logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BiynaYahu  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:11:16 PM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

I am very broke. I really can't emphasize that enough. So, I need to know what everyone in here would consider the best single book, or at best absolute minimum set to really start studying for myself. I thank you all in advance!
Someone who does not dearly love or welcome, entertain, look fondly upon or cherish people with strong affection or highly esteem them with great favour, goodwill or benevolence, be loyal to or greatly adore them has not known or understood, perceived or realized, noticed or discerned, discovered or observed, experienced or ascertained, learned about or distinguished, comprehended, acknowledged or recognized God*, for concerning this, God* is and exists as brotherly love and affection, good will, esteem and benevolence.
Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 11:36:57 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
TOM, FH and YY (and POD) ;)

I'm really starting understand why David loved the Law so much, because there is wisdom and knowledge in it. I've lately been realising that with a good knowledge of the Law is helps one to understand better what's happening in this world. FH is also really good in that it helps to understand what's going on with Man and the way in which he is heading. And YY is self explanatory, it covers subjects that really makes clear the Word, gosh it's good to understand Genesis for one, people can't beat me under the bush so easily when it comes to the creation-evolution debate, plus we get to really understand who Yahushua is and what Yahuweh has done for us!

I was considering to put these books into a format (like commentary notes or something) that I could use in a software program, like e-sword for example, but I'm clueless when it comes to software.

But you guys knew all that didn't you?! ;)

I think we need a thread discussing biblical software as there are numerous free programs, where one can download many Scripture versions, commentaries, dictionaries, etc. etc. Some paid for programs aren't that expensive but do offer a lot.

But what I think is needed is we need to be able to figure out this stuff for ourselves, we need to understand the metaphors used and how to expand words to their correct and full meanings. In this way when reading the Scriptures we'll be able to figure out what Yahweh was saying. So we got to ask KP and Yada their methodology, and I think they'll answer somewhere along the lines of "walk with Yah and literally climb into the depths of His Scripture with what tools you have available, never forgetting the Plan of God!"
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:48:56 AM(UTC)
kp

The most basic and universal tool is Strongs's, BinyaYahu. Since some functions of that are available free online (as in E-sword), I'd say the next most valuable tool in my "cheap" arsenal is Naves Topical Bible. Essential for looking up things by subject. By the way, I still use my hardcover Strongs all the time. It's invaluable for when you're trying to find a verse or passage you kind of remember, but don't recall precisely where it is. Of course, it "helps" to have this stuff in your head as King James quotes, 'cause that's what Strong's is keyed to. The only advantage to have been born in the 40's, I guess :-) Both Strong's and Naves have been in print so long, they're dirt cheap. They were my primary study tools for thirty years, until all this neat software came of age.

kp
Offline BiynaYahu  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:23:46 AM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

Swalchy wrote:
The best thing you could hope for is E-Sword.

There's also The Sword Project, but I for one have never been able to get used to it.

I found that e-sword won't run in Wine. If you don't know what that is it's a program that basically translated the commands from a windows program into linux commands, and is only partially successful. Meaning some programs actually run faster than on Windows because Linux is faster, but some won't run properly. As for The Sword Project; It has a linux version called GnomeSword. There is a version for the other popular desktop environment too. But like you I found it hard to get used to, and I also disliked the translations that you can download. Although admittedly their are more for free (all of them) than the 15 with e-sword. I really don't understand why those with the knowledge think it's okay to charge for their expertise. Freely you received, and freely you give. Thanks everyone.

And as SGF would say, "You are all so great!"

Praise Yahuweh!!
Someone who does not dearly love or welcome, entertain, look fondly upon or cherish people with strong affection or highly esteem them with great favour, goodwill or benevolence, be loyal to or greatly adore them has not known or understood, perceived or realized, noticed or discerned, discovered or observed, experienced or ascertained, learned about or distinguished, comprehended, acknowledged or recognized God*, for concerning this, God* is and exists as brotherly love and affection, good will, esteem and benevolence.
Offline BiynaYahu  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:16:08 AM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

kp wrote:
it "helps" to have this stuff in your head as King James quotes

Unfortunately I'm very poor at getting scriptural quotes into my head at all. I really have a terrible memory, and am truly a master of gists. I understand concepts in the word very easily, and I speak as if I've been studying scripture my whole life. Even though it has really only been like two or three years. I'm sure after a few more years that will change. Really I would love to be able to memorize all of scripture in their original languages so that I can "translate" on the fly. Hopefully when I meet a woman she will have a photographic memory. So that when we speak about our dad we can truly complement each other. i.e., ( I can never remember what that stands for. I know it means for example, but in Latin) I start going into deep discussions on various topics like, say, dad's plural nature, and as I'm progressing she stops me with a hand on the shoulder, and says, "Really this is all shown in these three chapter's in YeshaYahu." Then begins to recite those three chapters. I know I have a wild imagination. Anyway I think I'm done babbling. So, thank you all again for your info.

Oh, and Matt. I am still reading Yada Yahweh, but although I trust Yada to not lie to us, and believe his message to be inspired. I feel as though it's a mistake to rely too heavily on his writings, and I would really like to critically examine it so I can help him to improve it. I mean eventually I think it would be great if we could help to re-translate all of scripture, and use YY as an accompaniment.