logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shohn  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2007 10:15:47 AM(UTC)
shohn

Hrmm.... so I've heard one theory that part of this was a scribal addition, that is, the speaking in tongues part. Any comments?
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Swalchy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2007 10:06:44 PM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

I would agree that Mark 16:9-20 is an added interpolation to Marcus' Eye-witness account.

As for speaking in tongues - the Apostle Paul mentions that, so the fact that a mention of it is added as an interpolation to Marcus' Eye-witness account wouldn't negate that speaking in tongues is a gift.
Offline Icy  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2007 3:02:46 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I don't have materials in front of me right now, but I always looked at that "speaking in tongues" thing as meaning "speaking and understanding other languages". "Speaking in tongues" just seems really wrong to me. What purpose could there be to people spitting out nonsensical babble? I've got a sister-in-law who was raised by her great aunt and they raised her in a church that were firm believers in speaking in tongues. This girl has done it many times (never seen it myself), but she also seems to be attacked by demons frequently. She has told of many times that she has been in bed and felt like she was being held down and attacked. Is there a connection? I think so.
Offline shalom82  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2007 2:25:13 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think Icy that you are right about being able to understand and speak other languages
as was the case with the pouring out of the set apart spirit during Shavuot
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline shohn  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2007 9:00:22 PM(UTC)
shohn

I've only seen one or two videos of demon possession that looked convincing. Both were from some Russian church, but I don't speak Russian so who knows. They could have been pulling my lef for all I know.

I've never actually heard anyone speak in tongues, though I've heard some try to argue that it is a "first step" in being able to better hear the still voice. I'd like to go to a Pentecostal at some point just to see what it is all about, but I hope it is more than just nonsensical gibberish that turned into something it wasn't because of a translation problem. That would be a very very bad thing (TM) if people were running around speaking gibberish saying it was from above and come to find out it was a translation problem.

I think Paul said something about there needing to be someone who could understand what was being said as well though, which would preclude this just being "foreign" tongues wouldn't it?

Good discussion!
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Icy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:53:00 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I did just want to find what scripture talks about tongues, but I came across a page that already did what I was going to do: The True Gift of Tonges and it's companions: The False Gift of Tongues. Unfortunantly, the author uses the errent names and terms we are familier with, but his reasoning is sound.

In short, here is what the true gift has:
1. It is a known language (Acts 2:1-13).
2. It is directed toward Yahuweh, not men (Acts 2:11, 1 Cor. 14:2a) (Therefore is is alwasy praise, not preaching).
3. It is not for believers, but unbelievers (1 Cor. 14:22a).
4. It is the choice of the Ruach, and not everyone is expected to have it (1 Cor. 12:11, 1 Cor. 12:29-30a).
5. It is for the common good (1 Cor. 12:7) (Therefore it is never done it private).
6. It is for everyone (1 Cor. 12:8-10).
7. There must be someone to interpret the languange (1 Cor. 14:15-19).
8. Women are not permitted the gift of tongues (1 Cor. 14:33b-34, 37).

I confess I didn't check this bit of scripture, I just read what the author had quoted.