logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dugdoo56  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:26:04 AM(UTC)
dugdoo56

Hi..can I start a new topic please?? I know I have already talked to Swalchy about this but it is really concerning me. My job entails me to work permanent night shift from 6pm to 2am. I have done this for the past 23 years. If I work a Sunday night, I get a night off during the week. I always have Saturday night off and usually can only get Wednesday night off. My friend here in Adelaide gave up his job with me in Australia Post because he could not get Friday night off to observe the Sabbath. He is now unemployed and not much real hope of getting more work but says he is faithful to Yahweh and that is all that matters. Dont get me wrong, I would love to be able to observe the Sabbath if I could but it would mean I would have to give my job away..after 37 years of employment with Australia Post. What do others think?? If I could change shits to 9am to 5pm, I would be ok but it is not possible as our job "gears up" after 6pm. Do others here observe the Sabbath? What happens if you can't??. Please offer some advise as I do not want to do wrong in Yahweh's eyes. Thanks all...
Offline bitnet  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 5:56:13 PM(UTC)
bitnet

G'day Dugdoo,

How's it going Down Under, mate? I know your problems when it comes to keeping the Sabbath... went through the same thing more than 20 years ago. But then I was a young lad then whereas you are about to retire and have a pension and gratuity at stake. Would Yahweh fault you for doing your job now that you come to understand His Word? Well, that's a toughie as we are almost all breaking His Laws on a daily basis! So, what can I say? That He'll understand your position? I'm sure He does. Then again, try to remember His position on the upright pole! Makes Sabbath-keeping seem really easy then, doesn't it?

Dugdoo, how long more do you have before you retire from work at OzPost? Do you think you can hold out that long knowing what you do know now? I cannot advice you to go against Yahweh's Word, and yet I feel for you and empathise with you. I sought His Grace and took Him at His Word and have carved out a life much more rewarding than if I had stayed and clung to my previous job. Step out in the knowledge that He is true to His Word and that He will provide you with all that you need. Seek Him and He will bless you until your home overflows. Don't just go through the motions and then moan and say, "I did what you asked and here I am broke." Whatever you do, do it wisely. Don't drop everything all at once. Start looking for ways out first. Be willing to do all that is needed. You may not have to do it but you must be willing to do it! Once you trust and rely on Him, do you think He will let you down? And if He chooses a path for you that is unique and strange do you have the strength and courage to proceed? I don't want to be religious about it but open your heart and mind and give yourself to Him and He will guide you. He will open doors that you had closed before, and close doors that you may want to open. But be fully assured that Yahweh will take care of His children.

Shalom Aleichem.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline lassie1865  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 6:17:09 AM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

I have had some nagging thoughts regarding keeping the Sabbath for persons who are employed in public safety: fire departments, hospitals, utilities, etc. People would die if there were no emergency crews on duty. Maybe those individuals could choose to work for free on the Sabbath, or give away the money they earn on the Sabbath . . .
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 10:14:47 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
This is really a tough question, for the first year or so after came to have know Yahuweh, I continued to work on the Sabbath, because I was unable to find a job that would allow me to take off, I was going to school full time, and paying for it myself, so most of my time was working on the weekends, which unfortunately included the Sabbath. I really didn't not enjoy it, but I didn't have much of a choice, I took most the free time I had on my other days and devoted that to studying and coming to know Yahuweh, and now that I am able I do take the Sabbath as a day of rest, and I am much better for it. To quote Yahushua, the Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath. It is of great benefit for us to keep the Sabbath, but if you are unable to you are unable to, and there is a difference between unable and unwilling. It is vastly more important to Yahuweh that you understand his Sabbath than that you practice if 'religiously'. The Sabbath for me has become quite the blessing, where I take the day and spend it with my wife, and usually a good part of it in Yahuweh's word. I feel rejuvenated and ready for a new week after the Sabbath.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline RidesWithYah  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 12:34:13 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Quote:
It is vastly more important to Yahuweh that you understand his Sabbath than that you practice if 'religiously'.

I respectfully disagree. They are equally important.
We all remember what the Messiah said to those who were going through the motions without understanding.

And what our old friend Paul wrote in Romans 2:
Quote:
For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Knowledge is not enough. Even the demons know, and tremble!

Trust.

and DO.

But the advice here is sound, you don't have to leap.
Look for solutions. Give it time.
Yahweh will provide the way.

I don't know the laws there, but you may even be eligible for protection...
Most bosses would gladly trade Saturdays off, for someone willing to work Sundays, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Offline Matthew  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 11:23:10 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
RidesWithYah wrote:
[And what our old friend Paul wrote in Romans 2:

Quote:
For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

The rest of Romans 2 isn't very physical circumcision friendly either:

Quote:
Rom 2:25 Circumcision has value if you observe the law, but if you break the law, you have become as though you had not been circumcised.
Rom 2:26 If those who are not circumcised keep the law's requirements, will they not be regarded as though they were circumcised?
Rom 2:27 The one who is not circumcised physically and yet obeys the law will condemn you who, even though you have the written code and circumcision, are a lawbreaker.
Rom 2:28 A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical.
Rom 2:29 No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man's praise is not from men, but from God.

And then you have James (Jacob) also saying doers of the Torah are justified, but then again in context he's mainly talking about love, because the law is summed up in being doers of love, hence why Yahshua was healing (which is not considered working) on the Sabbath.
Offline Matthew  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:47:04 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
How do you guys understand the story of Naaman, army commander of Aram, in 2 Kings 5? In the story he requests Elisha to ask Yahweh to forgive him when he goes to the temple of Rimmon because Aram holds on to his hand causing him to bow down with Aram. Elisha promptly says "go in peace" in return.