logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Richard  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 8:45:06 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I was reading "The Problem of Paul" article mentioned in another post, and that took me to more writings by its author, Hyam Maccoby. He posits in "Jesus and the Jewish Resistance" that Yahushua entered Yerushalayim just before the Feast of Tabernacles, and not just before Passover. The proofs he presents as evidence seem sound enough.

I found particularly interesting his remark regarding the Last Supper, "The ritual booths or 'Tabernacles' were often constructed on the flat roofs of houses, so the 'upper room' may in fact have been a 'tabernacle' which was 'strewn over' with tree branches in the prescribed manner."

What do y'all think? Does he prove his point? If so, does that mean that Yahushua was held as a prisoner of the Sanhedrin for 6 months before He was crucified?

This stuff is all fascinating beyond compare. So MUCH has been hidden from us by the Church!

Richard
Offline James  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 2:52:16 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Matthew 26:2 'Ye have known that after two days the passover cometh, and the Son of Man is delivered up to be crucified.' (YLT translation)
Matthew 26:2 “You see and perceive, observe and witness, know and experience, recognise and respect, understand, comprehend and appreciate that concerning this, after two days the Passover feast comes to be and exists, arises, appears and originates, and the Son* of Man is given and granted, supplied and furnished, bestowed and delivered, committed and permitted, extended and presented, surrendered, handed over and betrayed into the hands of men to be crucified*, being nailed to an upright pole and stake” (TWTY translation)

This occurred just before Judas ratted him out. I haven't had a chance to read Mr. Maccoby's proofs yet, but this seems pretty clear cut to me. I will have to read his article when I get a chance but I think he may be off on this one. I would like to see how he explains this statement.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Richard  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 7:43:04 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
So would I. He won't though, because he is, according to him, a Talmudic Scholar. His whole article was to show how "Jesus" was a lunatic who actually thought himself to be God's great deliverer of Israel from Roman bondage. I found his reasonings on the timing of events and on the Master's behavior (from a Jewish standpoint) to be fascinating. Anything that went against the grain of his conclusions was, of course, added to the texts after the fall of Jerusalem by those seeking to promote the new religion of Christianity and is, therefore, not to be trusted. Only what he and other Tulmudic scholars, aka, rabbis, is to be considered trustworthy. That's what I get out of his writings.

All in all, the man makes some sense. But, then, the devil wouldn't enjoy the success he does if his mouthpieces were stupid.

Thanks for the post, James. I needed that.

Richard
Offline bigritchie  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 7:14:11 PM(UTC)
bigritchie

flintface wrote:
I was reading "The Problem of Paul" article mentioned in another post, and that took me to more writings by its author, Hyam Maccoby. He posits in "Jesus and the Jewish Resistance" that Yahushua entered Yerushalayim just before the Feast of Tabernacles, and not just before Passover. The proofs he presents as evidence seem sound enough.

I found particularly interesting his remark regarding the Last Supper, "The ritual booths or 'Tabernacles' were often constructed on the flat roofs of houses, so the 'upper room' may in fact have been a 'tabernacle' which was 'strewn over' with tree branches in the prescribed manner."

What do y'all think? Does he prove his point? If so, does that mean that Yahushua was held as a prisoner of the Sanhedrin for 6 months before He was crucified?

This stuff is all fascinating beyond compare. So MUCH has been hidden from us by the Church!

Richard

Also alot of people had flat roofs back then (hence the admonition to put rails around their roofs so people would not fall) and it served as what we would consider today to be a porch. How he is getting porch to tabernacle is beyond me.

But yea, Hyam has some interesting things, but as usual you have to gleam what you can and investigate everything. And of course since Hyam is a Talmudic scholar aka a Pharisee pretty much, he dare not tell the real truth regarding the "oral Torah".