logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Perry  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 2:39:07 PM(UTC)
Perry

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I wrote a simple iPhone/iPad app to display various definitions of the Hebrew Alphabet. It's free. The name is Aleph-Bet. Any suggestions for improvement would be welcome.
thanks 2 users thanked Perry for this useful post.
shamar emet on 1/14/2016(UTC), matt on 2/2/2016(UTC)
Offline Perry  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 8:01:33 AM(UTC)
Perry

A reference for some of the information in the app is "The Hebraic Tongue Restored" by Fabre d' Olivet. Written in 1803, translated into English in 1825. This book can be downloaded from various sites and gives a view of the Hebrew language and it's roots from a conceptual side. It translates part of the Torah from this point of view and is very interesting. The author's opinion of those making the lexicons of the time were that they were ignorant or trying to hide the real meanings behind the Hebrew words.
thanks 1 user thanked Perry for this useful post.
matt on 2/2/2016(UTC)
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 9:00:46 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Sounds awesome Perry. When's the android version coming? BigGrin
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Jason  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:11:27 PM(UTC)
Jason
Man
Canada

Perry, I just downloaded the app. Thanks

The book looks very interesting, I am very interested in this topic.
Offline Perry  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:53:19 AM(UTC)
Perry

Being that I just started to get back into programming, the Android version will not be coming too soon. This was my very first app. I do plan on doing an android version. I also would like to expand it into a virtual lexicon. I read an article on constructed languages. The author stated that ancient Hebrew was an almost perfect example of a constructed language. He compared it to the structure of computer assembler languages. I have begun defining my lexical database schema and I think the person is correct. The letters represent concepts, two letter combinations describe basic roots for things, add a third letter to get all your actions on those things, then add the prefix, suffix, and infix to give details to the description. As such, the actual vocalization is the least important part, but I would also like to add it to the mix using the phonetics Yada has pointed out from the common words that have been in continuous use down through the ages.
Offline James  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:45:42 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
i was mainly joking about the android app, but awesome if you do do it. In my experience Android is much easier then iOS to program for.

Perry wrote:
He compared it to the structure of computer assembler languages.

I never thought of this before, but thinking of it now it does make perfect sense.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Jason  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 7:25:58 PM(UTC)
Jason
Man
Canada

Perry, I'm not a programmer but I sometimes wish I was. I have some ideas for apps that I think would also help. In the next few weeks I will have more time for my interests as I have made some considerable career changes..anyways perhaps I could share them with you and maybe you would liek the idea and, hey, if your building apps why not brainstorm with some people here to come up with some really awesome ideas.

I thought about an app idea that is basically a calendar that you one can set each year at the abib and would project ahead throughout the year to plan feast days, perhaps set up reminders, and also I thought it would be cool to have notes on the days of yah's calendar that coorespond to events in the TPP. So for example, on pesach there would be a note on Yah providing a sacrifice in place of Abraham's Son, and prehaps notes from the psalm 23 that pertain to the fulfillment of pesach, aswell as the story of the evening israel left egypt.

just a tought, I think it would help to tie in all the parallels in the TPP and reinforce them when they show up on the calendar. Giving them relevence in time.

just a thought. anyways,

I wanted to mention, I found a really awesome app (i use apple, not sure if its in androis also) called "HebrewBible".

its a very powerful interlinear. I think its the best mobile app outthere. Very good lexicon. Also you can change to many different versions including ancient hebrew characters, paleo, and many others. Probably all based on the messoretic though. there is also a modern hebrew audio that can be played when using the vocalized text. you should check it out, its loaded.

no im not selling it, lol, just been using it for years and it is very handy.

the right one is the one that has two babylonian hebrew characters in black on a white background as the icon.