logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shohn  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2007 8:43:29 AM(UTC)
shohn

I thought this site had some value regarding the "darkness over the land". It even has links to some NASA site for recreating what the sky would have looked like at various time frames - perhaps even tying into the Josephus' reference to the 4BCE eclipse.

http://www.mreclipse.com/Special/quotes1.html
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Icy  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2007 9:13:51 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
An eclipse does not explain 3 hours of darkness though. Even an eclipse isn't as dark as night. So, if we are looking for physical explanations, then what would explain such a prolonged darkness?
Offline shohn  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2007 12:49:52 PM(UTC)
shohn

A really big storm perhaps? If I remember correctly, an eclipse doesn't last very long.

I recall finding on another site a way to calculate the conjuctions of some of the planets that would have yielded a couple of instances of a bright star that could have arrived in conjuction with the magi. I can't remember if this happened to line up along tabernacles or not though.
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Theophilus  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:47:22 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I would think the source of the darkness would have to be other than a solar eclipse. The crufixion is described as occuring on the sixth day at the time of the passover before the sabbath also the first of Unlevened Bread. This being 14 days after the new moon marking the beginning of Nisan. In other words a nearly full moon. If I understand the mechanics of eclipses, a lunar eclipse can occur during a full moon as earth's shadow passes over the moon's surface, however a solar eclipse requires the moon to travel in the path of the sun light that is blocked by the moon on its way to the earth. So wouldn't a nearly full moon preclude a solar eclipse?