logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#101 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:06:08 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"We face our share of problems in the Episcopal Church, but wholesale defections to a movement committed to denying gay and lesbian Christians the birthright of their baptism is not one of them. "

--Episcopal Bishop John Bryson Chane of Washington, writing a letter to clergy and congregations of the diocese about conservatives’ proposal of a new Anglican province last week (Dec. 3).
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Yada  
#102 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2008 7:38:21 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Friday, December 12, 2008

"I was stunned when I heard it. I was momentarily speechless, and for me, that's quite a feat. "

--Richard Land, president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, describing his reaction to comments made by the Rev. Richard Cizik, the top Washington lobbyist for the National Association of Evangelicals, who said he supported same-sex civil unions. Cizik resigned on Thursday.
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Yada  
#103 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2008 12:33:00 AM(UTC)
Yada

From an article published by TIME magazine entitled: `Einstein & Faith.`

Quote:
You accept the historical existence of Jesus? "Unquestionably! No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life."

The next question put to Einstein:

Quote:
Do you believe in God? "I'm not an atheist. I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws."

You can read the full article here.
Offline Yada  
#104 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 5:08:21 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Friday, December 19, 2008

"At this stage in my life, I am a loser. "

--Former evangelical leader Ted Haggard talking about his new life as an unsuccessful insurance salesman in a forthcoming documentary. Haggard’s remarks were quoted by The Associated Press.
Offline Yada  
#105 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 5:10:53 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"For me as a Jew, hearing the name of a first-century rabbi isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's not my God. "

--Rabbi Burt Visotzky talking to The Associated Press (Dec. 31) about pastors praying in Jesus' name during presidential inauguration ceremonies.
Offline Yada  
#106 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2009 12:33:31 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Thursday, January 08, 2009

"For the most part, people and the media have been very sympathetic and respectful, but there are those certain ones that want to use this horrible tragedy as an opportunity to once again, blame and/or attack Scientology. "

--Lisa Marie Presley, commenting on her blog about Scientology critics she believes are using the death of Jett Travolta, the 16-year-old son of actor John Travolta, to criticize the religious group. The daughter of Elvis Presley was quoted by the New York Daily News.
Offline Yada  
#107 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:23:33 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Friday, January 09, 2009

"Being a Christian, I'm pretty well protected by God. That's not saying he's going to stop a mortar for me, but you gotta take the chance. "

--Joe “The Plumber” Wurzelbacher, telling WNWO-TV in Toledo, Ohio, about his plans to report from the Middle East for a conservative Christian Web site, http://www.pjtv.com. He was quoted by The Washington Post.
Offline Yada  
#108 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:18:22 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
"The Democratic Party can take credit, but the Democrats didn't do it. God did it. God was in the plan. Nobody else could have gotten these white folks to vote for a Negro named Barack Obama. "

--The Rev. Joseph Lowery, the civil rights activist chosen by President-elect Barack Obama to give the inaugural benediction, speaking about white Southern voters. He was quoted by The Washington Post.
Offline Yada  
#109 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 5:06:07 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Thursday, January 15, 2009

"The vituperation propagated in the Catholic blogging world is remarkable for its reach and speed. "

--Douglas Kmiec, a prominent Catholic legal scholar who backed President-elect Barack Obama during the campaign, writing in the Catholic journal Commonweal about reaction to his endorsement of Obama.
Offline Yada  
#110 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 4:57:27 AM(UTC)
Yada

From the Religion News Service:

Quote:
Friday, January 16, 2009

"I've often spoken to you about good and evil, and this has made some uncomfortable. But good and evil are present in this world, and between the two of them there can be no compromise. "

--President Bush, in his farewell address to the nation from the White House on Thursday (Jan. 15).

I sent this quote to Yada. This was his response:

Quote:
The Christian Right, especially evangelicals, still believe that GWB is one of them. They will read good and evil in the sense of Scripture. It is why in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, they still support this evil individual.

