logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yahwehs Kid  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:04:20 PM(UTC)
Yahwehs Kid

We are very confused as to when the feasts start and stop, Which days of the three feasts are Sabbaths, and what is suppose to be done for each? Please help.
Offline Prodigal  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 3:32:12 PM(UTC)
Prodigal

This should help with the dates:
http://yadayahweh.com/Ya...Assemblies_Miqra_ey.YHWH

As for what to do, that's something I've been thinking about too. I've been trying to get through the three spring feast chapters in YY, but am only starting FirstFruits now. What I've learned so far (and I'm sure others here can expand on this) is that observation of the feast (and having an actual feast) is the most important thing. We're not called, from what I gather, to reenact the entire ceremonies (bringing a lamb into the house 4 days early, slaughtering it, etc).

For what it's worth, here's what I'm planning (note, this is my first year observing the feasts and I'm learning all the time, but it's a start). I'll be doing the feast at the end of the day (since sunset is after the kids go to bed; little late to start eating):

Passover (evening 3/30 - evening 3/31) - Grillout with lamb (if I can find it and not go broke; almost $4/lb here) and unleavened bread. Haven't decided on wine (long story, but I don't drink; recovering alcoholic father and I don't trust those genes). Have a story time with the family to talk about the first Passover (in Egypt) and Yahushua's Passover.

Unleavened Bread - I'm going to try to not eat anything with yeast in it for the week (not sure what I'm going to do for breakfast). I should clear out all the yeast in the house, but the way we shop (stockpiling), that's not feasible at this time. Does Yahuweh specify the type of meal for this feast?

FirstFruits - Haven't really thought that far and haven't read that far, so I'm open to suggestions.

It's a start. I know this gets asked every year. I can't recall (after reading through many posts a while ago) seeing any definitive advice for us newbies; at least not all in one place. Might be a good topic for a sticky.
Offline In His Name  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:54:28 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yep, same questions every year.

I am happy to report that this year I have no questions. Feast, Family, Yahweh. Enjoy, Teach, Learn.

Anything definitive would be the start of a whole new religion and I think we all know where that leads.

“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:55:23 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Prodigal wrote:
This should help with the dates:
http://yadayahweh.com/Ya...Assemblies_Miqra_ey.YHWH

As for what to do, that's something I've been thinking about too. I've been trying to get through the three spring feast chapters in YY, but am only starting FirstFruits now. What I've learned so far (and I'm sure others here can expand on this) is that observation of the feast (and having an actual feast) is the most important thing. We're not called, from what I gather, to reenact the entire ceremonies (bringing a lamb into the house 4 days early, slaughtering it, etc).

Yea I would agree - it would be impossible and futile to try and carry out the feast as it is told. We are also supposed to be in Israel... The important part is that we observe it, and observe in the real meaning of the word and not the religious meaning - to look at, examine and understand.

Prodigal wrote:

For what it's worth, here's what I'm planning (note, this is my first year observing the feasts and I'm learning all the time, but it's a start). I'll be doing the feast at the end of the day (since sunset is after the kids go to bed; little late to start eating):

Passover (evening 3/30 - evening 3/31) - Grillout with lamb (if I can find it and not go broke; almost $4/lb here) and unleavened bread. Haven't decided on wine (long story, but I don't drink; recovering alcoholic father and I don't trust those genes). Have a story time with the family to talk about the first Passover (in Egypt) and Yahushua's Passover.

Unleavened Bread - I'm going to try to not eat anything with yeast in it for the week (not sure what I'm going to do for breakfast). I should clear out all the yeast in the house, but the way we shop (stockpiling), that's not feasible at this time. Does Yahuweh specify the type of meal for this feast?

That's pretty much what we do. I make fresh unleavened bread (there is a recipe on the forums somewhere) every day of the feast. Wine solutions? Grape juice! It's just wine that hasn't fermented :)

Prodigal wrote:

FirstFruits - Haven't really thought that far and haven't read that far, so I'm open to suggestions.

What we do is basically explain what the feast means and let the kids have sweets lol

Prodigal wrote:

It's a start. I know this gets asked every year. I can't recall (after reading through many posts a while ago) seeing any definitive advice for us newbies; at least not all in one place. Might be a good topic for a sticky.

