internal evidence that it was written before that event. That Paul speaks of Peter and Peter speaks of Paul in their letters is also mutually confirming.
Offline Theophilus  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2007 8:23:26 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Okay, I've finally been able to view the link. I like some of what the author had to say. Specifically his recognition of names and what the ekklessia not "Church" was even though he dropped the concept of outcalling. Also the early followers of Messiah Yahshua not calling themselves "Christians". I also agree that Paul cannot easily be dismissed as a corruptor/inventor of a new religion since his episitles were written relatively close timewise to the events

What I found unsupported was his claims that Paul did not regard his epistles of scriptural/apostolic authority. That only seven of the letters attributed to Paul were authentically from Paul hence dismissing the letters the 'scholars" he refers to as not conflicting with Paul since they're not from him. Also his "scholars" decision that the four "Gospels" /good news accounts of Yahshua were post 70 CE and not written by the names associated. I already noted the internal evidence indicates a pre 70 CE date for the entirety of the renewed covenant scriptures.

What I found intersting was what he said of the nature of ancient scribes not writing down even significant historical events of the day but multiple copies of letters and documents for specific purpose, conducting even significant current events orally. This seems consistent with why these written records may have been initially passed down as oral creeds rather than papyrus scrolls for a number of years.