logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline James  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 8:11:47 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
After our passover meal the other night, my mother in-law brought me a book , on celebrating the feast in a christian way. She suggested that next year I should read it, and we could perform the Haggadah, the way passover is supposed to be done. I have done a little research on the Haggadah, and plan on doing more, but thought I would bringing it up here and see what people here knew of the Haggadah.

From what I have gathered the original came about around the same time as the Talmud, so I already am leary, and is the basis for the Jewish passover seder. It appears to be essentially a scripted meal, where by every thing on the platter has a symbolic meaning which is explained.

This seems like a good teaching tool, except that most people I think will be bored two minutes into it. I'm weary of it however seeing as it was created by a religious Rabbi, and then some chiristian's took and found a christian meaning for the same foods to symbolize.

Personally I'm leaning against doing this. I prefer the way we did it this year, where we had a large meal, with roasted lamb being part of it (not everyone in the family likes it, and I was only able to find a little)and Mats ah. Before dinning we had a reading explaining the significance of the three feast, and describing their fulfillment. Followed by a reading of Psalm 22. Then discussion on it throughout the meal.

So what are everybody's thoughts on this?
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:01:24 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
While I don't know how to answer your post as I don't know what Haggadah is, my wife's non-Orthodox Jewish family have about an hour long routine before being served the meal. It's quite tedious at times, especially because it usually starts late at night and people are tired, but the routine sums up the Israelites Exodus quite nicely. They have many little traditions thrown in, like dipping your pinky into the really sweet wine several times, they also have different foods on a plate representing different things, they sing a few well-known Jewish songs too. I enjoy the evening, even though they don't have Yahshua present, but I wouldn't have a service like this if fellow believers were around. I like the barbecue approach, sitting around a fire having a fun fellowship time.

I must say, during our meal on Wednesday night the silence during the routine was broken when my 2 year old son came up to the table and said, so that everyone could hear, "Daddy, I want to make a poo!" ;)
Offline Juski  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:30:53 AM(UTC)
Juski

Hi James,

Again I dont really know the details of the Haggadah but from my point of view I think its nice to not have loads of rituals. We have certain things that are becoming traditions in our family for each feast which I think are important espicially with young children so they can build memories and associations for each feast but I try to avoid anything too rigid and ritualistic. It can easily become more about the ritual than the relationships if you're not careful.

On the plus side its great your Mother in law is keen to help you explore the feasts so maybe there's some give and take that could be done. show some willing and maybe choose some bits of the haggadah that you think are suitable. Its great that you have family that want to celebrate with you so try not to alienate her by dismissing it too quickly

:)
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:06:45 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Matthew wrote:
my wife's non-Orthodox Jewish family have about an hour long routine before being served the meal. It's quite tedious at times, especially because it usually starts late at night and people are tired, but the routine sums up the Israelites Exodus quite nicely. They have many little traditions thrown in, like dipping your pinky into the really sweet wine several times, they also have different foods on a plate representing different things,

That seems to be pretty similar to this, only given christian overtones as well as the exodus.

Matthew wrote:
I must say, during our meal on Wednesday night the silence during the routine was broken when my 2 year old son came up to the table and said, so that everyone could hear, "Daddy, I want to make a poo!" ;)

Kids say the darnedest things.

Juski wrote:
Again I dont really know the details of the Haggadah but from my point of view I think its nice to not have loads of rituals. We have certain things that are becoming traditions in our family for each feast which I think are important espicially with young children so they can build memories and associations for each feast but I try to avoid anything too rigid and ritualistic. It can easily become more about the ritual than the relationships if you're not careful.

On the plus side its great your Mother in law is keen to help you explore the feasts so maybe there's some give and take that could be done. show some willing and maybe choose some bits of the haggadah that you think are suitable. Its great that you have family that want to celebrate with you so try not to alienate her by dismissing it too quickly

That was about how I felt about Juski. I don't want the passover to get loaded down with ritual, but at the same time the symbolism of the meal and the haggadah seems like a good teaching tool.

This year she had mentioned it some before, and I didn't have the time to look into completely, but I did incorporate a few things from it in, to make her feel included, and I thought that they seemed pretty in line with what I was doing, but I don;'t like the idea of a scripted meal.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline dodi  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:05:59 AM(UTC)
dodi
Woman

We used the Haggadah this year but we also incorporated a lot about Yahshua in it. Here is a site that offers a Haggadah that they claim it was how Passover was done during the time of Yahshua hRabah Haggadah and here you can open it by PDF. It seems to be shorter then the "normal" Haggadah.