logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:42:08 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I understand that the Iranian President is not the supreme leader in Iran's Mullahacracy, I've been cautiously hopeful that the Iranian people may see the wisdom in electing a president not loudly calling for Israel's destruction while developing nuclear weapons and missiles capable of threatening the region. I suspect that the outcome of that election will dictate whether Israel speeds up plans to raid the Iranian nuclear program or gives a new administration a window to change the collission course the two nations seem set upon currently.

While I've been hearing that the current president is being seriously challenged, I saw the following article which makes me think he might hold on:

http://www.telegraph.co....nejad-as-poll-looms.html
Offline Theophilus  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:29:58 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I read another update on the Iranian presidential campaign, "Ahmadinejad lashes out at rival just before vote." This one seems more hopeful but it still sounds like a close call:

http://www.breitbart.com...Q1LO0&show_article=1

For a sample:

Quote:
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iran's hard-line president is accusing his pro-reform opponent of lying about Iran's economic troubles to sway voters.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad made the allegations during his final rally ahead of Friday's vote. Thousands of supporters waved Iranian flags and chanted slogans against Ahmadinejad's main opponent, Mir Hossein Mousavi.

The race is neck-and-neck and has displayed Iran's deep political divides. Mousavi has hammered Ahmadinejad for letting Iran's economy stumble despite the nation's vast oil and gas reserves.

At Wednesday's rally in western Tehran, Ahmadinejad says he's confident he'll be re-elected despite the huge rallies in support of his opponent.

No campaigning is allowed Thursday on the eve of the vote.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

TEHRAN, Iran (AP)—Persian hip-hop thumps from car speakers and young hipsters—men with spiked hair and women in spike heels—dance in the streets.

It's another night and another campaign rally-turned-party for their unlikely hero: a self-styled reformist from the early years of the Islamic Revolution who is now seen as their best hope to defeat hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

But while Mir Hossein Mousavi generates the noise, passion and electricity in Tehran, Ahmadinejad has the backing of the powerful Islamic establishment and deep support in the countryside, leaving Friday's vote too close to call.

Mousavi would appear to have the momentum, drawing staggering crowds and all-night street bashes. But all that noise, fervor and electricity doesn't necessarily add up to a juggernaut, with critical stakes at play, including possible talks with Washington after a nearly three-decade diplomatic estrangement.

The post-midnight raves in Tehran's leafy suburbs are uncorking passions that seem to have caught even Mousavi by surprise. He stood in awe Monday at one end of a nearly 12-mile human chain of supporters along one of Tehran's main thoroughfares, linked by green ribbons and banners in the symbolic color of his campaign.

What's left in the final days before the vote is a flat-out political end game that's fundamentally rewritten the rules of Iranian campaigns. This time, the attacks have been nastier, the crowds wilder and the media war more acute than any previous presidential race.

It's partly because of the moment. Iran faces some pivotal decisions, including whether to agree to international demands to suspend its uranium enrichment program, and how to respond to President Barack Obama's call for dialogue.

There's pitched excitement in the reformist camp, which lost the presidency at the end of President Mohammad Khatami's second term in 2005. Its supporters are convinced now that Ahmadinejad is ripe to fall.

Iran's economy is sinking under the twin burdens of widespread mismanagement and double-digit inflation despite vast oil and gas reserves. There's a growing sense that Iranians are tired of the international snubs and denunciations from Ahmadinejad's provocative statements, including questioning the extent of the Holocaust and calling for Israel's destruction.

Offline edStueart  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:41:50 AM(UTC)
edStueart

NewsArticle wrote:
Mousavi would appear to have the momentum, drawing staggering crowds and all-night street bashes.

Charismatic, just about the right age, from Persia...

Hmmmm...
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:48:25 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
edStueart wrote:
Charismatic, just about the right age, from Persia...

Hmmmm...

