logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:34:38 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Swalchy wrote:
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/nation/story/69467.html

Absolutely disgusting, IMHO

The program or doing away with it while the state is in fiscal crisis???
Offline Theophilus  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 5:25:02 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Swalchy wrote:
Doing away with it. People abusing it or not, as removing it would severely hit and cripple those who use it legitimately, it shouldn't even be considered, no matter how much financial crisis the state is in.

Stop paying your State officials so much blasted money, and you might actually have some money left to pay off the debts!
I agree that many people do use the program legitamately, that is are either incapbable of working or are using it as a temporary measure until they are back on their feet, particiularly in this rough economy and they would be hurt by this action at least in the short-term. As you also noted in abuses of the system, others use the social safety net as a hammock, choosing to live off the productive work of their neighbors, so long as the system makes this a comfortable option.

While I'm sure CA state officials salaries are substatial, at least compared to mine, given CA's population, I'd wager that even if all these officials forgo their salaries, this would constititue a symbolic feel good but ultimiately inignificant fraction compared with Calaforina's welfare spending. I understand that CA is constitutionally bound to balance their state budget, which means when tax revenues are down, some programs must be shrunk accordingly. I also understand that CA has taken to having their non-essential government employees take forced time-off without pay. While I'm certain such measures are hard on these workers and their families, I don't know the details of CA's budget situation to say which programs should be shurnk instead.

Given that these are state run programs, I'd imagine if CA did actually abolish their welfare program, the result would be a mirgation of welfare dependant and seeking people moving to states that offer more generous assitance or are on firmer financial footing than CA. As I understand it, CA is suffering in part due to massive spending in better financial years and making their business climate so unappealing that many tax payers and businesses have already opted flee CA and move to lower tax states where there productivity is less punished. Abolishing CA's wellfare program may also result in the foreign huddled masses yearning to be on government assistance seeking a destiniation other than the golden state to settle.

If possible, I'd like to see CA distinguish those in need from those abusing their system and reduce spending accordingly, in addition to seeking other areas to shrink to bring their budget into balance as it is unsustainable as it stands. On a hopeful note, I saw recently that the Governator is now considering introducing a flat tax in order to reverse the trend of business and productive citizens from abandoning CA, which if done wisely, would reverse their dimisnishing tax revenue picture and prevent draconian cuts of any kind in the future.

Offline James  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:07:42 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I'd like to see them put a lifetime limit to welfare. As in you get a total of 3yrs(negotiable, but around this area) of welfare in your life, exempting those that are physically or otherwise disabled.

I'm not a huge proponent of welfare to begin with, I understand the need occasionally, but with out a doubt the vast majority of people on welfare, abuse the system, and the system is set up to be abused. We got a long just fine for most of our existence with out government mandated, let alone government run welfare. IMHO the less government does, in this area and others, the better. Welfare to me is best left to individuals, e.g. charities, communities, and families. People take care of people a lot better than governments do. The more we start relying on government the more power they have over us. This is discussed very well in the new book Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Theophilus  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:37:27 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

James wrote:
I'd like to see them put a lifetime limit to welfare. As in you get a total of 3yrs(negotiable, but around this area) of welfare in your life, exempting those that are physically or otherwise disabled.

I'm not a huge proponent of welfare to begin with, I understand the need occasionally, but with out a doubt the vast majority of people on welfare, abuse the system, and the system is set up to be abused. We got a long just fine for most of our existence with out government mandated, let alone government run welfare. IMHO the less government does, in this area and others, the better. Welfare to me is best left to individuals, e.g. charities, communities, and families. People take care of people a lot better than governments do. The more we start relying on government the more power they have over us. This is discussed very well in the new book Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin.

I'm guessing that you're referring to Liberty and Tyranny's chapter six - "On the Welfare State"? I wrote in part on the stats cited in chapter eight - "On Immigration" as I had presumed that immigrants to the US came here for work opportunities not for state assistance and was surprised to see to the degree that the data indicates otherwise.

So what did you think of the book? I'm guessing the most significant if not controversial portion was chapter seven - "On Enviro-Statism".

Regarding private v public charity and assitance, I understand that the US has spent about $6.5 trillion in poverty programs since LBJ's "Great Society" programs were instituited in 1965. As you suggest, the rate of poverty reduction was greater in the US before 1965 the since due to the factors you mention.

I'm uncertain that a lifetime limit for assistance would be ideal or if other measure to ensure that able bodied people have an incentive not to continuously use assistance? I'm thinking of younger people unemployed due to large scale economic woes who in a later down business cycle find that regaining work more challenging as they approach retirement age.
Offline edStueart  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:01:53 AM(UTC)
edStueart

An earlier governor of California had an economic model that worked: Reduce Tax Rate to Increase Profits yielding plenty of tax revenues for the people on the dole who won't/can't work.

It was called "Reaganonmics".
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline James  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:16:34 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Theophilus wrote:
So what did you think of the book? I'm guessing the most significant if not controversial portion was chapter seven - "On Enviro-Statism".

Regarding private v public charity and assitance, I understand that the US has spent about $6.5 trillion in poverty programs since LBJ's "Great Society" programs were instituited in 1965. As you suggest, the rate of poverty reduction was greater in the US before 1965 the since due to the factors you mention.

I'm uncertain that a lifetime limit for assistance would be ideal or if other measure to ensure that able bodied people have an incentive not to continuously use assistance? I'm thinking of younger people unemployed due to large scale economic woes who in a later down business cycle find that regaining work more challenging as they approach retirement age.

I thought the book was a great read, finished in about 2 days. The enviro-stateism chapter was one of the best, I also enjoyed the chapter on Faith and the Founding.

If you go back and look at the stated involvement in things, at least in America, you see that anything they get there hands on goes down. Take education for example, from the time test scores where began being kept, all the way to 1980, SAT/ACT and other such test scores consistently rose. since 1980 it has with a few exceptions, where they changed standards, decreased each year. What happened in 1980, that was the year the department of education, which was past in 1978, became operational. Coincidence?

Even something like No Child Left Behind which was well intended, but has been ultimately a negative. The problem being, when you set a bar, you will strive for the bar, and nothing more. So we have teachers teaching to the test, and nothing beyond.

I know I know this is a bit of a tangent. But on a final thing, I would recommend the book Liberty and Tyranny to everyone.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline In His Name  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:05:03 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Quote:
America looks to government for daily bread
$1 of every $6 of U.S. income is taxpayer funded check or voucher

Posted: June 08, 2009
9:57 pm Eastern
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

Americans are becoming increasingly dependent upon the government for the money needed to live, according to a recent Bureau of Economic Analysis report showing $1 of every $6 Americans receive as income arrives in the form of a government check or voucher, Jerome Corsi's Red Alert reports.

And this does not include the federal payroll or state spending!! What I want to know is how many taste testers are on payroll?!!?! See post #68
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14