logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cgb2  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:53:05 PM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I found this article thought provoking about Ayn Rand who promoted "objectivism" as a logical extention of absolute "reason":
http://www.skeptic.com/r...keliest-cult-in-history/

Interesting how cultish her following became, even using "reason and objectivity" on petty things like taste in music.
Seems even in her opus "Atlas Shrugged" heros Hank & Dagny adulterous affair mirrors the "reason" of it in her own life.

Seems "reason" is still based entirely on ones world view, and one will come to entirely different conclusions than another that has them rooted in the Torah/Prophets/Psalms.
Offline Richard  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 9:27:02 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I am crazy about your new avatar, Chuck. Good job!
Offline cgb2  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:15:11 AM(UTC)
cgb2

flintface wrote:
I am crazy about your new avatar, Chuck. Good job!

Thanks, me too. A reminder of Yahowah's name in ancient paleo.
I had taken a South Park Butters graphic, added a guitar a while ago for use in AIM. First I tried to put YHWH on forehead but was too small to be legible in 50x50 so made butters smaller and YHWH bigger.
Offline FredSnell  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:35:56 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
“Now I am sick of these harmless lies and little white lies. You know, you can call a shovel an ice-cream machine, but it's still a shovel, Mom and Dad. Ah, and you can call a lie whatever you want, but it's still a no-good stinkin' lie! And when you start coverin' up one lie with another why, now that's when you get into real trouble!”

Butters Scotch
Offline dajstill  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:04:00 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
cgb2 wrote:
I found this article thought provoking about Ayn Rand who promoted "objectivism" as a logical extention of absolute "reason":
http://www.skeptic.com/r...keliest-cult-in-history/

Interesting how cultish her following became, even using "reason and objectivity" on petty things like taste in music.
Seems even in her opus "Atlas Shrugged" heros Hank & Dagny adulterous affair mirrors the "reason" of it in her own life.

Seems "reason" is still based entirely on ones world view, and one will come to entirely different conclusions than another that has them rooted in the Torah/Prophets/Psalms.

I used to be a big Ayn Rand fan. As I walked away from Babylon lots of things started to become more clear. You are correct in her concept of "reason" and how slippery a slope society falls down when one chooses to "live for oneself and no one else". Someone pointed out a while ago that in Ayn Rand's books - there were very few children and those that were in her book died (a couple of children in Atlas Shrugged who died on a train). Everyone doing for "themselves" meant sleeping with anyone that tickled your fancy - which is why Dagny was with Hank, Francisco, as well as John Galt.

The thing that is tough about Ayn Rand is the same thing true about all religions - truth is intertwined within the lie. On the surface it sounds good, until you continue to pull back the layers. Reason turned into objectivism thereby killing true reason and logic. It then became a game of simply finding the right words to justify what you wanted to do, no matter how much it harmed others.
Offline FredSnell  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:15:50 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
dajstill wrote:

The thing that is tough about Ayn Rand is the same thing true about all religions - truth is intertwined within the lie. On the surface it sounds good, until you continue to pull back the layers. Reason turned into objectivism thereby killing true reason and logic. It then became a game of simply finding the right words to justify what you wanted to do, no matter how much it harmed others.

You said what Butters said, only more eloquently..:^)
Offline James  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:27:15 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
dajstill wrote:

Very well stated. I love Ayn Rand's work because there is so much right in it, but at the same time there is so much wrong in it. And when you talk to her fans today it is like a religion.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline cgb2  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:25:14 PM(UTC)
cgb2

I used to listen to Chuck Missler a long time ago, and a favorite quote "Never underestimate the ability of the human mind to rationalize evil" so true. But even CM should talk since he's a heavily promoter of xtianity and had to see/ignore many things in his extensive study of scripture....but that would be bad for busine$$ in the mini$try.

Another paradox is Alan Greenspan a member of Rand's inner circle, what he wrote about honest money (gold) and the evils of fiat money, yet chairman of the worst looting banking cartel in history.
http://www.usagold.com/g...edopinion/greenspan.html