/me readies the antichrist lablemaker
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Theophilus  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:59:39 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Robskiwarrior wrote:
/me readies the antichrist lablemaker

Persian and the right age for Anti-Messiah? I'd think of Gog first although the current President seems like a better fit to me having the support of the Mullahs. I recall Yada identified Macedonia as the most likely homeland of Anti-Messiah.

Offline kp  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:24:55 AM(UTC)
kp

I'd agree with that assessment, Robski. The Antichrist comes from both Roman and Greek Empire territories---which limits it pretty much to the Balkans and Turkey. Gog, however, comes "from the land of Magog," that is, Scythian territory, which stretched from the Danube, across Turkey and Southern Russia, through the Caucasus region, Northern Iran, and on into India. The Antichrist and Gog, as I read prophecy, must be contemporaries, which tells me they're both alive today. Here's what I was thinking. Wouldn't it be delicious if Gog's (that is the Mahdi's) self proclaimed prophet and forerunner, his Elijah or John the Baptist, was voted out of office in order to make room for him? We all know what happens to tyrants like Amadinejad: they almost never retire peacefully. They either hold on to power or die trying.

kp
Offline Theophilus  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 12:48:12 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

It appears that the current Iranian President will hold onto power from the early stories I encountered. For a different (Messianic / Evangelical take I also checked on Joel Rosenberg's weblog which indicates that the election results matter little but has some interesting insights:

http://flashtrafficblog..../06/12/all-eyes-on-iran/

Quote:
ALL EYES ON IRAN

All eyes are on Iran today. Please be praying for the Iranian people. Humanly speaking, it’s almost impossible for anything good to come out of today’s rigged “elections.”

First, the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and his cabinet of clerics (the “Guardian Council”) have already chosen four presidential contenders. They denied another 450 or so applicants from even being considered. This gives you a little taste of what democracy means in Iran. Thus, Khamenei and the Radical mullahs around him have already chosen four people they want the country to know would be acceptable to them — that is, people who are loyal to the Revolution, will follow the wishes of the Supreme Leader, and will prepare the way of the coming of the Islamic Messiah known as the Twelfth Imam or the Mahdi.

Second, no matter who “wins,” it doesn’t really matter in any practical sense. In Iran’s Sharia-law driven legal system, all authority is vested in the hands of the Supreme Leader. The role of the president in many ways is to be the public face and voice of the Supreme Leader to the nation and the world. For the last four years, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been been that face and voice precisely because Khamenei wanted him to be.

Third, the system really is rigged. Iranians will feel like they are exercising their right to choose their next leader. But Khamenei is pulling strings behind the scenes to engineer the “choosing” of his preferred candidate. The only drama is finding out whom Khamenei wants to be the face and voice of Iran for the next four years, and whether he believes Ahmadinejad has outlived his usefulness.

Fourth, that said, the God of the Bible — the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob — is in control. The Lord God Himself is all sovereign and He ultimately will determine who will run Iran, and will do so for His own purposes. Daniel 2:21 tells us that “He removes kings and establishes kings.” While humanly speaking all seems to be lost in Iran, this isn’t really the case. The truth is that Jesus Christ is drawing millions of Iranians away from Islam to become His followers. As I describe in Inside The Revolution in detail, the Lord is using radio broadcasting, satellite TV technology and the Internet to get the good news of salvation to the Iranian people. Jesus is also appearing to many personally, telling them to, “Come, follow Me” — and they are. Iranian Christian leaders tell me they expect more than 10,000 house churches to be planted in Iran in the next 12 to 18 months because Christianity is growing so fast in that country. And one of the main reasons people are abandoning Islam and becoming followers of Jesus is because of the tyrannical leadership of the country. Starting with the Ayatollah Khomeini, and right up to the present with the Ayatollah Khamenei, such cruel, Radical dictators are causing Iranians to become deeply disillusioned with Islam and eager to search for true peace. They are finding it in the Prince of Peace. So, let us pray earnestly for the Iranian people that no matter who wins, they will choose Jesus Christ, the King of kings and the Lord of lords this year.