Hehe, the key is you are observing them and taking the time to do something to remember them. An advice thread might be a good idea, even if it tells peeps not to worry too much - I think we have an automatic mind set that is we must or must not do something to the best of our ability.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 3:07:51 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I'm pretty much in the same mind set as the rest.
I have a leg of lamb I plan on grilling up for passover, gonna get some matsah, haven't decided if I want to give making it a go but my wife might, a nice class of wine, and some bitter herbs, as well as a few side dishes. Then me and my wife will probably spend the rest of the night discussing and reading about the feast, and continue into the next day.
While we don't need to follow it to the T, it is fun and informative to read through all the steps, and discuss and understand the symbolism of everything that was delineated remember nothing in Yahuweh's instructions is extra or for naught it all has a meaning.

But most of all, just have a good time and enjoy time with your family, and your father.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline RidesWithYah  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 3:21:16 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Quote:
Feast, Family, Yahweh. Enjoy, Teach, Learn.

I would add one thing to this list -- PRAY.
Offline In His Name  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 4:07:03 AM(UTC)
In His Name

RidesWithYah wrote:

I would add one thing to this list -- PRAY.

Absolutely, In my mind the whole feast is a prayer, a time to be with Father Yah and family and friends.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Kelly and Shasta  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 6:08:16 PM(UTC)
Kelly and Shasta

We've been studying YY for a while now, and decided to join the forum. We've celebrated the Pessach for our entire lives, but mostly did it wrong. Coming from a Jewish background, there is more yeast than flour in the ceremony. So- we threw the whole thing out and started over four years back. Strange analogy.

Old habbits die hard. I spent an hour explaining to my wife that the Destroyer wasn't going to come after me because I went outside after dark. Unfortunately, she's reading along and I think I just opened up the issue again . . .

Ten minutes later (with the worms all back in the can):

There are a lot of great ideas circulated on the forum and I'd like to add that the First and Seventh days of the Feast of Unleavened bread are Shabats and regular work is not permitted (Lev 23:7). This makes tons of sense to me since the whole point of the feast is to celebrate how YHWH delivered us from slavery. What a great blessing to take a day off reminding ourselves that we are not slaves to our employers, or the system of Mitzraim. We are living for the kingdom of YHWH and we are not bound to this place.

YHWH blesses us with the opportunity to take the day off, hold a sacred assembly with our fellow believers and Him. We celebrate the miracles He did and does for us then and now. Teaching our children the story of Exodus and the fulfillment through Yahshua is also an important part of the party:

"For seven days eat bread made without yeast and on the seventh day hold a festival to YHWH. Eat unleavened bread during those seven days; nothing with yeast in it is to be seen among you, nor shall any yeast be seen anywhere within your boarders. On that day tell your son, 'I do this because of what YHWH did for me when I came out of Egypt.' This observance will be for you like a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead that the Law of YHWH is to be on your lips. For YHWH brought your out of Egypt with his mighty hand. You must keep this ordinance at the apointed time year after year." Ex 13:6-10

We also like to follow the example of Yahshua and the desciples when they finished their Pessach with a Hymn.

The first day of the Feast is the 15th of the first month (Tuesday the 30th this year) and the seventh day is on Monday April 5.

Happy Pessach everyone and next year in the Kingdom!!!

Offline PattyB  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 9:02:02 PM(UTC)
PattyB
Woman

James, your wife would love to make some fresh unleavened bread. :)
Quote:
YHWH blesses us with the opportunity to take the day off, hold a sacred assembly with our fellow believers and Him. We celebrate the miracles He did and does for us then and now. Teaching our children the story of Exodus and the fulfillment through Yahshua is also an important part of the party:.

I can remember doing that with my family when I was young. It is a great way to reflect on what Yahuweh has done for us. I also like
Quote:
Feast, Family, Yahweh. Enjoy, Teach, Learn.

That is really the important part.
Offline James  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:48:46 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Happy Passover to all.

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:52:16 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Yes Have a great one guys :D
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline In His Name  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:14:14 AM(UTC)
In His Name

Kelly and Shasta wrote:
We've been studying YY for a while now, and decided to join the forum. We've celebrated the Pessach for our entire lives, but mostly did it wrong. Coming from a Jewish background, there is more yeast than flour in the ceremony. So- we threw the whole thing out and started over four years back. Strange analogy.

Kelly and Shasta, What are the traditional days of the Feasts. There seems to be some uncertainty about whether Unleavened Bread starts on Passover or on the 2nd day. This could mean an 8 or 7 day long festival.

While I am hesitant to take the tradition of rabbinical judaism, I don't see any other clear source for the information.

Thanks and welcome to the forum!

