logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matthew  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:24:00 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The other day I was wondering how the gifts of the Spirit, especially these specific ones, relate to the Torah but I didn't go out to search on it. But when I took my copy of TOM to the coffee shop today I came across these two passages. I think Yah was answering my thoughts without me trying to figure it out ;):

Quote:
(780) The Levites shall serve the congregation and do the work of the Tabernacle. “And Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying: ‘Bring the tribe of Levi near, and present them before Aaron the priest, that they may serve him. And they shall attend to his needs and the needs of the whole congregation before the tabernacle of meeting, to do the work of the tabernacle. Also they shall attend to all the furnishings of the tabernacle of meeting, and to the needs of the children of Israel, to do the work of the tabernacle. And you shall give the Levites to Aaron and his sons; they are given entirely to him from among the children of Israel. So you shall appoint Aaron and his sons, and they shall attend to their priesthood; but the outsider who comes near shall be put to death.’” (Numbers 3:5-10) Yahweh’s metaphors work on various levels. They aren’t always restricted to precisely the same meaning, and you can’t extrapolate their lessons with impunity. For example, within His symbolic hierarchy of Israel, Yahweh often draws distinctions between one group and another to illustrate some point. So we see that the priesthood (as a group within Israel) normally represents believers in the sense that they—as sons of the High Priest—intercede between God and man. But that doesn’t mean that people outside the priesthood necessarily symbolize non-believers. We must take each example in its own context and on its own terms.

There are other places (as in the precepts rounding out this chapter) where the line of demarcation is drawn at the tribal level: the Levites are seen in the role of believers, leaving non-Levites, “outsiders” who usurp their God-ordained place (as Korah tried to do in Numbers 16), dead where they stand. In still other places, the whole nation of Israel is pictured as being set apart to Yahweh, leaving the world outside to play the role of strangers to God. But remember, these are all only pictures, symbols, or parables designed to teach us about the nature of Yahweh’s plan of redemption. The reality is that anyone, at any time, no matter where his family tree is planted, may become a child of God. The portrayal of the redeemed as priests, Levites, or Israelites merely teaches us different lessons about how we believers are to function within the Kingdom of God. Please don’t confuse God’s symbols with the truths they represent.

Here, then, we see how the Levites, as believers, are to function. Note first that they are “given” to Aaron (who represents the Messiah) to help with the work of the ministry. So who are the ordinary priests in this context? Paul tells us: “He Himself [Yahshua] gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ till we all come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God.” (Ephesians 4:11-13) The priests in this metaphor, then, are the apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers, and their job is to equip the saints (a.k.a. the Levites) to minister. But minister to whom? To the world at large or to the household of faith? It may come as something of a surprise, but both passages speak of ministering only to other believers, not necessarily to the world. Paul speaks of “edifying (building up) the body of Christ, that is, the ekklesia or Church. He tells us in this passage to grow up, leave our old corrupt conduct behind, live in truth, understanding, honesty, industry and forgiveness, and “be kind to one another.” Moses, meanwhile, says the Levites are to (1) attend to Aaron’s (read: Yahshua’s) needs; (2) attend to the needs of the whole congregation of Israel—which is by definition set apart to Yahweh; (3) do the work of the Tabernacle by attending to its furnishings (that is, the Plan of God—something we’ll address in more detail as we proceed); and (4) attend to the needs of the priesthood—the apostles, prophets, pastors, and teachers of which Paul wrote.

Does this mean believers shouldn’t participate in “worthy causes” such as soup kitchens, drug rehab clinics, and AIDS relief efforts? Believe it or not, if your only aim is to feed the homeless, get junkies off drugs, and relieve the suffering people have brought upon themselves through their sin, then yes, that’s exactly what it means. Don’t waste your time. If, however, your aim in doing these things is to demonstrate the love of God to people who desperately need Him—if your modus operandi is to fulfill the Great Commission by showing compassion to those who need it most, then by all means, proceed. My point is that if you give people food or medicine, you’ve extended their lives for a day. But if you give them God’s salvation, you’ve extended their lives for eternity. Call me heartless, but charity without Christ is a cruel joke, a leaky life raft. Our primary instructions as believers are to attend to the needs of other believers. “A new commandment I [Yahshua] give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-35)

