logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dajstill  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:41:05 PM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Had a Christian "friend" on FB post this:

"There are plenty of folks who claim they've found mistakes in the Bible, but the simple fact is this. If somebody actually found a verifiable, provable error contained in Scripture, they have yet to demonstrate it. Christians are used to seeing the world twist and pervert the Bible, deny its Authorship, question its teachings and condemn it as 'hate literature.' There are entire collegiate-lev...el curriculums exclusively devoted to Biblical criticism. Ever notice that other religious books, like the Hindu Upanishads, the writings of Buddha or Zoroaster, and, most particularly, the Koran, are never subjected to a scholarly analysis of their historical or textual accuracy?"
Jack Kinsella, Omega Letter Intelligence Digest:
Higher Criticism -- How High Do You Have to Be? 1/31/12

Of course, I had to comment back. I gave several examples of errors - including things such as YHWH's name as well as that of the Son. I even talked about KJV using the word "unicorn" when it should have been "wild ox". I gave plenty of "verifiable, provable errors". Guess what the "friend" did - deleted my posts! Its one thing to debate, but to delete them?

Well, everyone just raved about how much they LOVE the KJV and there were just a couple "spelling errors" and nothing more. One person admitted there "might" be an couple interpreter errors. HELLO! If there are "interpreter" errors, then there are errors in your "Bible" you should find out what they are! She deleted my post after one person warned not even to "read those errors" speaking of my post.

I am fine with debate - but to delete my verifiable information? Then, to continue with a lie that no one has EVER presented a verifiable error. That's it, game over.

Even when I was a Christian, I still looked things up when I was told information. I never rejected flat out things that could be looked up on my own. I can finally say that YY with ITG are right - it will be almost impossible for a strong Christian to come into truth. I guess that is why Yahoshua called the Laodecia church rich. Christianity is a very rich religion and it will be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for one to pass into truth being a Christian.

I was expecting a debate - a rational debate. But to simply delete the information, call it "error" and continue with the lie that no one has ever found a "verifiable" error is just insane.
Offline highbrow  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:59:02 PM(UTC)
highbrow

Just remember it's all about faith. Proof is not important to the religious
Offline Daniel  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:52:06 AM(UTC)
Daniel

dajstill wrote:
it will be almost impossible for a strong Christian to come into truth. I guess that is why Yahoshua called the Laodecia church rich. Christianity is a very rich religion and it will be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for one to pass into truth being a Christian.

You quote in this posting about errors points out another error: The line should have been translated as "easier for a rope to pass through the eye of a needle" not "camel".

Dan-"I-used-to-be-a-Strong-Christian"-Nafe
Nehemiah wrote:
"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water" Nehemiah 4:23b

We would do well to follow Nehemiah's example! http://OurSafeHome.net
Offline dajstill  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:41:33 AM(UTC)
dajstill

I was always taught that it was a rope, but the "camel through the eye" was an expression. Kind of like Yiddish sayings. Who knew!

Chalk that down to another one!

By the way - my ISR Scriptures says it is the Aramaic word "gamla" which is camel or rope. If it means both, not sure why folks went with camel. I guess the same reason KJV went with unicorns!
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:04:19 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
dajstill wrote:
There are plenty of folks who claim they've found mistakes in the Bible, but the simple fact is this. If somebody actually found a verifiable, provable error contained in Scripture, they have yet to demonstrate it.

dajstill wrote:
Guess what the "friend" did - deleted my posts! Its one thing to debate, but to delete them?

If I ignore what you say that makes it not true.

They just need to modify there original statement slightly. "There are plenty of folks who claim they've found mistakes in the Bible, but the simple fact is this. If somebody actually found a verifiable, provable error contained in Scripture, I have yet to acknowledge that they have demonstrated it."

As Doctor House said, "Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there wouldn't be religious people."
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline FredSnell  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:38:05 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Want a game changer in the discussion, well then, let 'em know that God finds their prayers offensive. Whew, a few times I thought a couple of guys were going to lose it when I said that, even after I coupled it with a tad of humor. "You know when you open your mailbox and find a jury sumons, and how your stomach sinks bc you have been served to appear. Picture that as Yah with your christians prayers, except it goes promptly to trash." Talk about some finger pointing right up to my nose...lol. The last guy I did it with is as big and even looks just like the country singer, Trace Atkins. His own father is a methodist preacher and after I got through letting him in on howmany his own father has lead away, I threw in that little ditty from Pro28:9, and as he turned, mouthing some words I want repeat right now, he then turns putting his finger in my face and says, "no one's gonna tell me that jesus doesn't hear my prayers." As I turned back towards my drive I just looked at him a said, "I just told you, Sammy."
Offline Daniel  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:06:59 PM(UTC)
Daniel

dajstill wrote:
By the way - my ISR Scriptures says it is the Aramaic word "gamla" which is camel or rope.