Hey, I do still have questions!!
Offline James  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 1:51:15 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Robskiwarrior wrote:
That's pretty much what we do. I make fresh unleavened bread (there is a recipe on the forums somewhere)

I can't find it anywhere Rob, would you mind reposting it, my wife has promised to make me some. :)

Thanks

Offline Matthew  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 1:54:19 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
James wrote:
I can't find it anywhere Rob, would you mind reposting it, my wife has promised to make me some. :)

Thanks

http://www.yadanews.com/...vened-Bread-Recipes.aspx
Offline lassie1865  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:11:18 AM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

I thought Passover was on 3/30, Tuesday, and UB on Wednesday, 3/31???? I celebrated UB on Wednesday, and went back to work on Thursday!

Ugh!!
Offline edStueart  
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:11:43 PM(UTC)
edStueart

lassie1865 wrote:
I thought Passover was on 3/30, Tuesday, and UB on Wednesday, 3/31????

Ummm, we started our meal before dark on Monday, 3/29, (or 14 Nisan) and finished after sunset on Monday 3/29, or ( or 15 Nisan).

Did we get it right?

Do we get points for trying?
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline RidesWithYah  
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:54:47 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Quote:
The first day of the Feast is the 15th of the first month (Tuesday the 30th this year) and the seventh day is on Monday April 5.

That's basically how I see it.
We've had lots of discussion about this in our group.

My understanding is this:
Keep the lamb from the 10th "until" the 14th day, and kill it at evening.
The original meaning was evening, the start of the 14th day. (Genesis -- evening, morning... the first day...)
At midnight on the 14th day, death came through Egypt.
The people hustled out of Egypt, for the express purpose of a Feast to Yahweh in the Wilderness -- on the 15th day.

We are told that the 14th is a "memorial of the sacrifice of Yahweh's passover"; but it is not a holy convocation.
(In my mind, that's because the Messiyah could not be sacrificed on a holy convocation.)

Even though you eat unleavened bread in the Passover, the 14th is the Passover, and the 15th is the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. As John 19 says, they had to get Yahshua off the pole and into the grave before sunset (the end of) the 14th day -- start of the 15th day, because "that sabbath was an high day" -- the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. On the seventh day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, another Holy Convocation.

But during the Babylonian captivity, Israel picked up the Babylonian interpretation of the word "evening", what we would call afternoon, before sunset; and began slaughtering their lambs toward the end of the 14th day.
This confusion is still with us today; but the beautiful thing about it is, it let our Messiyah eat the Passover at the "correct" time with His disciples (not early); and yet be sacrificed at the same time as the priests were slaughtering the Passover lambs for Israel (because they were late); at the end of the 14th.

Although the 14th is not a holy convocation, I took the day as a "memorial of the sacrifice". I'm fortunate I was able to spend it (Sunday night and Monday) fellowshipping and worshipping with like minded believers. They met again on Tuesday -- I took the day off work, and spent it with the family; including reading Exodus with my 8yo daughter.

Hallelu-yah!

Offline Kelly and Shasta  
#18 Posted : Friday, April 2, 2010 5:29:16 PM(UTC)
Kelly and Shasta

In His Name wrote:
Kelly and Shasta, What are the traditional days of the Feasts. There seems to be some uncertainty about whether Unleavened Bread starts on Passover or on the 2nd day. This could mean an 8 or 7 day long festival.

While I am hesitant to take the tradition of rabbinical judaism, I don't see any other clear source for the information.

Thanks and welcome to the forum!

Hey, I do still have questions!!

Thank you. Happy to be here. Our collective recollection is that we got just one day off at the beginning and then one at the end. Passover Sedar would start on the first day of unleavened bread.
The first assembly day would be Monday evening to Tuesday Evening this year and the last would then be Sunday night to Monday night this year. We only ever got two days off from school (assuming they were not weekend days).

Yahshua's passover is described in Matthew Ch 26:17 as occurring on the first day of the feast of unleavened bread. I'm sure he did it right, and twilight of the preceeding day (14th) would also count as the first day of the feast of the unleavened bread (15th) since the sun had set by the time they could eat. That holds for the original Exodus account as well.

By the time the lamb was slaughtered and prepared, it would be well into the evening that started at sundown on the 15th. This is the only way I can reconcile it with the RC. The calendar I get from my work has always had the right day for Passover, so I take it off and then count 7 more and take that one off too.
Offline lassie1865  
#19 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2010 5:24:13 AM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

Does "between the evenings" mean half way between noon (when the sun "begins" its descent), and 6 pm (when the sun finalizes its setting on the horizon)? If that is the case, then 3 pm would be in the "middle" or "between" the evenings.

