logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shohn  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2007 1:37:22 PM(UTC)
shohn

I've been a bit confused by 1 Timothy 4:10, and some of the passages that seem to indicate that though he destroys, he also restores in good time (see previous post about Secrets withheld?). I know, I'm cherry picking here, but I just don't get that passage especially with the use of the word olam potentially not always meaning forever apparently, but just a long time in some instances or some have even suggested just an age. Then there are some of the passages that talk about for man this is impossible, but for God anything is possible, etc.

Revelation 21:8 has always been a fairly easy dismissal of these notions for me, so I started thinking about the uses of sulfur besides smelling really really bad when burnt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thio- which may come from the same word for the latin root fumus -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumigation. Pest extermination substance. Not sure what to make of this. It seems like I remember sulfur being used for medicinal purposes as well, but it is a very vague entry in my memory. Something about sealing a wound on the battle field. Not sure if I made this up or not, again it is a vague entry in my memory. In addition, this is totally off the wall, but I noticed the word at least in English in my interlinears seems close to Theos.

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed again. Any help?
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Icy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2007 6:56:17 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur

Check out the entry on sulfur. It is interesting that sulfur is essential to life. It is within every cell. Also this entry mentions molten liquid sulfur. When combined with water we get sulfuric acid (e.g. acid rain). There are several beneficial uses as well. Two weeks ago my wife was given an antibiotic that was sulfur based called sulfemeth. Unfortunately we found her to be allergic to sulfur, but the are medicinal uses for it.
Offline shohn  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:19:15 PM(UTC)
shohn

Found this on google.

Sulphur, or theion, was considered to be sacred to the ancient Greeks. It was used to consecrate for divine service, to PURIFY, and to cleanse. They used it in religious rites to purify their temples. They would even rub it on their bodies to signify consecration to God. In its verb form the word theou means “to hallow, make divine, or to dedicate to God.”
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Jim  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2007 8:47:05 PM(UTC)
Jim
Man

Take it for what it says (face value), it's not good. Sulphur stinks and is very hot when it burns. Doubtful you could call it "the divine lake of fire" Reveleation 21:8 can be connected in two parts to two different verses. The first part describes especially unrighteous people. Reference Proverbs 6:16-19. Second is what is in store for them. Reference the Assyrian and idol/false-god example in Isaiah (Yashayahu)30:31-33. Can some one check the Hebrew equivalent there in verse 33?
Jim
Offline shohn  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2007 11:19:26 AM(UTC)
shohn

What about Isaiah 19:25?
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Jim  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2007 7:53:00 PM(UTC)
Jim
Man

shohn,
HA! You are messing with me aren't you? "Assyrian" singular as in the king referenced in v.33.

Ok, back on target (or maybe, see *** below).
Strongs Hebrew Dictionary
1614. gophriyth (gof-reeth') probably feminine of gopher; properly, cypress- resin; by analogy, sulphur (as equally inflammable) brimstone.

Isaiah 34:9
Its streams will be turned into pitch, And its loose earth into brimstone (gophriyth) , And its land will become burning pitch.
Genesis 19:24
Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone (gophriyth) and fire from the LORD out of heaven;
Psalm 11:6
Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.

Alright, seven times in the Old Covenant this word is used and all bad.

Hey, I may have missed your original point and focused too much on the sulfur thing. I don't get your reference to 1 Tim. 4:10 as a "he destroys, he also restores in good time." I'll check for a prior post but help me me out here (did I accidentally jump into a conversation and I should mind my own business)?
Jim
Offline shohn  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2007 10:33:22 PM(UTC)
shohn

Jim,

I don't have enough knowledge at this point to mess with you nor would I do so intentionally, but thanks for the vote of confidence anyway. I assume your yes means yes ;)

Here's where I struggle... Every "conventional" explanation of 1 Tim 4:10 just never made sense to me. I know it is focusing too much on one passage, but it just strikes a chord for some reason. That is one, but there are others.

I read some of Yada's insights on one of the most recently released chapters about, the Spirit / Leviticus, where it is usually translated to a "burning sacrifice" with food or something like that, but Yada was focusing on the "rising up" piece instead. That is, the Spirit is what allows us to rise up, etc. I never saw that insight before Yada spent a whole heap of time on it.

I started really getting into this stuff about 2 or 3 years ago is all. I remember reading along beginning to end and thinking, man, this God is evil... until I came to Jeremiah 31. It was almost like the punch line to one heck of a lot of pain, that in the end would be for something good.

I think about those of us with some sort of innate calling or who were put into circumstances to allow us to fall before we could get up. I mean, really, I had not a whole lot of choice in whatever Spirit I may have found or think I found in this calling or whatever you want to call it. It is some sort of "instinctual" feeling that there is a God and he loves or something like that and we're to reach out to people and share. I ask my wife about it and she recalls never feeling something like that... at all. I know different people have different levels of this just from talking to different people. Almost like one person being born attractive and another smart.

So it makes me wonder if this whole thing, that is, the entire human situation, is some sort of training ground for the next life, and that those who are called have some sort of special responsibility, with what we were given, not what we chose. Now I imagine there are opportunities for us to choose on a smaller scale like Moses and his rock fiasco, but it seems like His plans are going to move forward anyway even if we mess up His plans.

Then I read in Jeremiah 31 about him basically having to tear down before he can restore - in essence, one monster of a spanking. Then I think about my own children.. I can't think of anything they could do that I would no longer love them and given enough time could repair whatever damage had been done. Then it makes me wonder? Is love really a choice then? I know in some situations it is, like as it applies to someone you may not know that well or an enemy, but it just doesn't seem that way to me. It just seems like sometimes .. it just is. I can't choose not to love my children.. I just can't, but I assure you, they will be disciplined or they ever really got out of hand get to sit in prison for awhile if they did something really awful.

