logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Hermine Dow  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2014 8:28:16 AM(UTC)
Hermine Dow

Where does baptism fit, in the seven steps? Where is its counterpart in the torah?
Offline Sarah  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 9:50:19 AM(UTC)
Sarah

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good question. It seems to me that 'baptize' means 'to immerse in the Set-Apart Spirit'. The only way to be 'immersed in the Set-Apart Spirit' would be to participate in the 7 Miqra'ey, especially Reconciliations, and to be 'immersed' in the study of the Torah.
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 6:04:05 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I agree with Sarah. The Greek word baptizo which is inappropriately transliterated as baptism simply means immerse. Baptizo is a simple word and as such should ALWAYS be translated and never transliterated. Baptizo means to immerse, and when you translate it as such you get no religious ritual or ceremony. Yahowsha said to go and immerse them in the name (shem – personal and proper name, renown and character) of the Father, the Son and the Set-Apart Spirit, nothing about dunking them in water or sprinkling water on their head, no ritual, no ceremony just a clear instruction about teaching people about God.

When you take a common word and transliterate it you add confusion because it is a word uncommon to a language. This confusion allows you to define the word however you want. By transliterating baptizo the clerics could then define it as a religious rite or ritual involving dunking someone in water in the name of the lord Jebus. If they had translated it as immerse they could not have done this.

The only instance of Yahowsa ever immersing someone in water follows immediately after, and therefore must be viewed in the context of, His discussion with Nicodemus. Aside from that as far as I know, I could be wrong, He never mentions immersion in context with water.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 6:33:50 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Also worth noteing is that Yahowchanan/John the immerser said that he immersed with water, but the one who would come after him would immerse with the Spirit.

Offline Sarah  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:41:25 PM(UTC)
Sarah

I think that the 'born of water' reference with Nicodemus was refering to the waters of childbirth. But I would like to know how the mikvah and 'baptism' of Yahowsha figures in.
Offline Sheree  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 10:44:13 AM(UTC)
Sheree

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I am wondering where the idea of being"Covered in Yahowasha's blood " comes from and what exactly that means.I know xtians say they are covered in the blood.. thanks
Offline Sheree  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 9:57:26 PM(UTC)
Sheree

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
i need to clarify the above better..I know what the Pesach doorway covered in Yahowshas blood means..its the xtian concept of the covered in (jesus) blood that I dont grasp.I never understood what that meant until I came to know more about Pesach..so i dont know what the heck the xtians have in their minds when they say that..it always sounded creepy to when when I would hear it ..my mind pictured something like the Carrie movie,yikes
Offline Richard  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 11:34:57 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sarah Go to Quoted Post
I think that the 'born of water' reference with Nicodemus was refering to the waters of childbirth. But I would like to know how the mikvah and 'baptism' of Yahowsha figures in.

What is a "mikvah"? I know it isn't a Hebrew word, because Yahowah's Hebrew has no "v" in it. So what is it? Thanks.
Offline Richard  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 11:43:53 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Sheree Go to Quoted Post
I am wondering where the idea of being"Covered in Yahowasha's blood " comes from and what exactly that means.I know xtians say they are covered in the blood.. thanks

Hi, sis. Christians are taught that Yahowsha was the Lamb of God, though very few of them press on to learn what that really means. To most Christians, that means that He was a sacrifice for our sins, like one of the lambs from their "Law of Moses". It is His blood, they say, the very blood of Yahowah Himself, which cleanses us from our sins. His blood, say they, washes away our sins. So, like a macabre tribe of Carrie-like zombies, the Christians seem to envision themselves walking the earth covered in the blood of the Lamb of God.

Too bad no one ever thought about a rinse cycle. But then, strong is the deception of Paul's devilish religion.

So, while those who embrace Yah's Towrah/Teaching and His one and only family-oriented Covenant understand the meaning of Pesach/Passover, all of that is lost on the Christians with their one verse quick-fix mentality.

Hope this helps.
thanks 1 user thanked Richard for this useful post.
FredSnell on 10/15/2014(UTC)
Offline Sarah  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 11:29:03 AM(UTC)
Sarah

Mikvah/mikwah? The bath in running water as required by the Torah after any bodily discharge/uncleaness.

I don't quite understand why Yahuchanan the Immerser was immersing people. I am guessing it was for a declaration of repentance at that time, but is there a Torah precendant for it?

Offline Richard  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 4:26:19 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Thank you. I am unfamiliar with that word, but that is not a unique situation for me.

I know of nothing similar in the Towrah, and the only time I know of when anyone was told to dunk themselves in water was when Elisha told the Syrian Captain Naaman to dip himself seven times in the Yordan River.

It seems reasonable that Yahowchanan the Immerser was indeed encouraging the people to show their willingness to be cleansed of their religious filth.
Offline James  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 5:08:26 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Actully had an email exchange with Yada on this a short while back, thought I would share it.

