logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matthew  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:45:15 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I know we on the forum often post sections of news articles on the forum, but I was concerned about the limits to which we can do this. Obviously we reference the source as well and don't post the whole article, but does anyone know how far we can push it before we infringe on copyright laws?

I just read an article on CNN regarding Murdoch saying the News websites will/should start charging for content. Check the article here. The super rich just want to get even more super rich.
Offline edStueart  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:35:41 PM(UTC)
edStueart

Check out wiki:

wiki wrote:
Fair use is a doctrine in United States copyright law that allows limited use of copyrighted material without requiring permission from the rights holders, such as use for scholarship or review. It provides for the legal, non-licensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test. The term "fair use" originated in the United States, but has been added to Israeli law as well
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline Icy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2009 10:35:51 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
As long as we don't charge money and we provide a source to the information, we are well within the laws. If anything, we are helping them out by providing traffic to the articles. These places should want people to do what we are doing, especially if they have ads at on their pages and get paid by advertisers based on the traffic (which is ideally what they should do, instead of charging people to read the news).