GWB is nothing more than a religious chameleon, a.k.a., an insincere hypocrite. GWB defines good as those who are loyal to him. He defines bad as those who are against him. In other words, America went from a $250 billion budget surplus to a $1,200 billion deficit during his tenure, from a robust economy to the precipise of a depression, and the nation has squandered a trillion dollars and 6000 lives in two wars in which bad situations were made much worse, because with George Bush, it is all about him.

But, with all of the Messianic themes resonating around BHO, things will get worse. It's a scary thought.

Yada

Edited by user Monday, January 19, 2009 4:28:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Yada  
#111 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:45:30 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"The problems are mighty and the solutions are not simple. ... But you are all fired up, Sir, and you are ready to go. And this nation goes with you. God goes with you. "

--Bishop T.D. Jakes of Dallas preaching at a pre-inauguration worship service attended by President Obama on Tuesday morning.
Offline Yada  
#112 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:52:11 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Regrettably, some very public Baptists have made incredibly outrageous statements that I regard as highly offensive and patently untrue. Those of us here who are Baptists represent far different traditions and practices than the fundamentalist mentality that you have read about or seen portrayed on television. We come to Boston precisely to demonstrate that we are a different breed of Baptists than you have seen. "

--Rob Sellers, professor of missions at Logsdon School of Theology at Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, Texas, speaking at a dialogue between Muslims and Baptists held Jan. 9-11 in Boston. He was quoted by EthicsDaily.com
Offline Yada  
#113 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 4:29:16 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Friday, January 23, 2009

"They're soon going to have to learn that the church is the people, and the people are not going away."

--Alden Hagadorn, a leader of a lay resistance movement against the closing of two New Orleans Catholic churches. Hagadorn and others plan to continue meeting as a Catholic community even though their church was shuttered. He was quoted by The Times-Picayune
Offline Yada  
#114 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 4:33:08 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Friday, January 30, 2009

"One day at a time, sweet Jesus. One day at a time. "

--Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, answering a reporter's question outside his home about how he will manage his financial life after being removed from office after an impeachment trial Thursday (Jan. 29). He was quoted by WBEZ-FM in Chicago.

Quote:
Thursday, January 29, 2009

"'The Simpsons' does not, and never has, endorsed any religion, philosophy or system of beliefs any more profound than Butterfinger bars. "

--Al Jean, executive producer of 'The Simpsons,' in a statement after actress Nancy Cartwright, who provides the voice of Bart Simpson, reportedly sent voice-mail messages using Bart's voice that invited people to a Scientology ceremony.

Quote:
Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"Ours are the facts people may not want to hear, the arguments they evade if they can. Our message confronts them with responsibilities, instead of making them go away. "

--Richard Doerflinger, associate director of the Secretariat for Pro-Life Activities at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, after winning one of the inaugural Life Prizes from the Gerard Health Foundation.
Offline Yada  
#115 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2009 7:05:29 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Monday, February 02, 2009

"Phil is fun, but our faith is in Christ. "

--Bud Dunkel, a retired roofer and past president of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club that organizes Groundhog Day celebrations every Feb. 2. He's also a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). He was quoted by the ELCA's news service.
Offline Yada  
#116 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:40:43 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"There's probably a God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life. "

--A new ad campaign by the United Church of Canada, to counter an atheist ad campaign on buses that says “There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."
Offline Matthew  
#117 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:56:47 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Quote:
"There's probably a God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

KP's one was much better, "God exists. Now stop worrying about yourself and start enjoying your life." This is much better since it pulls the selfishness out of the atheism one.
Offline Yada  
#118 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:07:15 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Thursday, February 12, 2009

"It's not like we're serving up margaritas. You can worship God wherever you're at. "

--Jamie Broadhead, whose husband Kris Broadhead, is the pastor of Mosaic, an emerging church in Birmingham, Ala., that meets in a bar. She was quoted by The Birmingham News.
Offline Yada  
#119 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 3:27:07 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Thursday, March 12, 2009

