logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dajstill  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:19:41 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
My mom and I were having a discussion the other day and I mentioned being annoyed by many of my christian acquaintances who categorize every single event in their life to one of two things: God or the devil. I mean absolutely every single event is defined by these parameters - God did it or "the devil made me do it".

As we talked I mentioned that I just couldn't find any aspects of demonic possession in the towrah - I only see it in the "NT". It was actually Paul who came up with the concept of the devil "making" him do things as he talked about evil always being present even when he wanted to do good and such.

I looked back to the first account of the adversary found in Bereshith/Genesis. With Chawah, while the adversary twisted the words of Yah - she could have resisted as could Adam. I don't see that he ever overpowered anyone. I just can't seem to find a basis for freewill be taken away until "after" someone relents to the Adversary. In fact, the biggest issues I see is the deception that comes from mankind itself.

However, there are two scriptures that do seem at times to point to this concept. The first are in Yireyahu/Jeremiah 1: 4 - 10 where Yah tells Yirmeyahu that before he was formed in His mother's womb - Yah knew Him, and set him apart for a purpose.

The second is Tehillim/Psalm 139 where Dowd declares that Yah possessed his kidneys and covered him in his mother's womb.

Been trying to chew on this for a moment and haven't really balanced that out yet. Any thoughts?
Offline FredSnell  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:04:57 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I know that from my own past experiences that I am in fact responsible for every thing bad that came as a result of me not carefully considering the consequences of my actions. Whew, and I made it!..this is where you throw up your hands and say, "thank you, jebus." But I don't..I quitely meditate and thank Him/Father for letting me join in on this journey He's helping me with as I read through His summation of all things.
I believe my wife, who was a pretty wild child herself coming up, would agree b/c we have discussed this on many occasions. But she's a person that looks like love. Not beautiful like we equate the standard today, but a beauty like an attraction that you want to be around that makes a person laugh and feel good about themselves. I was just telling her yesterday that, "why is it that black men open up to you so easy, and they seem so shy at times to me." But everybody seems shy to me at times. We have a new neighbor on our block. He's still is, I have found out from him, a ms-13 member. I told some brothers about him already. About his looking all hard at me and all.
You know, like he could kill you if given the chance. Well I broke down that barrier the other day be commenting on his tattoo's that cover his body, even his face(not one tear drop, but three). This guy is pure evil looking, but by the time I was through talking with him, I told my wife, "bet that's the first time he's ever, (yes sir'd) anyone. She immediately, "not since jail."..lol Well I told him not to do that. Feels funny, back in the day he and I would of squared off against one another as I rally the neighbors against someone like this, but not today. Today I let ppl know what they have been taught is completely wrong, and here's why. And I'm still learning and will always be learning. Evil deffinately exist, but we ourselves are responsible for it. And when we see it, say something.
I'm glad you posted this. Making me think this morning about myself and how I can sing Fathers praise better.
Offline dajstill  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2012 1:50:23 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I agree encounterHim - I can trace every bad thing to an exact choice that I made and many of the good things as well. Not to say that Father hasn't protected and provided, He has done things that I absolutely could not have accomplished on my own. But day to day living is all a result of the choices that I make.

But, I still don't know what to do with some scriptures. There are some scriptures that seem to hint at the concept of predestination (completely ignoring Pauline doctrine which outright declares it to be so)

We have:

Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." ... would this scripture be only for those deemed prophets for Yahowah?

Psalm 139:16
"You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed."

Something interesting happens when I read Isaiah 49. In my Scriptures translation is says 49:1: "Listen to Me, O coastlands, and hear, you peoples from afar! Yahowah has called Me from the womb, from My mother's belly He caused My name to be remembered. And He made My moth like a sharp sword, in the shadow of His hand He hid Me, and made Me a polished shaft. In His quiver He hid Me. And He sad to Me, 'You are My servant, O Yisra'el, in whom I adorned.' And I said "I have laboured in vain, I have spent my strength for emptiness, and in vain. But my right-ruling is with Yahowah and my work with my Elohim'. And now said Yahowah - who formed Me from the womb to be His Servant, to bring Ya'aqob back to Him, yet I am esteemed in teh eyes of Yahowah, and my Elohim has been My strenght. and He said "Shall it be a small matter for You to be My Servant to raise up the tribes of Ya'aqob, and to bring back the preserved ones of Yisra'el? And I shall give You as a light to the nations, to be My deliverance to the ends of the earth!"

Good gosh!!! I believe that is speaking of Yahowsha'!!

So, do the "predestination" scriptures really speak to Yahowsha' as opposed to generally being applied to anyone (as Paul tried to claim)?

Offline James  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2012 3:06:00 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Yahowah knowing someone before they were born is indicative of His timeless nature. For Him past, present and future are all one. He knew each of us before we were born because He knew we would come to know Him because from His perspective we had already come to know Him. So Yah knew Yeremeyahu would be a good profit before he was born because He had already witnessed it. So it's not predestination in the sense that Yah decided their destiny, just that he already knew it, so it is more foreknowledge. Just as He knows our future as a whole He knows the future of individuals.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline FredSnell  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2012 3:38:36 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
If you back up to Yahsha'Yah/Isaiah 48, I think this was speaking of Moshe in these verses. I'll give it more thought today, but to me it's speaking of the one, God used to show us His concern for His people. But you might be right, daj. I'll read more tomorrow. It could very well be speaking of coming events. But I do know who stood in the shadow of Gods hand so his face wouldn't gaze upon Yah, and be hurt or annililated like in the last days that Malichi spoke of.