logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Royce  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2010 7:45:42 PM(UTC)
Royce
Man

Me nor my family do anything that requires spending money or having someone work be it there job they are at or not. Once in a while there is that instance when I will not make it to the store to get diapers for the baby till the sun is setting or something like that but I try to do my best at following the teaching. Mostly we just spend the day relaxing and playing with the baby and talking and eating and napping and researching the scriptures as well. Its nice to have a break from the world and I for one enjoy the break.
Anything special you folks do or dont do on this day?
Offline MadDog  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 12:14:36 AM(UTC)
MadDog
Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Well apart from the secular Friday and Saturday becoming "Party Night" which seems weird
since almost no "christian" seems to know the significance of it. And "Judaism" practically
won't teach trying to explain the "sabbath" due to centuries of persecution.

What I do is stay home. I'm not married or have any kids. As for the rest of you who
attend a service or perform a service, isn't that exactly the opposite of "not working"
on the sabbath.

I can understand having fellowship before or right after the sabbath is over. Or maybe
during the seven miqra which is a special observance. But to have service during
the sabbath is counter-productive. Wouldn't you agree?

Which brings me back to the very first commandment "Do not eat fruit from that tree."
How simple a commandment was that? How can anyone screw that up?
Offline dugdoo56  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 2:05:27 AM(UTC)
dugdoo56

Greetings all. Well, I suppose I will get jumped on by everyone from every corner but here goes. About a year ago, a friend at work told me that the letter J only came into existence about 500 years ago, therefore, Jesus could not have been His name. This totally spun me out as a Christian. We both did a fair bit of research and found that Christianity is steeped in Paganism etc. We had to almost turn 180 degrees and start to learn all over again, which we all are doing.
Now then...my problem is...I work night-shift. I have for the past 25 years and it is a permanent shift that I cannot change. Knowing that the Sabbath is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown is a most perplexing problem for me as I have to work Friday night. Please realize that I now do not want to work Friday nights.
I have pleaded with work to allow me to have Fridays off but if they change it for me, they will have to change it for everyone, which they wont do.
After realizing that the Names Yahuwah and Yahuwsha were (we think) the correct Names and that the Torah was the correct way to live, my friend decided to quit his job because of the same problem as I and for the past 9 months, has been on unemployment benefits as he cannot find more work.
As I say, I know I will get jumped on because I work Friday nights...please believe me, I don't want to. It is easy for people who work 9-5 everyday to tell me to just quit and find a job that has those hours but at 55 years of age, that is almost out of the question. My wife does not have the same beliefs as I..in fact she does not believe in anything at all, and will probably go beserk if I quit my job.
So there we go. In my heart, I want to obey Yahuwah and follow the Torah to the letter if possible but my work will not permit my change of hours until I retire.
Hoping folks will understand. Any advice will be appreciated... Regards..DD56
Offline Juski  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 2:53:43 AM(UTC)
Juski

Hey dugdoo -you have nothing to apologise for! Life is rubbish sometimes and following Yah's way however much we want to is almost impossible. For example my family chooses not to eat pork but here in the uk chicken breasts are sometimes pumped with water derived from pork to plumb them up - we have no real way to tell the difference! We do our best and that is all we can. Yah knows our hearts and knows that we want to follow his ways, He also knows that the world will do everything it can to stop us. For me following Yah's commands is more about getting to know Him better and understand His plans more. We are humans and will always fail but thankfully Yah doesn't keep tabs, His Grace is enough. I don't think He wants perfect children, he wants real children with all the fun and mess that comes with family relationships.

We try to spend sabbath at home, we don't shop unless a complete necessity and we try to avoid making other people work too. We play with the kids, read, and rest. We do have a sabbath time as a family and do a Bible study or talk about Yah with the kids. We try to have a nice meal and light some candles to make it a bit different to every other day. We sometimes have family events on a saturday which we have to attend, so we try to make the occasions as restful as we can, prepare everything for them the day before and find soem quiet time within the day to stop and reflect. Not easy though!
Offline Sevensup  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:00:17 AM(UTC)
Sevensup

My husband and I have only in the past few years learned about the Sacred Names of our Creator, and at first we attended services on the Sabbath. However, the past year we have not, as I too have thought that attending service or conducting worship service on the Sabbath is not what Yahuweh wants.

My husband now is gravely ill, and last week in the wee hours of Sabbath I had to unexpectedly run to WalMart to purchase necessary things for his care. I was torn about what I should do, as buying and selling is forbidden on Sabbath. I believe that Yahuweh understood that I needed those things to care for my husband, but I did not feel good while at the check-out stand.