"When I'm in the pulpit, it's like something turns over me and I just turn into a man of God. And when I'm out of the pulpit, I just turn into a speechless kid. "

--Terry Durham, an 11-year-old ordained minister who preaches almost every Sunday at True Gospel Deliverance Ministry, a nondenominational storefront church in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He was quoted by The New York Times.
Offline sirgodfrey  
#120 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 5:30:04 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

i seriously laughed out loud after youtubing Terry Durham.
Offline Matthew  
#121 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 7:04:36 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

That little guy reminds me of Bishop TD Jakes, has a similar teaching style.
Offline Yada  
#122 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:46:23 AM(UTC)
Yada

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Quote:
"As long as there are Bible-believing people in America, the effort to reform the culture and promote what is just will go on.” "

--Family Research Council President Tony Perkins, responding to New York Times columnist Frank Rich's recent statement that “Culture wars are a luxury the country -- the GOP included -- can no longer afford.
Offline Yada  
#123 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:47:26 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Friday, March 20, 2009

"Politics can get dirty. But usually they just say something about you. But when you come and tell people not to vote for any Muslims, you're talking about an entire group. I was born in this country. I want to be part of this American democratic system. This is very upsetting. "

--Ali Saleh, a Muslim man who was a candidate for the city council in Bell, Calif., responding to fliers that were distributed saying "Vote NO Muslims for the City Bell Council 2009.” Saleh, one of two Lebanese Americans running for the council who lost a recent election, was quoted by the Los Angeles Times.
Offline Yada  
#124 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 5:00:35 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Monday, March 23, 2009

"Try it for 30 days. If you don't like it, we'll give you your misery back. "

--Former National Football League player and coach Danny Abramowicz, encouraging Catholic men at a conference in Syracuse, N.Y., to deepen their faith through prayer, confession and attending daily Mass. He was quoted by The Post-Standard.
Offline Yada  
#125 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:59:27 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Wednesday, April 01, 2009

"This would need to be a Jesus-like resurrection. It cannot be a reincarnation in another object or animal. "

--Margaret Burns, spokeswoman for the Baltimore state's attorney's office, speaking about an unusual plea agreement between the member of a Baltimore cult accused in her son's death and city prosecutors. Under the deal, if the woman's child rises from the dead, charges against Ria Ramkis soon will be dropped. Burns was quoted by the Washington Post(March 31).
Offline sirgodfrey  
#126 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:22:50 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

Quote:

"This would need to be a Jesus-like resurrection. It cannot be a reincarnation in another object or animal. "

this totally made me laugh
Offline Yada  
#127 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:47:04 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Thursday, April 09, 2009

"Let's be honest. Much of the church's knee-jerk response to legalized homosexual marriage smacks of hypocrisy. For decades, local churches in America have winked at, ignored, tolerated and even approved of fornication, adultery and unbiblical divorce among its members. "

--The Rev. Eric Schumacher, pastor of Northbrook Baptist Church in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in a column for Baptist Press urging state lawmakers to approve a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage after the state Supreme Court legalized it.
Offline Matthew  
#128 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:16:26 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

To single out an example would be Fresh Fire Ministries (Lakeland Revival) who are restoring to ministry a guy called Todd Bentley who's currently in an adulterous relationship. He divorced his wife (the wife didn't want it but he wanted to) in order be married to his younger administrator.

Just read the waffle by Rick Joyner found on this link, it's concerning Morning Star Ministries restoring Bentley to ministry: http://www.morningstarmi...ticle.aspx?ID=1000046495 Todd says he wasn't in a physical relationship with the new woman while still married, but they divorced first and then only did he have sexual contact with his new "wife".

Their message is this: "It's OK to divorce and marry another woman, especially if your current marriage is under a lot of stress." Gosh, it's so much easier to jump in bed with another woman to easy the pain???

They must have erased 1 Corinthians 5 from their Bibles:

Quote:
1It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that does not occur even among pagans: A man has his father's wife. 2And you are proud! Shouldn't you rather have been filled with grief and have put out of your fellowship the man who did this? 3Even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. And I have already passed judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present. 4When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.
6Your boasting is not good. Don't you know that a little yeast works through the whole batch of dough? 7Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast—as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. 8Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old yeast, the yeast of malice and wickedness, but with bread without yeast, the bread of sincerity and truth.

What I find most sad is that I used to have so much respect for this movement, and now I'm not really chuffed with it, I can only be thankful that it inspired me to be serious for God and that their message does bring a lot people into belief, though be it errant in many places.

Philippians 1:15-18

Quote:
15It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

I pray that Todd comes to his senses, realises his mistake, and turns from his errant ways. Honest question: can he now return to his first wife?
Offline Yada  
#129 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 8:23:19 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Monday, April 13, 2009

"Jesus is out of the tomb and Sandra is too. She's not in a grave, she's not in a suitcase. She's in heaven and celebrating the best Easter ever."

--Pastor Scott McFarland of Journey Christian Church in Tracy, Calif., where members of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu's family attended Easter services after the girl's body was found April 6 stuffed in a suitcase in an irrigation pond. He was quoted by the Associated Press.
Offline Yada  
#130 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 8:26:02 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Thursday, April 16, 2009

"American public life is neither wholly secular nor wholly religious but an ever-fluid mix of the two. History suggests that trouble tends to come when one of these forces grows too powerful in proportion to the other. "

--Newsweek editor Jon Meacham, writing in an April 13 cover story in his magazine entitled “The End of Christian America.”
Offline Yada  
#131 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 5:29:10 PM(UTC)
Yada

A few more quotes:
Quote:

Friday, April 24, 2009

"There is a huge hang-up with this piece of cloth. People think we are oppressed, silent, uninvolved, but we're not off in some corner. "

--Yasmin Elhady, who is president of her class at UCLA's School of Law, speaking about the headscarf worn by some Muslim women prior to her participation in a “Women in Islam” panel held Tuesday (April 21) in her native Huntsville, Ala. She was quoted by The Huntsville Times.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

"There are some cases that will drive you to your knees. In those moments you ask for strength and wisdom to have the right answer and the courage to stand up for it. "

--Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, speaking to high school students at a dinner in Washington when asked how his religious faith influenced his work on the court. He was quoted by The New York Times.
Offline Yada  
#132 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:16:08 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Tuesday, May 05, 2009

"I think I'm a pretty nice guy and I'm not used to people saying that kind of thing about me. It really hurt. But then I went to bed that night and talked to God for a good, long time. The next morning, I woke up feeling like Superman and I didn't care about what things people said anymore from that day on. "

--Samuel “Joe the Plumber” Wurzelbacher, speaking to ChristianityToday.com about how he dealt with criticism directed against him after former presidential nominee Sen. John McCain used him to criticize Barack Obama's tax policies.
Offline Yada  
#133 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 5:49:17 PM(UTC)
Yada

From The Religion News Service:

Quote:
Friday, June 12, 2009

"They’re used to knocking on doors, and they’re used to rejection."

--Scott Warner, manager of the Chicago sales team for Pinnacle Security, about former Mormon missionaries who are now door-to-door salespeople for the company. He was quoted by The New York Times. (June 11).
Offline Yada  
#134 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 4:45:38 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Thursday, June 25, 2009

"I am here because if you were to look at God's laws, they are in every instance designed to protect people from themselves. ... It's not a moral, rigid list of do's and don'ts, just for the heck of do's and don'ts. It is, indeed, to protect us from ourselves. "

--South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, admitting to an extramarital affair with a woman in Argentina on Wednesday (June 24).
Offline Yada  
#135 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 4:47:31 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"We are to love the people of the world no matter what they believe; we are not to love the value system of the world. And the problem today is a lot of Christians are getting that reversed. They love the value system and hate the people. "

--Megachurch pastor and best-selling author Rick Warren, addressing a group of breakaway Episcopalians and other Anglicans meeting in Bedford, Texas. He was quoted by The Associated Press (June 23).
Offline Yada  
#136 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 4:48:34 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"This is not like riding a unicorn through a cotton candy forest, handing out lollipops. This is blood sport, like kissing a buzz saw every day. "

--Mikey Weinstein, founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, describing his ongoing work to combat what he sees as inappropriate proselytizing in the military.
Offline Yada  
#137 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:23:01 PM(UTC)
Yada

From the "Religion News Service":

Quote:
Thursday, July 16, 2009

"I believe our generation of believers is going to have to accept that it's not always lack of faith if we need counseling for assistance with integrity. If I had gone to counseling, I probably could have completely avoided my crisis. "

--Former evangelical leader Ted Haggard, who resigned the presidency of the National Association of Evangelicals amid a sex and drug scandal. He was quoted by Charismamag.com.
Offline Yada  
#138 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 5:40:43 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Monday, July 27, 2009

"I'm just another one of the prophets that went to jail for the Gospel. "

--Evangelist Tony Alamo, calling out to reporters after being convicted Friday (July 24) of transporting girls across state lines for sex purposes. He was quoted by the Associated Press.
Offline Yada  
#139 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:10:11 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"What I have said is that if I cannot say another prayer, if I cannot give or get another hug, and if I cannot have another Martini -- then let me go. "

--Monsignor Charles Fahey, a Catholic priest who chairs the National Council on Aging, a nonprofit service and advocacy group. Fahey was speaking about health care reform and the controversy over end-of-life care. He was quoted by The Associated Press (Aug. 10).
Offline Heretic Steve  
#140 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:29:18 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

"Live your life in such a way so that the preacher won't have to tell lies at your funeral."
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline Yada  
#141 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 7:10:33 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Thursday, August 13, 2009

"Please don't invoke your 'Christian faith’ anymore and embarrass the people of God even further. "

--The Rev. Jim Wallis, president of Sojourners, about former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s comments on health care reform. Palin had said the new plan would include a “death panel” where bureaucrats would make life-or-death decisions. Wallis was quoted on Sojourners’ blog.
Offline Yada  
#142 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:56:23 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Friday, August 14, 2009

"I have been defending religious freedom issues for 22 years, and I've never had to defend somebody who has been charged criminally for praying. . "

--Mathew Staver, founder of Liberty Counsel, a legal group that is defending a Florida public school principal and athletic director facing criminal charges and possible jail time over offering a mealtime prayer. He was quoted by The Washington Times.
Offline Yada  
#143 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:47:24 PM(UTC)
Yada

A couple of interesting quotes from "The Religion News Service:"

Quote:
Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"In 2004, I met Darin Easler -- at church, just like your mother wants you to do. And our relationship progressed, and it became clear that this was a relationship for life, so I did go and tell the bishop. "

--The Rev. Bradley Schmeling, the openly gay pastor of St. John's Lutheran Church in Atlanta, who is working this week in Minneapolis to overturn policies that prevent non-celibate gay clergy in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. He was quoted by National Public Radio.

And:

Quote:
Monday, August 17, 2009

"Christians can't expect this to be a Christian society. Muslims can't expect this to be a Muslim society, ditto with the Buddhists, the Hindus and the other groups. "

--Lee Hsien Loong, Singapore's prime minister, warning in a National Day speech on Sunday (Aug. 16) that attempts to convert people to a different faith could threaten the stability of the city-state. Lee, who was born Buddhist and educated at a Catholic high school, was quoted by The Associated Press.
Offline Yada  
#144 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2009 3:11:21 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
"Nobody is proclaiming him a saint, but give the man his due. A powerful person articulating for those who are powerless is very consonant with what the mission of Jesus was. "

--Chester Gillis, professor of theology at Georgetown University, talking to The Boston Globe about the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, who was Catholic.
Offline Yada  
#145 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 1:07:20 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Monday, September 21, 2009

"Please recognize that the Lord is not so powerless as to need people to hide information, to embellish facts, or to give false witness in order to advance Christ's kingdom. You homeschoolers in particular ought to pause and weigh the power of the state to take your child into foster care against your feelings on this case and whether or not you would wish to be afforded a competent defense should religious biases be used against you some day."

--Attorney Yada McCarthy of Orlando, Fla., on Christians' criticism of him representing a Muslim mother who was trying to retrieve custody of her teenage daughter, Rifqa Bary, who fled to Florida when she converted to Christianity. McCarthy, writing in the St. Petersburg Times, is no longer involved in the case.
Offline Yada  
#146 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:26:28 AM(UTC)
Yada

A few recent quotes from "The Religion News Service":

Quote:
Friday, November 13, 2009

"People love a good comeback story. "

--Disgraced evangelical leader Ted Haggard, who has started a new prayer meeting in his Colorado home. The meeting drew more than 100 people, despite Haggard's own low expectations. He was quoted by The Associated Press (Nov. 13).

Quote:
Thursday, November 12, 2009

"When I'm in uniform, I feel totally relaxed. ... I get thank-yous at the supermarket, the gas station. But when I'm in civilian clothes, my hijab, I get scrutiny. Sometimes looks and stares speak loudly. Little do they know who I am. "

--Shareda Hosein, a lieutenant colonel in the Army Reserve and a Muslim chaplain at Tufts University, discussing being a Muslim in the military and in American society. She was quoted by The Washington Post.

Quote:
Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"They may get the stuff, but we'll get the souls. They may get the past, but we've got the future. "

--Anglican Bishop Robert Duncan, who has split with the Episcopal Church and formed a rival denomination, the Anglican Church in North America. Former and current Episcopalians are battling in court over church property. He was quoted by The New York Times (Nov. 8)

Quote:
Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"It's getting harder and harder for Muslims in the service to morally justify being in a military that seems constantly engaged against fellow Muslims. "

--Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, the Muslim Army psychiatrist who is accused of killing 13 people and wounding dozens more at an army base in Fort Hood, Texas. The quote is from a presentation Hasan made to senior Army doctors in 2007 while he was a psychiatric resident at Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington. A copy of Hasan's presentation was obtained by The Washington Post.

Quote:
Monday, November 09, 2009

"We should be clear: The actions of this one man do not reflect the beliefs or values of the vast majority of American Muslims. "

--Chaplain Paul Vicalvi, executive director of the National Association of Evangelicals Chaplains Commission, responding to the Thursday (Nov. 5) mass shooting at Fort Hood in which a Muslim suspect is accused of killing 13 people.
Offline Yada  
#147 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:07:09 AM(UTC)
Yada

From the Religion News Service:

Quote:
Monday, December 07, 2009

"Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions. "

--Golfer Tiger Woods, in a statement addressing reports that he has cheated on his wife, which surfaced after his single-vehicle accident on Nov. 27.
Offline Yada  
#148 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:08:16 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Friday, December 04, 2009

"Tonight, we celebrate a story that is as beautiful as it is simple.The story of a child born far from home to parents guided only by faith, but who would ultimately spread a message that has endured for more than 2,000 years -- that no matter who we are or where we are from, we are each called to love one another as brother and sister. "

--President Obama, lighting the National Christmas Tree in Washington on Thursday (Dec. 3).
Offline Yada  
#149 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:12:10 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Thursday, December 10, 2009

"These extremists are not the first to kill in the name of God; the cruelties of the Crusades are amply recorded. But they remind us that no holy war can ever be a just war. "

--President Obama, referring to terrorists responsible for the 9/11 attacks in his speech Thursday (Dec. 10) accepting the Nobel Peace Prize.
Offline Yada  
#150 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:34:55 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"This is not about your faith. This is about your conduct. This is about the rule of law in this country that you have decided does not apply to you. "

--U.S. District Judge William Duffey Jr. of Atlanta, addressing Ehsanul Islam Sadequee, of Roswell, Ga., as he imposed a 17-year sentence on Monday (Dec. 14) for supporting terrorism. He was quoted by CNN.com.