logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline visitor  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2008 4:24:53 PM(UTC)
visitor

I've always wondered what the burning bush was symbolic of? I did a search on Yada Yahweh but couldn't find anything. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:03:38 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
ooww good question, I think I might have heard something on this before... but im not sure... If anything I think it was partly to catch moses attention :) but if there is more there or anyone knows more that would be interesting.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Matthew  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:49:47 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Cut and paste from The Owner's Manual - What Maimonides Missed - 02 - Holy God Holy People:

kp wrote:
(659) Investigate the Light with reverence. "Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. ...And the Angel of Yahweh appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. ...Then Moses said, ‘I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn.’ ...So when Yahweh saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, ‘Moses, Moses!’ And he said, ‘Here I am.’ ...Then He said, ‘Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.’ ...Moreover He said, ‘I am the God of your father--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’ And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God." (Exodus 3:1-6) As far as we know, this is only the second time in history Yahweh had ever manifested Himself before men in a form other than as a human. The first was when God spoke to Job (probably a near contemporary of Abraham) "out of the whirlwind." But other than this, we are told of no other early face-to-face encounters between man and God in which Yahweh manifested Himself as something other than a man--the pre-incarnate Messiah. We are told that Adam, Enoch, and Noah all "walked with God," and that "God spoke to Noah and to his sons with him." (Genesis 10:8) Abraham received Yahweh as a house guest in Genesis 18, accompanied by two angels, but all three figures are introduced to us as "men." God spoke to Abimelech and Jacob in dreams. Audible instructions were given to Abraham, Hagar, and Isaac by an Entity enigmatically identified as "the Angel (Hebrew: malak--a messenger, representative, or envoy) of Yahweh." And Jacob wrestled with a "man" who turned out to be God (compare Genesis 32:28 with 35:10). Theologians refer to these appearances of God to mankind as "theophanies."

It’s patently obvious why Yahweh uses theophanies when He wishes to manifest Himself to us visually or audibly. If He allowed His full glory to shine through, we’d survive the encounter about as long as a daisy in a nuclear holocaust. God must "dial down" His glory if He wants us to live to tell the tale. That’s the whole point of manifesting Himself as a human being: He wants us to live. When Yahweh delivered the Law to Moses on Mount Sinai (a.k.a. Horeb), the folks down below were so terrified by the "thunderings, lightning flashes, the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking," He promised instead to appear to them in a form with whom they could relate without being frightened to death: "Yahweh your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me [Moses] from your midst, from your brethren. Him you shall hear, ...according to all you desired of Yahweh your God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, ‘Let me not hear again the voice of Yahweh my God, nor let me see this great fire anymore, lest I die.’" (Deuteronomy 18:15-16) That "Prophet" would turn out to be the Messiah, Yahshua.

It is no coincidence that Moses’ first encounter with Yahweh had happened at the very same place, Mount Horeb (located in Midian, in today’s northwestern Saudi Arabia). At that time, God manifested Himself as a burning bush--something calculated to draw Moses’ attention, attracting him, intriguing him. Moses investigated the light, and when it became apparent that Yahweh, the God of Creation, was speaking to him through it, he showed appropriate reverence. Men are still attracted to and intrigued by the light of God. Whether they approach Him in reverence or in foolhardy arrogance (or ignore Him altogether) is a matter of personal choice and eternal consequence.
Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2008 3:42:51 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Thanks for the question, visitor. Got me thinking... How would have Mosheh known what he found or whom he met was from the Creator had there not been a miraculous sign? So, why burning bush? Exo 3:3 - And Mosheh said, “Let me turn aside now, and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn.” Perhaps that would have worked better than a talking goat or rock. Anyway, the Messenger who appeared there turned out to be Elohim, and you know the rest. Anyone has any other ideas?
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:37:21 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks Matt, thats a good quote :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Yada  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:03:52 AM(UTC)
Yada

I heard somewhere that the 'thorn bush' represented sin, while the fire (a metaphor for judgement) burned but did not consume it. It was therefore a symbol of God's Mercy and Grace.

