logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:06:56 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I was curious if any one on the forum has been to Jerusalem and specifically the Western / Wailing Wall? My spefic question is was the 70 CE destruction of the Temple as complete as Yahshua indicated it would be or should we expect even more stones to drop in Jersusalem before the Thousdand Year right begins? I wouldn't expect the prophecy to include the mount itself at least to listeners in the first century and was unsure just what to make of it. If you look at the wiki article on the wall: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Wall

it indicates that additional levels were added in the 7th century CE to what appears above ground today. I also thought that the Romans built a Pagan temple on the mount later as well.

Any thoughts?
Offline J&M  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:59:49 AM(UTC)
J&M

Hi Theophilus,

The info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Wall especially the retaining wall article is very relevant.

If one were to elevate the huge plaza at the vatican complex by 50 to 150+ feet you would have an 'equivalent' wall.
Practically, there are so many 'layers' in that part of Jerusalem that discoveries are made on a regular basis, yielding new and 'jigsaw piece' information.
Tunnels and water cisterns are catacoomed under the city and mount as well!!

Because of the difficulties with the Waaf and islaam ,getting to the great depths needed in excavating the most ancient finds presents all kinds of obstacles.

What is called the western wall is a 'modern' build from the Herodian period and was not part of the Temple.

On the mount itself the Temple was lined with gold, so when it was set on fire, it melted.

Rivulets of gold ran into the foundations, causing even these to be dug up!!

To be honest the 'Old City' that was nearly new when David and Solomon started builing are tens of feet below what is considered old. Most of the city was rebuilt in the times of Herod, and again most of what is uppermost today is from 15th and 19th century Turkish Ottoman rebuilds especially the outer walls.

Due to ignorance, religious fervour, and desparation modern Jewry has enshrined the wall for its own reasons.
In hebrew it is called the 'kotel'.

Sorry to sound like a 'party pooper'.

Jane
of J&M currently living accross the valley from the southeast of the city .
Offline Theophilus  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:40:48 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Thank you for the insights Jane. Not having been to Jerusalem before, it's difficult for me to sense just how the Western Wall fits in to either the Second Temple or the Temple Mount Complex.

I thought that Yahshua's prophecy to be that the building(s) upon the Temple Mount structure, which His disciples were awed by, would be destroyed, "Not one stone left upon stone", within their lifetimes.

Your answer indicates to me that the Temple building upon the mount was utterly leveled and then some, the other buildings also leveled and the Western Wall, a retaining wall and not part of a building resting upon the mount complex at all?

Do I have this right?

Also are their some good images that relate the Western Wall to the 2nd Temple complex?

Thank you,

Theophilus
Offline Theophilus  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2010 4:09:29 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I recieved an answer from Yada on tis topic that I thought that I'd share here:

Quote:
The wailing wall was not part of the temple, only part of reinforcing the temple mount, so that the top area was enlarged and flat. There isn't anything left of the Second Temple besides overturned rubble.

Yah will build His own Temple over where He was nailed to the pole.

Yada

Offline J&M  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 1:56:22 AM(UTC)
J&M

The Western Wall Heritage Foundation gives tours of the 'underparts' to the Temple Mount.

We will eventually get round to it!!!

http://english.thekotel.org/

Offline edStueart  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 2:45:55 PM(UTC)
edStueart

Originally Posted by: J& Go to Quoted Post
The Western Wall Heritage Foundation gives tours of the 'underparts' to the Temple Mount.

Ed Stueart holds up part of the wall during the tour:
UserPostedImage
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!