The difference in Aramaic between "camel" and "rope" is the angle of one 'ascender' of one letter.

So now it is down to the scribe's handwriting that makes the difference between "camel" and "rope".

Since there is no archaeological nor linguistic support for "camel" (despite all the "pastor stories" I have heard) and ropes are difficult to thread through needles, I'll go with "rope" for a thousand, Alex.
Nehemiah wrote:
"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water" Nehemiah 4:23b

We would do well to follow Nehemiah's example! http://OurSafeHome.net
Offline FredSnell  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:33:12 PM(UTC)
FredSnell

Daniel wrote:
The difference in Aramaic between "camel" and "rope" is the angle of one 'ascender' of one letter.

So now it is down to the scribe's handwriting that makes the difference between "camel" and "rope".

Since there is no archaeological nor linguistic support for "camel" (despite all the "pastor stories" I have heard) and ropes are difficult to thread through needles, I'll go with "rope" for a thousand, Alex.

According to wikipedia, the greek might be where the translation got lost..

Cyril of Alexandria claimed that "camel" is a Greek misprint; that kamêlos (camel) was a misprint of kamilos, meaning "rope" or "cable".[2][3] However evidence for such a Greek term is weak, there is little or no Greek manuscript support, and it goes against the standard principle of textual criticism that errors tend to happen towards the easier reading, not against it.

When it comes to shoving a camel through the eye a needle, considering who's the One doing the speaking, just maybe, "the easier reading" is the answer...hehe!
Offline dajstill  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2012 2:56:59 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Hey Daniel and enounterHim - what was the Greek word used in Matthew 23:24? My scriptures reads: Blind guides - straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!

Was this "camel" the right one and they thus clearly translated the word "rope" as camel wrongly?

Thanks!

Offline FredSnell  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2012 3:51:10 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

dajstill wrote:
Hey Daniel and enounterHim - what was the Greek word used in Matthew 23:24? My scriptures reads: Blind guides - straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!

Was this "camel" the right one and they thus clearly translated the word "rope" as camel wrongly?

Thanks!

Good point!...http://biblos.com/matthew/23-24.htm

This is the "real" game of, "hide and seek."

but speaking in parables should be just that, imho, keeps you on your toes with your hand raised.
Offline FredSnell  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:10:29 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

You just have to laugh at all of the sillyness...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17036046
Offline Mike  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:20:28 AM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
So I was driving home from work Monday night and I turned on a Christian radio station and it was playing “Renewing your Mind with Dr. R.C. Sproul” and he was talking about the zeal that new Christians have and that they start reading the “Bible” and they get through “Genesis” and “Exodus” but then they fall off after starting to read “Leviticus” although some make it to “Numbers”. I am listening and thinking to myself, that is so true, they get to the book called Qara – Called Out and they stop reading because they don’t want to be called out. They want to be a part of the group. Or they get stuck in the book called BaMidbar so then they are stuck in the wilderness without the Dabar / Word. Anyway, I thought that was funny. October 14, 15 minutes into the broadcast (The Goal of Christian Living).

http://www.ligonier.org/...goal-christian-living1a/

Shalom
Offline cgb2  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:59:28 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Steve Martin - Atheists don't have no songs. Funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wogta8alHiU
Offline Bubsy  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:05:04 PM(UTC)
Bubsy
Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
encounterHim wrote:

When it comes to shoving a camel through the eye a needle...

That reminded me of a Motley's Crew comic strip that ran in color some Sunday around the turn of the century or so as reckoned by the Gregorian calendar. The boss kept exhorting, "Push! Push! Push!" And in the final panels, the workers were commenting there was no way they were going to get that live camel through the eye of a needle, even the giant needle they had that they were trying to get the animal through. The boss (Mr. Drudge) didn't want to give up, suggesting yet another method, and talking like his getting into heaven depended on successfully getting the camel through that needle's eye, and the allusion to it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man getting into heaven was of course made. I just wish I could find the strip to link to it.

As for Sammy who insisted, "no one's gonna tell me that Jesus doesn't hear my prayers," I might have retorted, "Maybe 'Jesus' does, but not Yahowsha, let alone Yahowah, the ones who count."
Ha Shem? I'm kind of fond of Ha Shemp, Ha Larry, and Ha Moe myself. And the earlier shorts with Ha Curly.