Before my hubby got sick,, we used to watch sermons from YRM, and read the Scriptures together, and occasionaly listen to people on Pal Talk. Now because of his mental state he no longer comprehends (that I know of) when I read to him, nor is he able to watch tv/computer. I pray that he learned enough before his illness to make peace with Yahuweh.

One thing I am learning from this experience is that no matter who says what, no matter how knowledgable in the subject of Yada Yahweh someone appears to be, the bottom line is what's in a persons heart. We either accept the truth and live by it as best we can, or not.

My hubby starts on Hospice today, and I am praying for the right way and words to gently, kindly, but firmly refuse their offer of a clergy to come visit. After making the break from paganism christianity, I will not compromise and allow any of it back into my home, no matter how well-intentioned the people are. I do, however, pray that I can plant a small seed of the truth when I tell them thanks but no thanks for their ommie gommie prayers, etc. Any suggestions from you all would be appreciated.

I've not posted much on the site because I don't have the knowledge the rest of you do, but I have learned much from reading what you all have shared among yourselves. Whether the forum dies or flies, there's still alot of knowledge here to be gleaned for the simple people like me. And much food for thought. Thanks for that.

mb
Offline James  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:02:55 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
MadDog wrote:
What I do is stay home. I'm not married or have any kids. As for the rest of you who
attend a service or perform a service, isn't that exactly the opposite of "not working"
on the sabbath.

I would say this depends on what you mean by "service". My wife and I try to do a Scripture study during the Sabbath, and sometimes friends join us, so some would consider that a "service". I don't consider studying Yah's word and spending time with friends and family work, so I don't see this as one bit of a violation of the Torah. I would also say from the handful of times I have went to a church, if that is what people call a service, then there is truly no work going on, as it is the biggest wast of time.

dug, I would hope no one here would condemn you in anyway, for doing what it takes to take care yourself and your family.If you can't not work, Yah understands. I know when I first came to know Him, I had a job where there was absolutely no way I was taking Sabbath off, without getting fired. I toughed it out for about a year, talking with Yah, and trying to find another job, which was tough since i was going to school full, and needed a job that would let me work full time while I was going to school, since I was paying for it out of pocket. Thankfully shortly after I graduated I was given the opportunity to take a job that would not only allow me to rest on the Sabbath, but also to take off for the Miqra, and as a bonus has enough free time to allow me to spend a considerable time studying His word. So trust in Yah and all will be well.

Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline James  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:08:26 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Sevensup wrote:
I pray that he learned enough before his illness to make peace with Yahuweh.

One thing I am learning from this experience is that no matter who says what, no matter how knowledgable in the subject of Yada Yahweh someone appears to be, the bottom line is what's in a persons heart. We either accept the truth and live by it as best we can, or not.

I wouldn't worry about how much he knew, knowing helps, but is not the most important part. The more I come to know the more I come to the conclusion that Yah is less interested in what we know, than about how much we want to know Him. We can spend our entire life seeking and learning about Him, and it would not be a life spent badly, and we still wouldn't know it all, but by seeking to know Him we grow closer to Him, and that relationship is what matters.

Sevensup wrote:
I've not posted much on the site because I don't have the knowledge the rest of you do, but I have learned much from reading what you all have shared among yourselves. Whether the forum dies or flies, there's still alot of knowledge here to be gleaned for the simple people like me. And much food for thought. Thanks for that.

Never be afraid to post regardless of how much you think you know. I have learned more by asking questions than anything else.

Offline Steve in PA  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:22:52 AM(UTC)
Steve in PA

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
dugdoo56 wrote:
Greetings all. Well, I suppose I will get jumped on by everyone from every corner but here goes. About a year ago, a friend at work told me that the letter J only came into existence about 500 years ago, therefore, Jesus could not have been His name. This totally spun me out as a Christian. We both did a fair bit of research and found that Christianity is steeped in Paganism etc. We had to almost turn 180 degrees and start to learn all over again, which we all are doing.
Now then...my problem is...I work night-shift. I have for the past 25 years and it is a permanent shift that I cannot change. Knowing that the Sabbath is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown is a most perplexing problem for me as I have to work Friday night. Please realize that I now do not want to work Friday nights.
I have pleaded with work to allow me to have Fridays off but if they change it for me, they will have to change it for everyone, which they wont do.
After realizing that the Names Yahuwah and Yahuwsha were (we think) the correct Names and that the Torah was the correct way to live, my friend decided to quit his job because of the same problem as I and for the past 9 months, has been on unemployment benefits as he cannot find more work.
As I say, I know I will get jumped on because I work Friday nights...please believe me, I don't want to. It is easy for people who work 9-5 everyday to tell me to just quit and find a job that has those hours but at 55 years of age, that is almost out of the question. My wife does not have the same beliefs as I..in fact she does not believe in anything at all, and will probably go beserk if I quit my job.
So there we go. In my heart, I want to obey Yahuwah and follow the Torah to the letter if possible but my work will not permit my change of hours until I retire.
Hoping folks will understand. Any advice will be appreciated... Regards..DD56

eh Mate ...!

