logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 3:41:40 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Interesting indeed. I'd imagine the influence of the French Revolution has some impact on how many French regard the church and with that the bible.

Did you notice that Poland ranked #1 in the survey for weekly service attendeance ahead of #2 USA? Conversly, I'd imagine Poland's national identity is somewhat more positively tied to their affiliation with the Catholic church. That was quiet apparent to me in the last decade plus of the cold war.
Offline Joseph  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 7:55:04 PM(UTC)
Joseph
Man

My (big) family was raised Catholic. My two sisters remain catholic, one of which I am convinced has a sincere and vibrant faith. She shared a story with me a couple of months ago: she attended a multifaith Bible study headed by her priest. He began the session by asking who had brought their Bibles with them. About half of the 20+ in attendance raised their hands, whereupon the priest quipped, "Well now we know who which of us are the Protestants!"
Offline Matthew  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2008 3:32:17 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Joseph wrote:
My (big) family was raised Catholic. My two sisters remain catholic, one of which I am convinced has a sincere and vibrant faith. She shared a story with me a couple of months ago: she attended a multifaith Bible study headed by her priest. He began the session by asking who had brought their Bibles with them. About half of the 20+ in attendance raised their hands, whereupon the priest quipped, "Well now we know who which of us are the Protestants!"

Quite amazing how the Catholic Church believes it's better if their flock don't know the Scriptures! The blinder their followers are the better for them and their pockets!
Offline Walt  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 6:50:23 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

My question is:
How much of that Bible literacy, in America, is understood or acted upon correctly?

Being literate, but understanding it wrongly, has no merit.
I would even say it's better to be illiterate than to understand it incorrectly - you don't have to unlearn the incorrect understanding that is accepted as Truth.

If someone understands correctly in their literacy, but fails to act - or acts incorrectly, what has that knowledge accomplished?
If you give someone a loaded gun and tell them to go hunt up some some food - and they proceed to use the gun like a hammer on a rock to try to make an arrowhead in order to have a weapon to hunt with - what was accomplished giving them the gun?
Offline BiynaYahu  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:18:31 AM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

Walt wrote:
If you give someone a loaded gun and tell them to go hunt up some some food - and they proceed to use the gun like a hammer on a rock to try to make an arrowhead in order to have a weapon to hunt with - what was accomplished giving them the gun?

You would probably end up with a bloody hole.
Someone who does not dearly love or welcome, entertain, look fondly upon or cherish people with strong affection or highly esteem them with great favour, goodwill or benevolence, be loyal to or greatly adore them has not known or understood, perceived or realized, noticed or discerned, discovered or observed, experienced or ascertained, learned about or distinguished, comprehended, acknowledged or recognized God*, for concerning this, God* is and exists as brotherly love and affection, good will, esteem and benevolence.
Offline Walt  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 11:56:41 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

BiynaYahu wrote:
You would probably end up with a bloody hole.

Isn't that what christian churches are filled with?
Some self inflicted, some from "friendly fire".
Offline Matthew  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 12:18:54 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
One good thing about America being the most bible-literate is I think many will realise what the Rapture actually is rather than believing the lie the media will blast across TV screens. Americans, not sure what percentage though, would've heard about the theory of the Rapture before so when it happens and they miss it they'll at least know where to look for answers. However, countries such as "Spaniards, French and Italians" will most likely fall for the deceptions played by the Antichrist.

I'm reminded of Isaiah 18:7 "In that time a present shall be brought to Yahweh of hosts from a people tall and smooth-skinned, and from a people awesome from their beginning onward – a nation mighty and trampling, whose land the rivers have divided – to the place of the Name of Yahweh of hosts, to Mount Tsiyon."
Offline kp  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 4:04:25 AM(UTC)
kp

Right you are, Matthew. And it gets even more evident when you realize that the two "froms" in Isaiah 18:7 aren't really there. It should read: "In that time a present shall be brought to Yahweh of hosts: a people tall and smooth-skinned, and a people awesome from their beginning onward – a nation mighty and trampling, whose land the rivers have divided – to the place of the Name of Yahweh of hosts, to Mount Tsiyon." Americans won't just send a gift to Yahweh in the Millennium---they'll be the gift.

kp
Offline bitnet  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 9:26:49 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

I'd very much like to believe that Scripture-literate people shall be the gift. As it is, many bible-believers do not really believe what the Good Book says, and just believe that it has contains truth. Far too few actually want to learn what it is about as they are afraid that they shall have to change their lives. It is the same with the business that I am in: I try to share information with people on how to live healthier lives, but many do not want to listen as it would entail some effort on their part and a change in certain habits. So I have learnt that if something so basic and physical cannot be changed because it needs a change mentally, then converting the spirit into believing something so powerful as The Word is indeed a challenge worthy only of the Creator. No wonder He says that only He can draw people to Him. We are merely conduits in the passage of information, and examples of His love and power by the way we live, American or not.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline In His Name  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2009 6:00:56 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hold on there Baba Louie... (oops just aged myself, youngsters can google Quickdraw McGraw)

Quote:
SPORTSNETDAILY
Florida QB makes 'John 3:16' hottest Google search
Tebow inscribed Bible reference on eye black for championship game
Posted: January 09, 2009
11:35 am Eastern

© 2009 WorldNetDaily

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow blazes New Testament verse of John 3:16 on his face last night after he led the Gators to the BCS National Championship
"John 3:16" has appeared in various forms at nationally televised sporting events over the years, but after University of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow inscribed it on his eye black for last night's BCS National Championship game, the biblical reference became the most popular search item on Google.com.
UserPostedImage

If Americans are so bible literate, how come so many had to look up John 3:16 and why didn't they look in their bible instead of google??? And if we ARE the most bible literate what does that say for Europe???
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Theophilus  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2009 6:12:35 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Thanks for sharing that IHN. To answer your question, I suspect that those Americans that recognized John 3:16 didn't have to look up the verse either in Scripture or Google. I'd guess that Americans who didn't know the verse didn't know where to find it so would need to use Google to solve the mystery of the code. As for Europe the proportion of the population that recognizes the verse as Scripture is likely smaller than that in the States.
Offline bitnet  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2009 9:38:06 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

I suspect that the Americans only know of Stone Cold Steve Austin's 3:16 and Rey Mysterio's 3-1-6. "John 3:16? Is that another wrestling move?"
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.