Does this make any sense?
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Noach  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2008 6:12:12 AM(UTC)
Noach

Here is the Yada Yahweh reference:

Ezekiel will describe Yahuweh's spiritual and human forms, as well as His angelic attendants. To paint a word picture of what he observed, this Levitical priest will call upon most every radiant, light emitting, and reflecting term available to him. "I looked and behold (hinneh - calling attention to the details) a windstorm (sa'ar) of the Spirit (ruach) coming in from the north, a great cloud with fire continually taking the form of (yaqah) bright shining light with radiant splendor (nogah - enlightening like the beautiful brightness of daylight) on every side and in its midst, glowing like an alloy of gold and silver (chahmal - a shining substance like an amber stone or glowing metal) in the midst of the fire." (Ezekiel 1:3-4)
The reason this is important is to dispel two myths. First, light energy has physical properties, further confirming that Maimonides was wrong when he errantly concluded that God was incorporeal. Second, the "burning bush," the "mountain top ablaze," and the "upright pillar of fire" that Yahuweh used to manifest His presence among the Israelites wasn't actually "fire" in the sense of plasma gas but instead, energy manifest in the visual spectrum. To our senses, observable energy takes the forms of light and heat, so "fire" was simply the most descriptive term in the Hebrew nomenclature. What the Yisra'elites saw was probably as spectacular visually as Ezekiel's portrait: "bright shining light with radiant splendor, beautifully enlightening like daylight, glowing like gold and silver, and yet warm and pleasing like the translucent color of an amber stone." Yahuweh's radiance is beautiful beyond words.

The burning bush was a manifestation of Yahuweh's beautiful radiant light. It is how He would choose to interact with Mosheh and Yisra'el.

Noach
Offline bitnet  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2008 7:20:28 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Thanks, Noach. I had referenced those passages from YY you quoted before I posted but I did not find an explanation for the reason a bush was chosen. It simply was to catch Mosheh's eyes and prove His divinity. Why not tree, rock or animal? It seems to me that He chose a bush because it was close to Mosheh.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline YAH is my FATHER  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2008 9:05:37 PM(UTC)
YAH is my FATHER
Man

Quote:
Here is the Yada Yahweh reference:

Ezekiel will describe Yahuweh's spiritual and human forms, as well as His angelic attendants. To paint a word picture of what he observed, this Levitical priest will call upon most every radiant, light emitting, and reflecting term available to him. "I looked and behold (hinneh - calling attention to the details) a windstorm (sa'ar) of the Spirit (ruach) coming in from the north, a great cloud with fire continually taking the form of (yaqah) bright shining light with radiant splendor (nogah - enlightening like the beautiful brightness of daylight) on every side and in its midst, glowing like an alloy of gold and silver (chahmal - a shining substance like an amber stone or glowing metal) in the midst of the fire." (Ezekiel 1:3-4)
The reason this is important is to dispel two myths. First, light energy has physical properties, further confirming that Maimonides was wrong when he errantly concluded that God was incorporeal. Second, the "burning bush," the "mountain top ablaze," and the "upright pillar of fire" that Yahuweh used to manifest His presence among the Israelites wasn't actually "fire" in the sense of plasma gas but instead, energy manifest in the visual spectrum. To our senses, observable energy takes the forms of light and heat, so "fire" was simply the most descriptive term in the Hebrew nomenclature. What the Yisra'elites saw was probably as spectacular visually as Ezekiel's portrait: "bright shining light with radiant splendor, beautifully enlightening like daylight, glowing like gold and silver, and yet warm and pleasing like the translucent color of an amber stone." Yahuweh's radiance is beautiful beyond words.

Light is a double stranded entity - wave and particle, illumination and heat, spiritual and physical, heaven and earth, YAH and WEH.

The reason the bush did not burn, nor did Moses, nor did Yahshua when he later stood face to face with YAH (Matt. 17:2), is reasonably easily explained. It is because on each occasion, ONLY the SPIRITUAL (illumination) half of the double entity that is LIGHT was presented; therefore there was no (physical) heat involved.

Hence - the appearance of burning (by illumination), but not being burned (by heat); and also the faces of both Moses and Yahshua - shining as the sun, yet (I'm convinced) - no sunburn.

"So knowledge isn't the main measure, love of Yahweh and of each other is."

Edited by user Sunday, July 20, 2008 8:18:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Gended  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 10:08:29 AM(UTC)
Gended

BigGrin I was just listening to The Exodus Part 3 and burning bush is now suppose to be rock. I can not find where there is a different vowel point that would turn bush into rock. Would someone be so kind as to point me in that direction? The logic makes sense but I wanted to see the word in Hebrew. Thanks so much
Offline Mike  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 6:54:01 PM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Gended,

Welcome to the forum.

H5573
סנה
seneh
BDB Definition:
Seneh = “thorny”
1) a rocky height with crags which stood in the passage of Michmash
Part of Speech: noun proper locative
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: the same as H5572

H5572
סנה
seneh
BDB Definition:
1) a bush, thorny bush
1a) the burning bush of Moses
1b) perhaps a blackberry bush
Part of Speech: noun masculine

Shabot shalom
Offline Gended  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 4:05:43 AM(UTC)
Gended

Thank you so much for the quick response! I feel so stupid. I did not look back because it said "From an unused root meaning to prick". Good lesson for me! And what an awesome find! Thanks so much!