Also, should the lamb be slaughtered at the beginning of the 14th (3 - 6 pm - at the end of the 13th?) So, are you saying that the Jews in 33 CE were slaughtering their lambs a day late? The Passover meal Yahushua and the disciples shared was the correct time; but then, how would anyone have time to roast the lamb? Were they supposed to eat it during the night, around midnight or later?
Offline kp  
#20 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2010 1:06:54 PM(UTC)
kp

"Between the evenings" means between sundown and the time when it grew dark enough so you could see two stars in the sky. The lambs were slaughtered and prepared on the afternoon of the 14th. The leaven had to be removed from the house and the fire (a symbol for judgment) had to be kindled before sundown--i.e., prior to the Sabbath. But it takes a while to cook a lamb. The Passover meal (seder) was eaten some time well into the evening of the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread---not on Passover proper. As the Passion clearly demonstrates, the Lamb was killed on "the preparation day," the 14th, and it nourishes us (not to mention keeping the angel of death at bay) on the 15th. The meal Yahshua and the Disciples shared was not a Passover seder, but it was eaten on the "day" of Passover.

kp
Offline RidesWithYah  
#21 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2010 6:25:35 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

kp,

Your response doesn't make sense to me.

If the Israelites in Egypt killed the lamb toward the end of the 14th, and ate the meal after sundown (beginning of the 15th), that puts them beginning their journey on the 15th. But the 15th is a sabbath, not a day of travel. Moses told Pharoah that they had to leave, in order to have a feast to Yah in the wilderness (travel on the 14th, feast on the 15th.)

They took their lamb on the 10th, kept it "up until the 14th day" (not until the end of the 14th day, or through the 14th day, UNTIL the 14th day, which means the start of the day), killed it, cooked it, ate it with staff in hands and shoes on feet. The angel passed through Egypt during the night of the 14th, ("for I will pass through the land of Egypt this night" -- not the next night --Exodus 12:12) and they left that morning.

"And it shall come to pass, when your children shall say unto you, What mean ye by this service? That ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of Yahweh's passover, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when he smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses. And the people bowed the head and worshipped." Exodus 12:26,27

How did they celebrate in the wilderness? "And they kept the passover on the fourteenth day of the first month at even in the wilderness of Sinai" (Numbers 9:5)

Quote:
The meal Yahshua and the Disciples shared was not a Passover seder

Yahshua indicated that it was:
"And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:" Luke 22:15
Offline kp  
#22 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 4:51:09 AM(UTC)
kp

Sorry it doesn't make sense, RWY---its the only scenario that makes sense to me. A couple of points: (1) Exodus 12:6 specifically says that the lamb was to be slain at twilight on the 14th. "And you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of this month, when the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill their lambs at twilight." Twilight is ereb, defined by the Dictionary of Biblical Languages as"the period of time related to the setting of the sun, from late afternoon to the beginning of the dark night time." That doesn't sound to me like the lamb was killed after it got dark on the evening of the 13th, but at the end of the day on the 14th. Maybe I'm wrong; I'll let you decide.

(2) It has always struck me that only bread and wine (and the "sop") are mentioned as being eaten at "the last supper." No lamb (which would have been the main course, not to mention being an incredibly pregnant metaphor) is spoken of. That just doesn't compute to me if they were eating a Passover seder. I believe Yahshua didn't eat the Passover lamb---He was the Passover Lamb.

kp
Offline RidesWithYah  
#23 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 9:12:59 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Matthew, Mark, and Luke sure seem to go to great lengths to repeat that it IS the passover:

Matthew 26:
17Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?
18And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.
19And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover.
20Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve.
21And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

Mark 14:
12And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?
13And he sendeth forth two of his disciples, and saith unto them, Go ye into the city, and there shall meet you a man bearing a pitcher of water: follow him.
14And wheresoever he shall go in, say ye to the goodman of the house, The Master saith, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?
15And he will shew you a large upper room furnished and prepared: there make ready for us.
16And his disciples went forth, and came into the city, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.
17And in the evening he cometh with the twelve.
18And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eateth with me shall betray me.

Luke 22:
7Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.
8And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.
9And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare?
10And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in.
11And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?
12And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready.
13And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.
14And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.
15And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

The confusion over the meaning of "evening" came from the Israelites' time in Babylon. To Yahweh, evening is the start of the day; to Babylon it was the end. 'Ereb' is the same word used in Genesis, (it was evening, it was morning, the first day). Yahweh used this confusion -- Yahshua ate the Passover at the "correct" time with His disciples (after killing the lamb at the start of the 14th); AND was Himself sacrificed at the same time that the priests were killing the lambs toward the end of the 14th.