Then I think of passages where Paul says something to the effect that there was no excuse for not knowing about God, because things as they are evident in nature itself. There is Psalm that talks about this as well if I recall correctly.

Then I read about how the whole burning in hell thing came into play historically and some of the earlier views on the subject. What was Paul so happy about? What was it?

Then the teachings about love your enemy, pray for them, then the stuff about forgive 70 times 70 or however many it was, then the stuff that Paul wrote about (I can't remember where as usual) about them being made blind for our sake and then us being made blind for their sake, etc. The other stuff about the whole lump in reference to the first fruits somehwere in Paul's letters.

Then I think about the different harvests connected with the feasts.. barley, wheat, and corn/winNot sure what to do with the corn, but anyway barley comes early, then wheat, then grapes and corn. Grapes must be tread under foot to make wine, the wheat needs to be laid in the "threshing floor" if I remember correctly, so not quite as bad as being tread under foot, then you have barley, which is a bit more resistant to cold, yet is the first harvest.

Then you have every 7 years all debts were to be forgiven, etc. etc.

So yes knowledge is good and teaches us how we were supposed to be, but then how would we have ever learned the value of anything good without having experienced some bad? gh
Now I know you could probably put all of these questions in an intellectual / scriptural half-nelson in a heartbeat, but I still think something is missing from all of this. There may indeed be tares in this world planted by an enemy for our sake, but if in divine judgment it was designed to teach, not to just punish, is it that hard to imagine that this lake of fire could be something along those lines, particularly when there are good uses for sulfur, and the root does seem to come from theon or however you spell that?

I guess the question is, what is being exterminated in the lake of fire? Sin or the soul? I'm just not convinced enough to be dogmatic about it being the soul at this point. Enter through the narrow gate - few will find it. Is it possible that the narrow gate is for those given the "calling" and who actually followed it, but the rest of us have to be torn down or even destroyed before we can rise up?

The passages you quote below focus on S&G being burned to the ground, but then I read in Ezek 16, where it seems like it is almost like a husband restoring his adulterous wife or parent restoring an errant child, etc. etc. Ever noticed how a field grows grass really really fast after being burnt to the ground? Of course, It doesn't grow back so fast once salt and brimstone is placed on it though. What is meant by portion, and what is meant by cup?

I think about how could I have possibly remotely understood Hosea or Song of Solomon without having almost lost my own wife. Though it was painful to have gone through that, in the end I would do it all over again to have learned so much. One heck of a cup to drink out of, but it changed my whole life. If it had never happened, we both would have probably been a typical miserably married couple.

I know this was quite a bit of rambling, but these are the things that have been puzzling me. Do you get the gist, though I may not be on the money with the finer aspects of Hebrew?

You've listed 7 times where that particular word is associated with something bad, but what I'm not seeing is the other side to the equation. I hope you understand more why I'm puzzled.
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Jim  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2007 3:15:38 PM(UTC)
Jim
Man

shohn,
Much clearer thank you. You covered a tremendous amount of ground in this post and I won't insult you by attempting to address all of it. You were very transparent in sharing your feelings, struggles and thought processes and that is a valuable ability.

Let's see if I am clearer. In another post, Ruch mentioned the desire to see a pattern for a prophetic end-times view. It appears you are recognizing a pattern evolving during your studies but haven't wrapped yourself around it completely. Like a word you've been trying to think about which is right on the tip of your tongue and frustrating you to no end (olam). "Like a word.." is a simile and if you can produce multiple examples of such you can show a pattern as Ruch was asking for in that post.

Before I go further, did I get it?
Jim
Offline shohn  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2007 5:44:57 PM(UTC)
shohn

Jim,

Couldn't have said it better myself!
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Jim  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2007 11:21:53 AM(UTC)
Jim
Man

Cool, then it appears the theme you are describing is one of "proof in the pudding" and apprenticeship. I am distilling this down quite a bit but isn't this what we are saying when we describe going through pain, suffering, trial and tribulation and coming out the other side with greater understanding, wisdom and faith. ""Proof in the pudding" is a result of walking in faith. When I studied the noun form of "faith" in the Renewed Covenant, it was interesting to discover faith was more about loyalty than lack of doubt. Loyalty is often proved and strengthed during adversity or it fails completely. (ie. "faith has grown cold"). Contemplating this made me think of Daniel 12:10

10 Many will be purged, purified and refined, but the wicked will act wickedly; and none of the wicked will understand, but those who have insight will understand.

Interesting to note it is our loyalty which is defined to be true or false and not the object of our loyalty.

What I see when I read your post is that you are converging on the dilema of "does it have to hurt now to get better later?". As you described, coming to the decision of believing in Yahushua meant going through a crucible which left a clear choice of loyalty, have faith in Him or go your own way. How was the Spirit involved in this process we may not know. For others, they may have come to the point of choice with less..criticality. However, both will later experience trying times in life which should serve to vector them to a closer reliance/stronger loyalty/built up faith in Yahuweh.

Apprenticeship was another concept you described. Our Master Craftsman (metaphor) gives us increasingly more complex tasks and we learn more and more. As we learn and the tasks get harder the better we understand His skill/ability/knowledge/wisdom/power. To a degree, isn't this 1 Corinthians 3, 2Tim. 2:15?

I think you are right to say we see these things played out in the lives of those we know and throughout the whole of Scripture. We have to see it otherwise 1Timothy 4:10 can't be true. We labor and strive (wearied and suffer reproach), even contend, because we have our hope fixed on the living God. V.7 and 8 add that without discipline, we don't move toward a likeness of Yahushua.

I would say you are on to something!
Jim