James wrote:
So my sister in law baptized her kids this weekend, and there has been a bit of a stirring in the family since Patty and I refused to attend. This has lead to a couple of interesting and many pointless conversations on the topic with my family.

Since this is a Greek text issue and I don't have a lot of experience in the Greek I thought I would pass a couple of the questions that I have to you and see what your thoughts were.

First you said on the BTR show last week that Yahowsha never baptized anyone. As far as baptism as a religious ritual this is 100% correct. Baptizo should never have been transliterated, and should have bee rendered immerse/immersed in every instance. Translating the word correctly explains almost every instance of the use in a perfect way. So the question is then did Yahowsha immerse anyone, specifically in water. There is only one spot I can find which suggests this and that is in Yahowchanan chapter 3 after the conversation with Nicodemus it says in verse 23 that Yahowsha came into Yauwdah and was immersing. This is followed by some of Yahowchanan the immersers followers coming to him and telling them that Yahowsha is also immersing. In this context it seems that Yahowsha was performing water immersions at this time. I have checked the Greek, to the best of my limited ability (my library is really geared to Hebrew), and this seems to be accurate, and the chapter is extant in both P66 and P75. So am I reading this right?

My second question is I can't find anywhere were Yahowchanan was instructed to immerse people in water. Was he? And why was he or why was he instructed to? He was sent to proclaim the arrival of the Ma'aseyah, but where did water immersion come from, it is not instructed in the Towrah as far as I can tell. It seems Yahowchanan did it, Yahowsha may have done it for awhile, and then it became a custom among the disciples, as we see Shimown instructing it. A little research shows that it was a very common pagan practice throughout history and in much of Greek religion of the time, and it is in the Talmud. I understand the link between the cleansing nature of water, but something that is so pagan why would Yahowah have Yahowchanan do it, and why would Yahowsha have it done to him? While writing this the idea occurs to me that Yahowchanan spoke of how he immersed in water, but the one coming after him would immerse in the set apart spirit. So then Yahowchanan's water immersion was a symbolic forerunner to immersion in the spirit, but then what of people like Dowd who were immersed in Yah's spirit long before Yahowsha? I am always bothered by things in the Greek text additive to the Towrah, and this seems like one of them.

Sorry if I got a bit long winded I am thinking this out still as I write and so kind of using you as a sounding board.

Thanks,
James

Yada wrote:
James,

Yes, it says that he was immersing, but nothing about why he may have done so or what He may have claimed it meant. Further, context is everything. It follows the Disciples' most revealing accounting of spiritual birth via the discussion with Nicodemus - water then spirit - meaning mortal conception for all and spiritual birth for those who act upon the Torah's Covenant. So He demonstrated the proper order of things. He began with water to demonstrate cleansing of mortals (with no commentary or commitment) and then He facilitated the Covenant promises via the Miqra'ey with great commentary and commitment.

Verse 25 speaks of "purification" which is the symbolism of water when immersed in it. Verse 27 then tells us that only what comes from heaven matters, and thus demotes the effect of the earthly stream to inconsequential for anything beyond the symbolism. And you'll notice that there isn't a single statement recorded from Yahowsha' at this time regarding immersion, and therefore it cannot be tied to anything other than the previous conversation with Nicodemus and the subsequent conversation with John the Immerser and his disciples. Moreover your quote is the relevant one... "Yahowchanan spoke of how he immersed in water, but the one coming after him would immerse in the set apart spirit."

I think that Yahowcanan picked this place because it represents the place the Chosen People crossed the Jordan to enter the Promised Land. It is directly below Mount Mowryah, and thus reveals its diminished importance. And Yisrael was filthy with religion and had to come clean to receive Yah. So the symbolism of cleaning off the muck of their infidelity was perfect, especially in this place.

I don't trust the Greek texts, even when we have relatively old manuscripts. So when I read something that is inconsistent with Torah in the highly edited Greek texts I tend to discard it, especially if it is in the disciple's voice as is your example with Shimown. The Torah is more than sufficient.

Good questions and excellent research, JB.

Yada

Offline masters_apprentice  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:04:07 PM(UTC)
masters_apprentice

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Washing your sins ceoms from the Old Testament. In the book of Numbers people "washed" their sins - literally. They did not have running water. The Torah tells us that there are several things that "defile" a person. For example: touching blood, a dead animal, a sore, sex, etc. The remedy for this temporary state of uncleanliness is to wash with water (not soap either) and if you have no rash by sundown you are "good to go". If you came down with a rash then you must be quarantined.

To immerse (Gr. Baptize) can be literal or spiritual in use. Or it is done for a custom.

The Christian use of it has nothing to do with biblical meanings and is done for show - mainly for the parents watching their young infant get dunked.

When you get Immersed spiritually it means you want to cleanse and become as a priest and repent towards the Law. Otherwise you are just getting wet. No "Christian" I know has ever repented or they would not call themselves a Christian.

Question for the experts here..."Why did Yashua get Baptized if he never sinned?"

(Richard? James? Chime in if you care to)