logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline austex  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2010 12:29:34 PM(UTC)
austex

Recently I've felt the need to study Biblical Hebrew. I'm not sure why, but I would imagine it began when I read Yada Yahweh and The Owner's Manual, which lead to me wanting to read the Torah, Prophets, and Writings in Hebrew. I had a moment of clarity--which is rare for me--and realized I wanted to learn Hebrew. I love languages, and I'm definitely getting a lot of satisfaction from learning it. At the same time, though, I don't judge people who can't read Hebrew: I don't believe you have to be fluent in Hebrew to know Yahweh. I've just felt called to learn it.

Anyway, last night my wife and I were talking and she said something along the lines of this:
"It's great that you're studying Hebrew, but if you're not careful you'll turn into a Pharisee. Jesus wouldn't want that. He didn't care about minutiae, and if you get too into studying Hebrew, you might end up judging people too much and become a Pharisee."

That kind of knocked the wind out of me, so to speak. I didn't really know how to respond because I wasn't expecting that at all. It discouraged me. Then the realization that I was being discouraged just by something my wife said discouraged me even more.

How would you have responded?
Offline austex  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2010 12:36:44 PM(UTC)
austex

Bump? This got put at the bottom of the topics list for some reason...
Offline Royce  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2010 2:01:10 PM(UTC)
Royce
Man

Thats like saying dont ask questions because you might not like the answer, ridiculous. Sounds like something the government would say.
Offline BiynaYahu  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 9, 2010 6:29:52 AM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

I think she is right, but don't stop studying just keep in mind that pharisitical behavior can arise. Make sure not to become to critical of other peoples walks. It's about the walk not the destination. You don't get there until you die ;P
Someone who does not dearly love or welcome, entertain, look fondly upon or cherish people with strong affection or highly esteem them with great favour, goodwill or benevolence, be loyal to or greatly adore them has not known or understood, perceived or realized, noticed or discerned, discovered or observed, experienced or ascertained, learned about or distinguished, comprehended, acknowledged or recognized God*, for concerning this, God* is and exists as brotherly love and affection, good will, esteem and benevolence.