Quote:
(785) The priests shall encamp nearest the entrance to the Tabernacle courtyard. “Moreover those who were to camp before the tabernacle on the east, before the tabernacle of meeting, were Moses, Aaron, and his sons, keeping charge of the sanctuary, to meet the needs of the children of Israel; but the outsider who came near was to be put to death.” (Numbers 3:38) Continuing and refining the thought of the previous precept, we see that the family within the tribe of Levi who were to camp immediately outside the entrance to the Tabernacle, on the east side of the courtyard, were the priests (including Moses). That is, among believers in general tasked with conducting the world’s seekers to God’s “way, truth, and life,” the “apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers” whom Yahweh gave to the saints to “equip them for the work of the ministry” (as we saw in Ephesians 4—Precept #780) were to be the gatekeepers of the Plan of God. The priests were appointed—and anointed—for this very responsibility: “keeping charge of the Sanctuary, to meet the needs of the children of Israel.”

Unfortunately, being seen as God’s gatekeepers has for some brought with it the lure of personal enrichment—the satisfaction of a lust for power or prestige, or even (strangely enough) wealth. So self-appointed “priests” of various stripes have, through the years, placed themselves in this role—granting (or so it was claimed) access to “god” on the basis of religious tradition or personal determination instead of the Word of Yahweh. These false priests positioned themselves in between their “Levites” (the laity they were supposed to be equipping) and the Tabernacle of Truth—blocking admission to any soul who didn’t submit to their vision. I’m not singling out any one religion here, but chastising all of them: Catholic priests and Protestant clergy, Jewish rabbis and Muslim imams, Buddhist bodhisattvas and Hindu gurus, Communo-fascist dictators, secular-humanist philosophers and technocrats, and a hundred other permutations of this evil. If they aren’t guiding seekers to Yahweh through Yahshua the Messiah—if they’re promoting some alternative solution to man’s hunger for truth, righteousness, and personal fulfillment—then they’re not true “priests.” Remember Yahweh’s order: His priests were not recruited—they were born to the position and anointed for the task. They weren’t merely zealous Israelites; they were sons of Aaron. The priesthood was not a station to be attained; it was a calling to be answered. We dare not ignore the warning to those tempted to usurp the assigned role of Yahweh’s priests: “the outsider who came near was to be put to death.”

Some churches today have made a big thing (a lot of money too) out of the "five-fold ministry" surrounding these gifts, especially the Apostolic Reformation Movement. Are we supposed to place a lot of attention on the gifts as some churches do, they make a big thing about one's "calling," as if one should really pursue one's gifts? My take on it is that we shouldn't stress over it but rather grow naturally in God and as we grow we'll find where we naturally fit in. Some churches even hand out questionnaires so you can figure out your gifts.

PS: I'm really enjoying this volume of TOM! These passages just illustrate once again how the Renewed Covenant is based upon and always spoken of in context of the Torah and Prophets.

Edited by user Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:25:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: If you really want to know: substituted the word about for the word how in the 1st sentence.

Offline StuDent  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:55:44 AM(UTC)
StuDent
Man

Thank you for sharing this Matthew.I haven't yet read TOM.I find myself going back and reading chapters of YY over and over again.I've only just begun reading TOM, but have seen many references from it and this one is a jewel.
Your dedication to learning the Way and the sharing you do here is both helpful and inspiring.May the Set-apart Spirit continue to bless you and guide you in your study.

Quote:
“A new commandment I [Yahshua] give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-35)

This verse hit me like a slap on the back of my head as I realize I don't share enough with you brothers and sisters here who are helping me along the way wether you know it or not.I love you all.

"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he"
Offline Icy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:09:56 PM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Matthew wrote:
Some churches even hand out questionnaires so you can figure out your gifts.

I actually did one of these things, it was rather in depth, as it took several weeks to do and it also relied on others answering questions about me, too, so that I would have a comprehensive review from different angles to figure out what my gifts were. They were (in order) Faith, Wisdom, and Knowledge. Oddly, no one in that church chose to make use of my gifts, especially when I started to share them. I'm sure you guys know why.
Offline sirgodfrey  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:58:13 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

I read that the gift of prophecy has ceased. Prophecy, specifically, the fore-telling of events. I know that the Scripture itself is prophetic but... I am a "dreamer" for lack of a better term, and events transpire just like in the dream. It is really weird. But maybe I'm wrong, and I'm just being dumb.