logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline edStueart  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 4:13:07 AM(UTC)
edStueart

While at The Garden Tomb, in Jerusalem, we picked up "Celebrate the Feasts of the Lord", by William W. Francis. (ISBN: 0-9657601-2-X)

It discusses the Christian Heritage of the sacred Jewish festivals.

There will not be any new information in this book for YY readers, but it does provide a "non-Winn-ian" source of information that is published in YY, TOM, FH, and, umm, what was that other source? Oh, yeah, the Torah!

I was surprised that a book written by a "Sallie" mentions the use of wine in the feasts without condemning it! (Though the author does say that grape juice is an acceptable substitute. I suspect this is included to keep William Booth from turning too loudly in his grave.)

It might be a good "gateway" book for those still in the clutches of churchianity.
UserPostedImage

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 4:52:16 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
yes Ed - we have a book like this that we got along time ago - its called "A family guide to the Biblical Holidays" by Robin Sampson and Linda Pierce Its good, unfortunatly she swings a little too far towards the "jewish/messianic" traditions and includes Hanukkah and Purim, although she recognises these as non-biblical.

She also misses the importance of His Name, giving a typical Christian responce "He knows what I mean". No effort required.

Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline lassie1865  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:56:46 PM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

Dear Friends,

The Sallies do not condem the drinking of wine, or any other alcoholic beverage; there is no intrinsic evil about it. The Sallies choose to abstain simply because they are so heavily involved with tending individuals who are recovering from too much drink.

Shalom
Lassie1865
Offline edStueart  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:04:36 AM(UTC)
edStueart

lassie1865 wrote:
The Sallies do not condem the drinking of wine, or any other alcoholic beverage; there is no intrinsic evil about it. The Sallies choose to abstain simply because they are so heavily involved with tending individuals who are recovering from too much drink.

Shalom, Lassie!

Nothing wrong with abstinence, especially if you are working with people who have problems with "substances".

As a descendant of several generations of Salvation Army officers and staff (Great-great-grandfather worked for Gen. Booth!), I heard the "condemnation message", loud and clear. This is why I was surprised to see the absence of condemnation of the use of wine in the book.

Toda for clearing up a long-held misconception (35+ years!) for me!

Ed
ed@theTruthOfIslam.com
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!