logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bridget  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2010 4:25:07 PM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So, I was looking at a friend's pictures, which he is very proud of...His daughter
receiving the sacrament of communion in the catholic church...

I look at these pictures of this beautiful girl..in a miniature wedding gown is what it is...veil and all...
She's beautiful, but has no idea.

I know this because I remember my own confirmation. I wore white. It was a grand celebration. Everyone dressed up. I played my part and then I received gifts. One of the special gifts a piece of jewelry depicting St. Christopher. I still love this little jewel...not because of what it is...but because I've had it for so long and I was told it would 'keep me safe'. I know better, but still love it. I don't wear it, but I love it. The myths are not all ugly. Quite mesmerizing for a child, actually.

Confirmation was a very silly, empty thing. All I was required to do was memorize prayers, and a few other 'facts' about the religion. I'll never forget memorizing them. LOL ;)

The only one I ever liked was "the lord's prayer" and it's still my favorite...only because I thought I'd learn more from it because it was something "jesus" actually prayed....but, back then...they were just 'chants'...and memorizing...the depth was never conveyed to me because my questions went unanswered and so like any good girl, I memorized them for my big day at the church, and I was "Confirmed".

I look at these pictures and I am so saddened remembering and knowing what is going on.
I can't help but remember the pathetic answers to my questions. "The Priest will know"..."That's not important"...etc, etc....
Looking back on my 'child' brain....I'm pissed off. Surely that is child abuse. They had no problem explaining math or science...shouldn't the word of GOD be worth the time? ...(my kid brain thoughts...sorry..lol...issues, I've got.)

Yes, I'm a recovering Catholic, still....sorry to rant. I argue weekly with a family member...deep conversations..that seem to go nowhere. He is a devout...a DEVOUT Catholic and thinks I'm now under the influence of an evil spirit, so I'm a bit sensitive to catholic matters.

So, seeing pics of a friend's child being 'confirmed' in her little mini wedding dress...just hurts my heart. I could not even comment. No congrats. nothing. I was just silent. I know that is rude, but I cannot do anything but be quiet because I'm not bright enough to argue all of it....

And...frankly, nobody close would understand so here I am on YY's forum ranting.

Thanks for listening. :)

Offline In His Name  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2010 3:11:54 AM(UTC)
In His Name

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Rant away Bridget.

Unfortunately, most of us understand all too well.

I took my kids out of public school and put them in catholic school, thinking I was doing a good thing.

I put them through the whole experience.

I hope I have the time and ability to undo all of that.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline bitnet  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2010 4:32:14 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

Bridget, I know what you mean and can empathise with you because we have similar backgrounds. Even right now my brother and sister and their families are Catholics while I willingly gave up that thought many years ago. I also have other relatives and friends who are non-Catholics but they are just as misguided. It is not a matter of how wrong each denomination is, but how to get each one that matters to us to the Truth.

I was not ready to share the message for a long time, and I wanted to be sure of everything at first. However, I am now engaging with Christians whenever possible to try to expose them to the real meaning of Scripture and what our real purpose here is for. I burn CDs, edit and print articles and keep them handy for distribution. I do not mind spending time talking with those who enquire, but I will not purposely seek out people to proselytize to.

Yes, the Catholic children may suffer, but no more than the others who are just as misled by other religions. What we are called to do is to know Yahweh ourselves, and live according to what we learned of His Truth. This will include keeping His Sabbaths, His Commandments and His Miqra, and explaining this to the others around us is a great start... if they enquire.

It is normal to rant, as we all do so more often than not, but it is more important to share our knowledge of Yahweh and His redemptive message. And as time goes by, I fully realise that NOW is the best time in all of history to share this message. In a few short years, whatever challenges we face now will pale in comparison to the horrors that are about to come upon this world. So don't hold back and continue to be passionate because that may just be the ticket to wake the others who have been drugged into a whitewashed religion.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.