logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sirgodfrey  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:16:26 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

I am in great need of some websites, books or ANYTHING that can provide very in-depth information concerning the background of each book of scripture. Of course this information is of the utmost importance when thoroughly investigating scripture, but I do not have such material. There are bibles with a little introduction piece before some books, but I'm looking for something that is much more involved (for lack of a better word). PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone has information regarding the aforementioned, please forward it to a seeking brother. Thank you so much in advance. Much love in Yahuweh.

May Yah continue to bless and keep each one of you, and may you continue to diligently seek Him, learn of Him, and love Him above all else. Shalom.
Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:03:00 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You know what Sir Godfrey? I've had the exact same conviction these past few weeks, it will help in this quest for knowledge and wisdom and understanding.

Yada asked the same question in the thread The Big Picture, under the History of Scripture section, last month. Check it out:

Yada wrote:
I would very much like to find a book that gives a good `history` of Scripture. When the books were written (and by whom), their historical context, how they were preserved and distributed, where the various manuscripts reside now, etc.?

Can anyone suggest something?

So far no one has answered his question. It would be interesting to see if anyone knows of a good and relaible resource that provides introduction to the books.
Offline Matthew  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2009 2:13:05 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Swalchy wrote:
Perhaps Matt and SGF could do a nice little search for us :D

Well in the Dead Sea Scrolls I notice they have posted their introductions to the chapters online at http://browseinside.harp...px?isbn13=9780060600648, but the intros are regarding the scrolls found, infomration concerning how many were found, which cave they were found in, etc. but the intros don't seem to talk about who's who in zoo, show maps of the areas involved, etc. Plus I'm not sure if they provide an intro to every book on the link. But the link is interesting.
Offline sirgodfrey  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:34:33 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

man, i just don't know where people get the information from when they say... at the time, this was going on and this is why Paul (Shaul) or whomever wrote this. example: the corinthians and the women cutting their hair short like the prostitutes were doing at the time thus paul saying something about hair ... that is really paraphrasing, but i noticed it in a thread a few weeks back.

just really would like to know the historical background of the accounts... my understanding would infinitely be multiplied (it seems). im noticing more and more and more, people taking scripture out of context. i know this is prevalant today, but it is just ridiculous. and its not necessarily because they are meaning to do it -- they are just ignorant of what it is actually saying when taking the history and context into consideration.
Offline kp  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:44:07 AM(UTC)
kp

You may want to try Barnes' Notes, sirgodfrey. They're readily available, and they've been around for a while, so they shouldn't be too expensive (I use a software version that's part of Quickverse). These volumes may provide the historical background you're looking for. If I'm not mistaken, Yada uses these extensively.

kp
Offline Matthew  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:52:36 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

kp wrote:
You may want to try Barnes' Notes, sirgodfrey. They're readily available, and they've been around for a while, so they shouldn't be too expensive (I use a software version that's part of Quickverse). These volumes may provide the historical background you're looking for. If I'm not mistaken, Yada uses these extensively.

kp

Great, thanks kp!

E-sword, http://www.e-sword.net/commentaries.html, seem to have it for download. I'll download it when I'm at home and check it out.
Offline sirgodfrey  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:11:40 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

kp thank you tons and tons! gracious. how many ways can i say thank you? apparently only two. but both are full of sincerity.

THANK YOU
Offline In His Name  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:55:28 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
sirgodfrey wrote:
apparently only two.

LOL, SGF you are hilarious, Thanks for the laugh!
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline sirgodfrey  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:02:34 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

:) :) :) :) :)

all smiles right now.