That would be pretty lame if someone/anyone judged you because of your employment situation.

It would be awesome if we all could comply 100% to His instructions but ... It doesn't work out that way.
I would say be of good cheer... you are at least mindful of His instructions and wanting to try your best to learn from them.
Keep the Sabbath in your heart, mind and thoughts... even while your working.

This past year I have been learning new things and drawing nearer to Him in truth and relationship. I am grateful for new insights and truths that I am learning. It is a process and a path we are on... we're not there yet.

It seems to me that some people put following, "The Torah", "The Law", "The Sabbath"... on a higher platform then Yahuwah Himself.
I'm more concerned with learning His Way and getting to know and be known by Him.

I pray that He reveals Himself to your wife and that He draws her near to Him. May the will of Yahuwah be done in both your lives ...!

HalleluYah.. !!!
Offline Daniel  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:24:35 AM(UTC)
Daniel

Sevensup wrote:
My hubby starts on Hospice today, and I am praying for the right way and words to gently, kindly, but firmly refuse their offer of a clergy to come visit. After making the break from paganism christianity, I will not compromise and allow any of it back into my home, no matter how well-intentioned the people are. I do, however, pray that I can plant a small seed of the truth when I tell them thanks but no thanks for their ommie gommie prayers, etc.

Let us all ask Abba Yahweh for blessings on MB and her spouse.
Nehemiah wrote:
"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water" Nehemiah 4:23b

We would do well to follow Nehemiah's example! http://OurSafeHome.net
Offline Royce  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 4:01:21 AM(UTC)
Royce
Man

James wrote:
I come to the conclusion that Yah is less interested in what we know, than about how much we want to know Him. We can spend our entire life seeking and learning about Him, and it would not be a life spent badly, and we still wouldn't know it all, but by seeking to know Him we grow closer to Him, and that relationship is what matters.

I would have to agree with this bro. Very good stuff James. I myself fought with the Sabbath working for years till I finally got married and had a little boy and last year I was fired from my job for not being able to work it anymore and now I have my own business in the same field and I am thankful.
Offline Matthew  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:29:40 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
MadDog wrote:
I can understand having fellowship before or right after the sabbath is over. Or maybe
during the seven miqra which is a special observance. But to have service during
the sabbath is counter-productive. Wouldn't you agree?

Well, the book of Luke does say that it was Yahshua's custom to go to the synagogue on the Sabbath.

Luke 4:16 "And in accordance with and with regards to, in relation to and with respect to His normal custom and familiar and usual habit, He went into and entered, arose and appeared within the synagogue, the gathering and assembly, congregation and place of meeting, in and on the Sabbath day, and He was caused to stand upright and firm, steadfast and established, fixed and unmoveable, upheld and sustained, maintained and authorised to read out loud so that they could accurately know, recognise and acknowledge what was being said." (TWTY)
Offline Daniel  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:30:23 AM(UTC)
Daniel

Matthew wrote:
Well, the book of Luke does say that it was Yahshua's custom to go to the synagogue on the Sabbath.

There you go again, dragging Scripture into it...

2 demerits!

;-)
Nehemiah wrote:
"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water" Nehemiah 4:23b

Offline MadDog  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:06:02 PM(UTC)
MadDog
Man

Matthew wrote:

Luke 4:16 "And in accordance with and with regards to, in relation to and with respect to His normal custom and familiar and usual habit, He went into and entered, arose and appeared within the synagogue, the gathering and assembly, congregation and place of meeting, in and on the Sabbath day, and He was caused to stand upright and firm, steadfast and established, fixed and unmoveable, upheld and sustained, maintained and authorised to read out loud so that they could accurately know, recognise and acknowledge what was being said." (TWTY)

Oh! Good point! However I stopped going to "service" "church" "fellowship" etc. because there seems to be a lot of work going on and not just simply reading scripture. Church, Synagogue, Temple etc. IS A BUSINESS. There is commerce going on.

Also I was disappointed that even the Messianic fellowship I was going to the "rabbi" didn't seem to understand that going to a store on the sabbath is causing yourself and the clerk to work. I used to shot off to the local store right after service and buy some groceries and I would see the "rabbi" do the same. That is until after I learned that it was a no, no. You would think he should have already known that?

