logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2008 12:26:41 PM(UTC)
Yada

In the beginning of YY, Yada lists the tools and resources he used in the writing of YY. I recently asked him how one might go about building a library of these kinds of resources for those of us on a budget (like me). This is the response I got:

Quote:
The most useful tool is the most expensive, Logos Software. The Ancient Languages version is around 700, but the Scholars Platinum Edition with all of the necessary add-ons, tops out at around 3 grand, maybe 4. If you wanted to get started at a couple of hundred clams, the best bet is the four volume Complete Word Study of the Old and New Testaments. It's available as a set from Christian Discount Bookstore.

But here's the good news. There are a bunch of good and free online sites which you and others can use. Since I've got better tools than those offered online, I'm not the best person to ask for the URL's, but if you spend a few hours with Google, I'll bet that you come up with at least 20 great sites.

Here is an example of one: http://www.scripture4all.org/

If you get a list together, send it to me and I'll have JP post it on the YY site.

Yada

Can anyone out there suggest other good sites?
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Yada  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2008 7:17:37 PM(UTC)
Yada

As I try to identify tools available online, I came across this interactive map:

Quote:
This map shows the 78 sacred texts in the British Library's Online Gallery. Most of them (72) were prepared for the Library's summer 2007 exhibition Sacred. The exhibition dealt with the common ground of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, and so the texts cover those three faiths. Over time we will gradually expand our Online Gallery with more items from other major world faiths.

You can view items by faith or date of origin. Use the text links in the panel to the left of the map to filter the selection of items shown. Click any marker on the map to display information about it and find out more. Navigate around, and zoom in or out, using the controls in the top left corner of the map window.

You can find the map here.

You can find other multimedia content from the British Library here.

Is anyone aware of equivalent online resources for the the books/tools that Yada lists in the beginning of YY?
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Yada  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2008 8:02:58 PM(UTC)
Yada

It's amazing what's available online. Here's free online course "Fifty Years of the Dead Sea Scrolls:"

Quote:
Fifty Years of the Dead Sea Scrolls

Half a century ago, a wandering goat brought a shepherd to a narrow opening in the cliffs of the Judean desert. Peering into the darkness, the shepherd gazed upon barely visible jars protecting texts whose message has transformed our understanding of the Bible, and ourselves... No one book, let alone an introductory Internet course, can offer the beginning student a comprehensive and balanced introduction to the Dead Sea Scrolls. While this course will attempt to touch on the major topics and key issues of the Scrolls' discovery and study, our real hope for you, the student, is that you will be inspired by this course to use the various references provided to begin your own adventure.

The "Fifty Years of the Dead Sea Scrolls" course is here.

This group also offers another free course online:

Quote:
A Journey Through Jerusalem

Discover the story of Jerusalem in words and pictures, spanning the ages from Jerusalem's infancy as a small walled town 4000 years ago to the dramatic growth the city has seen in the 20th century.

"A Journey Through Jerusalem" course is here.

Links to both courses are here.

Regarding the Dead Sea Scrolls, I also found this seminar online:

Quote:
"The Fragments" seminar on the Scrolls, was hosted by ABC Radio National's Rachael Kohn with leading Scrolls scholars, Geza Vermes, Lawrence Schiffman and Emanuel Tov. It was recorded in the Domain Theatre at the Art Gallery of New South Wales on July 14th, 2000.

The seminar explores six ancient texts that were on exhibition at the art gallery. These include biblical, apocryphal, sectarian, and legal writings. Click on the images below and hear the stories unfold from the tiniest fragments.

You can listen to the audio here.