logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2008 1:37:59 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
July 17, 2008

Christian retailers fight to survive
By Adelle M. Banks

At Skia, a new Christian bookstore in Bentonville, Ark., there are comfortable chairs, racks of apparel, a coffee and smoothie bar, and a full corner dedicated to the building of skateboards. "It takes a little while to put together a skateboard, maybe 15 minutes or so," said store co-owner Bill Beyer. "It gives us an opportunity to talk with the kids and really develop relationships with the kids while we're doing that." Meeting customers where they are has become the mantra of the Christian retail industry as its stores face stiff competition from big-box stores and online retailers. With more stores closing than opening each year, some industry layoffs and a key publisher staying away from this week's annual International Christian Retail Show, retailers and publishers are finding that innovation is a key to thriving in the current business climate.

source
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:54:20 AM(UTC)
kp

I'm not surprised Christian retailers are struggling. But it's easy to see why. Have you looked at what they stock on their shelves these days? It's pablum, for the most part---either that or pure drivel. There's no meat. It's mostly light Christian fiction, pop psychology, and feel-good ear-tickling gibberish. Little or no prophecy, theology, reference tools, science, history, biography or anything else that might help a struggling Christian to grow. Back when I was a young man in California (I know I'm starting to sound like my father) there were real Christian bookstores, where you could pick up titles by real thinkers and scholars, guys like Lewis, Edersheim, Ryrie, Schaffer, Pentecost and scores of others, along with enough reference works and commentaries to fill a library. It was heaven. I could never get out of there without spending a third of my paycheck on books.

My son Josh now has a part time job at a "Family Christian" store in Charlottesville. All they sell is religious trinkets, CDs, and a few thin, light books. It's pitiful. There's no longer any temptation to blow the budget on reading material. No wonder believers are 98-pound spiritual weaklings these days. I lay the fault for the dearth of meaningful Christian literature squarely at the feet of the publishers, whose eye is on the bottom line, not the spiritual needs of their brothers. Thank God for the Internet.

kp