He also bought a pepperoni pizza for the crew (me included) that was building the sukot last year, including the assistant rabbi. You would think that a rabbi would know that pepperoni has pork, right?

I just stopped going because I saw one thing after another that smacked of paganism, including "speaking in tongues."
Offline MadDog  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:18:24 PM(UTC)
MadDog
Man

James wrote:
I would say this depends on what you mean by "service". My wife and I try to do a Scripture study during the Sabbath, and sometimes friends join us, so some would consider that a "service". I don't consider studying Yah's word and spending time with friends and family work, so I don't see this as one bit of a violation of the Torah. I would also say from the handful of times I have went to a church, if that is what people call a service, then there is truly no work going on, as it is the biggest wast of time.

You know what mean.

Going to service, going to church, going to temple, going to worship, as in going to a building and watching a preacher, rabbi, choir, perform and get paid for it. Not including if your church is a mega-church then you'll have security guards, teachers, gardeners, TV cameramen, etc.

And I would consider what you do at your house more as a "fellowship" since no one is getting paid, "service" would imply some sort of labour whether you get paid or not. So yes, your right it wouldn't be in violation of the Torah, but what I stated above most certainly would.
Offline James  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:53:42 AM(UTC)
James
Man

MadDog wrote:
He also bought a pepperoni pizza for the crew (me included) that was building the sukot last year, including the assistant rabbi. You would think that a rabbi would know that pepperoni has pork, right?

Just as a side note for those that are interested, there are some pizza places that have beef pepperoni, so if you like pepperoni and don't want to eat pork, shop around.

Offline Daniel  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:55:22 AM(UTC)
Daniel

James wrote:
Just as a side note for those that are interested, there are some pizza places that have beef pepperoni, so if you like pepperoni and don't want to eat pork, shop around.

Applegate Farms makes turkey "bacon". It tastes good! Their organic (grass fed, too, I think) beef products are first rate as well.
Nehemiah wrote:

Offline Matthew  
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:13:54 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
MadDog wrote:
Oh! Good point! However I stopped going to "service" "church" "fellowship" etc. because there seems to be a lot of work going on and not just simply reading scripture. Church, Synagogue, Temple etc. IS A BUSINESS. There is commerce going on.

Also I was disappointed that even the Messianic fellowship I was going to the "rabbi" didn't seem to understand that going to a store on the sabbath is causing yourself and the clerk to work. I used to shot off to the local store right after service and buy some groceries and I would see the "rabbi" do the same. That is until after I learned that it was a no, no. You would think he should have already known that?

I just stopped going because I saw one thing after another that smacked of paganism, including "speaking in tongues."

Yeah, organised religion ain't the bomb. It's no wonder that Yahshua turned their tables over in anger.

But a rabbi ordering a pepperoni pizza... Now there's a sight! Ok, not much of a sight because my wife's Jewish family comfortably eat pork saying it's a "health law," whatever that means.
Offline cgb2  
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:53:11 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I generally go to small fellowship hosted by freind in his home (before sundown summer or winter after sundown and already sabbath). Have dinner then study, music, fellowship. Know the scriptures talk about rest, and not neccesarily meeting together which could be any day.

After reading last few chapters of Nehemiah I strive even more to avoid buying & selling on sabbath. Occasionally there arises situations akin to "ass falling in a well".

I think amplified translation of Leviticus 23 emphasizes clearly the point of sabbath being - entering his rest and YHWH provides salvation (can't work for it). Interesting the Yah's choice of words:

3Six (ses) days (yowmym) the service of the spiritual messenger (mala’kah) shall be performed (‘asah - accomplished), so then (wa) in (ba) the (ha) seventh (shaby’y) day (yowm) will be a Sabbath (shabat - time of rest and reflection), a set-apart (qodesh) called-out assembly (miqra’) for rest and reflection (shabatown). All (kol) service of the heavenly messenger (mala’kah) shall not (lo’) be done (‘asah - performed). It is Yahuweh’s Sabbath (shabat - time for rest and reflection) in (ba) all (kol) your (‘atem) dwelling places and throughout time (mosab - wherever and whenever you assemble).
Offline cgb2  
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 8:04:03 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
....then during daylight hours, love to study His word, relax, pray and seek him as well as enjoy my family. I often take a nap to catch up on sleep. After sundown (start of 1st day) I sometimes work, but if not will during daylight hours following.
I often joke with my wife how I've got the rest on 7th day down, now I need to do better about the other part "6 days shall you work" :^) ...when refering to chores around the house.
Offline Daniel  
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 8:41:22 AM(UTC)
Daniel

cgb2 wrote:
Occasionally there arises situations akin to "ass falling in a well".

I don't recall falling in a well..
Nehemiah wrote: