logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 1:49:07 AM(UTC)
Yada

From CNN:

Quote:
Heartbroken Briton sells his 'entire life'

LONDON, England -- A heartbroken Briton is one step closer to starting a new life as he tries to auction his "entire life" online following the break-up of his marriage.

Ian Usher, who moved to Australia six years ago, is selling his house, car, job and even an introduction to his friends on eBay. By 1000 GMT on Monday bids had reached almost $150,000.

Usher is saying goodbye to his three-bedroom home in the western Australian city of Perth and all its contents, including his car, motorbike, jet ski and parachuting equipment.

The auction closes at 2 p.m. Australian time on Saturday (0600 GMT) after which he said he would leave the country. "My current thoughts are to then head to the airport and ask at the flight desk where the next flight with an available seat goes to, and to get on that and see where life takes me from there," he said.

The 44-year-old, who originally came from Darlington, in northern England, will even include an introduction to his friends and a trial run at his job. "On the day it's all sold and settled, I intend to walk out of my front door with my wallet in one pocket and my passport in the other, nothing else at all," he said on his Web site, ALife4Sale.com.

Usher said he wanted a fresh start because his current life reminds him of his former marriage.

The couple parted a year ago but details of the breakup are only available to those who pay a fee on Usher's Web site.

He said: "Everything that I have -- the furniture in the house -- all has memories attached to it. It's time to shed the old, and in with the new."

Usher's employer at the rug store in Perth where he worked as a shop assistant, said she backed the auction. Her company vowed to offer the successful bidder a two-week trial run that could result in a permanent job.

She said: "When Ian came up with this idea, because we had seen him go through a break-up of marriage and pain and bits and pieces, I thought it was really exciting.

"We thought, why not give it a go?"

Usher said his friends in the city were prepared to be introduced to the highest bidder so he could advertise his auction as offering a complete lifestyle.

I thought this article raised some interesting questions. How does one effectively deal with heartbreak? How can you start a 'new life?' Would you even want to step into the shoes of another by 'buying their life' on eBay? Who would even consider such a thing?

The story on CNN is here.

Edited by user Monday, June 23, 2008 4:37:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Yada attached the following image(s):
jetski.jpg
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline bitnet  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 7:08:41 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Would this also include an introduction to the person (the ex-wife) who caused all this to happen? I think there are many people in the Mid-East who would like to move over to Oz and settle in and convert the kaffir there... Don't be surprised if one of them wins the bid!

Edited by user Monday, June 23, 2008 10:13:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 10:16:43 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I must say I do admire his attitude. Go for it I say!
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Matthew  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:06:05 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This is the type of story Churches love to use from the pulpit. "If we could sell all our possessions to the poor..."
Offline Yada  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2008 3:25:00 AM(UTC)
Yada

His 'life' has been sold! From CNN:

Quote:
Man sells life for less than expected

PERTH, Australia (AP) -- A man who auctioned his life -- his house, his car, his job, even his friends -- on eBay said Monday he is disappointed with the selling price: almost $384,000.

Ian Usher, a British immigrant to Australia, put everything he owned as well as introductions to his friends on the online auction site after a painful breakup with his wife prompted him to want a fresh start.

Bidding closed Sunday and reached nearly $384,000 -- an amount Usher said his house in the western city of Perth was worth on its own.

"I guess I'm a little bit disappointed at the final price, I'd hoped it to be a little higher than that," Usher told Nine Network television on Monday. "But I am committed to selling and moving on and making a fresh start."

He declined to reveal the buyer's identity, or what his next step would be.

Usher said he had hoped to get at least $480,000 (a half-million Australian dollars) for his life -- his house and all its contents, car and a motorcycle, a jet ski, skydiving gear, an introduction to friends and a trial period in his sales job -- but that the final result was enough for him to make a new start in life.

source
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline kp  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2008 5:37:24 AM(UTC)
kp

That's what happens when your whole life is measured by what you've got in this world: you end up with far less than you thought you had. In fact, you end up with nothing. "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal [and where inflation can't eat away at your net worth, by the way]. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21)

kp
Offline Yada  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 12:11:15 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
July 2, 2008 -- Updated 1038 GMT (1838 HKT)

Man sells his soul in Internet auction

Story Highlights
* New Zealand man has put his soul up for auction to the highest bidder
* So far 100 people expressed interest in the sale
* Successful bidder will receive a framed deed of "soul ownership"

AUCKLAND, New Zealand (AP) -- A New Zealand man has put his soul up for auction to the highest bidder, noting that is "a merry old soul" rather than a "funk soul brother" but that he would "would like to think there is a bit of funk in there somewhere."

Walter Scott, 24, put his soul up for sale on New Zealand Internet auction site TradeMe, and so far has received more than 100 expressions of interest.

The auction closes at 12:00 p.m. Thursday local time (0000 Thursday GMT), and bids so far had reached US$189 (NZ$$250).

Advice from a lawyer was that the winning bidder would not be entitled to anything but Scott's soul and would not be able to own or control him in any way, he said.

Scott said the successful bidder will receive a framed deed of "soul ownership."

source