logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Icy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:52:13 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
A friend of mine sent me this in a word document. There is some good stuff, especially the Scripture, but it seems very ritualistic to me, and I don't like that. But, I thought I would submit it here for those of you interested. If you have any suggestions on changes, please post them. They use "Yeshua" instead of "Yahushua" and "LORD" instead of "Yahuweh". (Although, it would seem to not matter, because I wrote "Y e s h u a" up there, and it automatically changed to "Y a h s h u a." So apparently, everything is corrected in that respect.

Quote:
Messianic Passover Haggadah
By Messianic Rabbi Eric Carlson

Introduction

The "Feast of Passover" or "Pesach" in Hebrew is a "Feast to the Lord" (Exodus 12:14), not just a Jewish holiday. This biblical Feast should be celebrated by Jew and Gentile. God commands us to celebrate this holiday forever. This Feast is directly related to and fulfilled by the Jewish Messiah, Messiah Yeshua! (Jesus Christ). John the Baptist refers to Yeshua as "The Lamb", "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world." (John 1:29). Celebrating Passover for over 1,500 years, thousands of Jews understood the profound meaning of this statement. Isaiah 53, written hundreds of years before Messiah Yeshua came, prophetically records the suffering the human lamb would experience for us. Isaiah. 53:7-10: "7 He was oppressed and treated harshly, yet he never said a word. He was led as a lamb to the slaughter. And as a sheep is silent before the shearer's, he did not open his mouth. 8 From prison and trial they led him away to his death. But who among the people realized that he was dying for their sins - that he was suffering their punishment? 9 He had done no wrong, and he never deceived anyone. But he was buried like a criminal; he was put in a rich man's grave. 10 But it was the LORD's good plan to crush him and fill him with grief. Yet when his life is made an offering for sin, he will have a multitude of children, many heirs. He will enjoy a long life, and the LORD's plan will prosper in his hands."

Leviticus 17:11 states: "for the life of any creature is in its blood. I have given you the blood so you can make atonement for your sins. It is the blood, representing life, that brings you atonement." There must be blood to atonement for sin, Yeshua provided that blood and was sacrificed for all our sins. God said sins cannot be forgiven without blood, praise God that through His Son, Yeshua, our sins can be forgiven and known no more. You can partake of this new blood covenant, all you have to do is ask Yeshua into your heart, accept Him as your personal savior, and God will know your sins no more! We have listed the reference scriptures first so you will understand the Biblical significance of this Feast then the Seder follows. This is just an outline of the basic Passover Seder. We encourage you to personalize this outline and make it your family tradition "In Remembrance" of Yeshua's sacrifice for the world!

SCRIPTURAL REFERENCES FOR PASSOVER (New King James Version)

The First Passover:
Exodus 12:12-19 "12 For I will pass through the land of Egypt on that night, and will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the Lord. 13 Now the blood shall be a sign for you on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you; and the plague shall not be on you to destroy you when I strike the land of Egypt. 14 So this day shall be to you a memorial; and you shall keep it as a feast to the Lord throughout your generations. You shall keep it as a feast by an everlasting ordinance. 15 Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread. On the first day you shall remove leaven from your houses. For whoever eats leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that person shall be cut off from Israel. 16 On the first day there shall be a holy convocation, and on the seventh day there shall be a holy convocation for you. No manner of work shall be done on them; but that which everyone must eat--that only may be prepared by you. 17 So you shall observe the Feast of Unleavened Bread, for on this same day I will have brought your armies out of the land of Egypt. Therefore you shall observe this day throughout your generations as an everlasting ordinance. 18 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at evening, you shall eat unleavened bread, until the twenty-first day of the month at evening. 19 For seven days no leaven shall be found in your houses, since whoever eats what is leavened, that same person shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he is a stranger or a native of the land."

Instructions on how to observe Passover
Exodus 12:21-28: 21 Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel and said to them, "Pick out and take lambs for yourselves according to your families, and kill the Passover lamb. 22 And you shall take a bunch of hyssop, dip it in the blood that is in the basin, and strike the lintel and the two doorposts with the blood that is in the basin. And none of you shall go out of the door of his house until morning. 23 For the Lord will pass through to strike the Egyptians; and when He sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the Lord will pass over the door and not allow the destroyer to come into your houses to strike you. 24 And you shall observe this thing as an ordinance for you and your sons forever. 25 It will come to pass when you come to the land which the Lord will give you, just as He promised, that you shall keep this service. 26 And it shall be, when your children say to you, 'What do you mean by this service?' 27 that you shall say, 'It is the Passover sacrifice of the Lord, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt when He struck the Egyptians and delivered our households.' " So the people bowed their heads and worshiped. 28 Then the children of Israel went away and did so; just as the Lord had commanded Moses and Aaron, so they did.
Upon the death of the first-born of the Egyptians, the Israelites left Egypt and were freed!

Exodus 12:29-36 "29 And it came to pass at midnight that the Lord struck all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sat on his throne to the firstborn of the captive who was in the dungeon, and all the firstborn of livestock. 30 So Pharaoh rose in the night, he, all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt, for there was not a house where there was not one dead. 31 Then he called for Moses and Aaron by night, and said, "Rise, go out from among my people, both you and the children of Israel. And go, serve the Lord as you have said. 32 Also take your flocks and your herds, as you have said, and be gone; and bless me also." 33 And the Egyptians urged the people, that they might send them out of the land in haste. For they said, "We shall all be dead." 34 So the people took their dough before it was leavened, having their kneading bowls bound up in their clothes on their shoulders. 35 Now the children of Israel had done according to the word of Moses, and they had asked from the Egyptians articles of silver, articles of gold, and clothing. 36 And the Lord had given the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they granted them what they requested. Thus they plundered the Egyptians.

Entry of the Lambs
As biblically prescribed, Passover lambs were chosen by the High Priest outside of Jerusalem on the tenth of Nisan (Exodus 12:3). The Priest then lead these lambs into the city while thousands of Israelite worshippers lined the streets waving palm branches and singing Psalm 118, "Blessed is He that comes in the name of the Lord." Messiah Yeshua entered Jerusalem that same day, on a donkey (Jewish custom of that time was that a King riding on a donkey meant he was coming in peace, if he was riding a horse that meant war or hostility.), right behind the High Priest's procession. The crowds that had celebrated and announced the entrance of the Passover Lambs heralded the entrance of the "El Ha She" or "Perfect Lamb of God". Yeshua identified himself with the Passover sacrifice (John 12:9-19). Most Israelites knew that it would be in Jerusalem that the Messiah would be crowned as their King. Jewish bible historian Alfred Edersheim writes,
Everyone in Israel was thinking about the Feast, Everyone was going to Jerusalem, or had those near and dear to them there, or at least watched the festive processions to the Metropolis of Judaism. It was a gathering of universal Israel, that of the memorial of the birth-night of the nation, and of its Exodus, when friends from afar would meet, and new friends be made; when offerings long due would be brought, and purification long needed be obtained and all worship in that grand and glorious Temple, with its gorgeous ritual. National and religious feelings were alike stirred in what reached far back to the first, and pointed far forward to the final Deliverance.

The lamb was taken to the Temple, where it would be tied in public view so that it could be inspected for blemish. In the same way, Yeshua sat and taught in the Temple courtyard for four days. He was inspected and questioned as the Sadducees, the Pharisees, and the scribes sought to snare and entrap Him. They failed because He is the WORD! John 1:1-5 " 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."

The Passover - Yeshua fulfills Biblical Prophecy through Passover
Matthew 26:17-" 17 Now on the first day of the Feast of the Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Yeshua, saying to Him, "Where do You want us to prepare for You to eat the Passover?" 18 And He said, "Go into the city to a certain man, and say to him, 'The Teacher says, "My time is at hand; I will keep the Passover at your house with My disciples." 19 So the disciples did as Yeshua had directed them; and they prepared the Passover. 20 When evening had come, He sat down with the twelve. 21 Now as they were eating, He said, "Assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray Me." 22 And they were exceedingly sorrowful, and each of them began to say to Him, "Lord, is it I?" 23 He answered and said, "He who dipped his hand with Me in the dish will betray Me. 24 The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born." 25 Then Judas, who was betraying Him, answered and said, "Rabbi, is it I?" He said to him, "You have said it."

26 And as they were eating, Yeshua took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is My body." 27 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. 28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."
And he (Yeshua) said to them, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer." (Luke 22:15)
Yeshua is our Passover. God allowed Him to be sacrificed for us. There must be blood for sin! His blood is the only atonement for our sins; without it there is no remission; without the sprinkling of it there is no salvation.

What you'll need for the Seder:
1. A Seder Plate or a fancy plate-like dish.
For the Seder Plate, A lamb shank-bone (some leave off as Yeshua is our lamb), Bitter Herbs (Horseradish), Charoset (A mixture of apples, nuts, grape juice, and cinnamon), and Green Vegetable (Either parsley or celery)
2. A small basin of water for hand washing.
3. Two candles and candle sticks to light at beginning.
4. Extra if celebrating with a large family or group.

The Seder
INTRODUCTION

Why do we celebrate? Two reasons:
1. Genesis 12:1-3 "1 Now the Lord had said to Abram: "Get out of your country, From your family And from your father's house, To a land that I will show you. 2 I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed." God will bless those who bless Israel!
2. John 4:22 . " 22 You Samaritans know so little about the one you worship, while we Jews know all about him, for salvation comes through the Jews." Passover is a "Feast of the Lord", who commanded us to celebrate it always. As a believer in Yeshua, you are "grafted into the Jewish Root" (Romans 11:17), the source of our salvation! The Bible and it's feast are our culture!

1. LIGHTING THE CANDLES
2. THE FOUR CUPS
3. THE FIRST CUP (THE CUP OF SANCTIFICATION)
4. UR'CHATZ - THE WASHING OF HANDS
5. EATING OF the KARPAS (GREEN VEGETABLE)
6. YACHATZ - BREAKING THE MIDDLE MATZAH
7. THE FOUR QUESTIONS
8. MAGID: TELLING THE PASSOVER STORY
9. DRINK FROM THE SECOND CUP (JUDGMENT)
10. EATING THE MATZAH
11. EATING OF THE BITTER HERBS
12. EATING THE CHAROSET
13. ENJOY THE PASSOVER MEAL
14. HUNT FOR THE AFIKOMAN
15. GRACE AFTER THE MEAL AND THE THIRD CUP
16. THE FOURTH CUP (THE CUP OF PRAISE)

1. LIGHTING THE PASSOVER CANDLES
Leader: The woman of the home traditionally lights the two candles that brings light to the Passover celebration. It was a woman who sinned first and removed the "Light" from the world and it was a woman who brought the "Light" back into the world. It reminds us that Messiah Yeshua, the Light of the World, is the seed of the woman.

Woman with head covered lights the candles and says : Baruch Atah Adonai Elohaynu Melech ha'olam, asher kidshanu b'Yeshua HaMashiach, Or ha'olam v'Pesach shelanu. Blessed are You O Lord our God, King of the universe, who sanctified us in Yeshua the Messiah, the Light of the World and our Passover Lamb.

(DISPLAY SEDER PLATE)
Leader: In the center of table is the Seder Plate, a special plate containing all of tonight's food items. Each food on it has special symbolic meaning (hold up items).
• The MATZAH, The Unleavened bread. The Israelites fleeing Egypt had no time for it to rise. It is the bread of affliction or the humble bread. The bread without leaven, made of fine wheat flour, water and oil. (Exodus 29:7 & Deuteronomy 16:3). Leaven also reminds us of sin, how a small contaminates a large area, and the need to rid ourselves of it.1 Corinthians 5:6-8 (Leaven & Yeshua our Passover

"6 How terrible that you should boast about your spirituality, and yet you let this sort of thing go on. Don't you realize that if even one person is allowed to go on sinning, soon all will be affected? 7 Remove this wicked person from among you so that you can stay pure. Christ, our Passover Lamb, has been sacrificed for us. 8 So let us celebrate the festival, not by eating the old bread of wickedness and evil, but by eating the new bread of purity and truth.'" 1 Corinthians 5:6-8
• The Roasted Lamb Bone is a symbol of the first Passover lamb eaten before the children left Egypt. (Exodus 12:3)
• Bitter Herbs recall the bitterness of slavery and bondage. Sin is like the bitter herb, it tastes sweet at first, then bitter (Exodus 1:11, Hebrews 12:15, James 3:14)]
• A Green Vegetable (Karpas) represents the hyssop branches used to apply the blood of the lamb to the doorpost. It is a Jewish symbol of new life, a new start! (Exodus 12:7)
• The Clay (Charoset) of apples, nuts, cinnamon, and wine, represents the bricks and mortar the Israelites were forced to make to build the Pharaoh's cities in Egypt. . (Exodus 1:14)
• A Roasted Egg, a reminder of the Temple Holiday Sacrifice and is no longer used.(No Temple)
Salt Water represents the tears shed by the Israelites when they were slaves and recounts their Baptism in the Red Sea. (Exodus 14:22)

2. THE FOUR CUPS
Leader Says: There are four times we will drink juice/wine this evening. The custom of drinking wine is mentioned by all of the Synoptic writers. For example, during this celebration, Yeshua and His disciples filled their cups four different times, Matthew and Mark record that Yeshua took "the cup" but don't say which one of the four it was. Luke (Luke 17:20) states the third cup in the Passover is the cup that Yeshua used to usher in the New Covenant. The four cups represent four expressions of redemption as stated in the bible (Exodus 6:6-7)

Each filling received a particular name to focus attention on their blessings and redemption from bondage.
1. The first cup was called "the Cup of Sanctification".
2. The second cup was called "the Cup of Judgment".
3. The third cup was called "the Cup of Redemption.
4. The fourth cup was called "the Cup of Hallel (Praise)".

3. THE FIRST CUP (the cup of SANCTIFICATION)
Everyone stands to partake of the first cup. All will lift their cup as the Leader recites the blessing (Kiddush) over the juice.

Leader: With this cup of Sanctification we set this night aside, as different than all other nights. Sanctification means to be set apart as God set apart His people from Egypt. In the same way we have been sanctified (set apart) from sin by accepting Yeshua as our Savior. We drink while leaning to symbolize freedom as the Son has set us free!

Leader: Ba rook Ah-ta Adonai El-olhay-knew Mel-ick How-o-lam Bore a Parie Ha gawo-fen , B'shem Yeshua, Amen
Blessed art Thou, o lord our god, ruler of the universe, creator of the fruit of the vine, in the name of Yeshua, Amen.
Lean to the left and drink the Cup. Pour the second cup but do not drink it.

4. UR'CHATZ - THE WASHING OF HANDS
Leader: We wash our hands as Aaron was commanded to wash his hands and feet before coming to the altar. We desire to become cleansed and live a clean life that's pleasing to our Father so we may approach the Spiritual altar (Hebrews 13:10-15). Now for the Washing of Hands: (Exodus 40:30-32). Yeshua humbled Himself that night as He washed the feet of the Talmidim (Disciples) John 13:4-12 "4 So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, 5 and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel he had around him. 6 When he came to Simon Peter, Peter said to him, "Lord, why are you going to wash my feet?" 7 Yeshua replied, "You don't understand now why I am doing it; someday you will." 8 "No," Peter protested, "you will never wash my feet! "Yeshua replied, "But if I don't wash you, you won't belong to me." 9 Simon Peter exclaimed, "Then wash my hands and head as well, Lord, not just my feet!" 10 Yeshua replied, "A person who has bathed all over does not need to wash, except for the feet, to be entirely clean. And you are clean, but that isn't true of everyone here." 11 For Yeshua knew who would betray him. That is what he meant when he said, "Not all of you are clean." 12 After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down and asked, "Do you understand what I was doing?"'

Blessed art thou, o Lord our God, king of the universe, who has sanctified us with Thy commandments and commanded us to wash the hands.

5. EATING OF the KARPAS (GREEN VEGETABLE)
Leader: Parsley or salary dipped in salt water is to remind us of the tears shed as a result of slavery in Egypt. Green is also a symbol of life and renewal. With hyssop branches they sprinkled the blood of the lamb to their doorpost (Exodus 1:22). May we remember the tears shed by Yeshua over his people. This is the appetizer of the meal.

Ba rook Ah-ta Adonai El-olhay-knew Mel-ick How-o-lam Bore a Parie How a dow mow Blessed art Thou, O Lord our God, Ruler of the universe, Creator of the fruit of the earth.

All eat Karpas (green Vegetable), parsley dipped in salt water.

6. YACHATZ - BREAKING THE MIDDLE MATZAH
Leader: (Holding the Matzah) This bread is called unleavened bread or matzah. See how it has holes in it just as Yeshua was pierced, it is striped, just as Yeshua bore 39 stripes, and it has no leaven, just as Yeshua was without sin. It is the bread of affliction that our Fathers ate in the land of Egypt. It is the Bread of Life done in "Remembrance" of Messiah Yeshua's sacrifice for our sins, He is the "Bread of Life". (John 6:48-51).

Now comes one of the most interesting parts of the Seder for believers in Yeshua, the breaking of the middle matzah. Three matzos are placed under a special white covering (called the "matzo toff" or Matzo Tosh). The middle matzah is removed and broken. The larger piece is wrapped and hidden, it is called the afikoman meaning "that which comes later". The Afikoman is hidden or buried, and is to be found and redeemed later for a reward. The smaller piece is eaten before the meal. Why are there three matzos? Some rabbis say it represents ABRAHAM, ISAAC and JACOB but that does not explain why the middle matzah is broken. This tradition has been celebrated for thousands of years by Orthodox Jews who don't know the profound truth of Messiah Yeshua, the "Bread of Life". For us who believe in Yeshua, it is no mystery. It is a representation of Yeshua's broken body which was wrapped in the burial cloth, buried, and brought forth again in three days. The three matzah's are a symbol of the Tri-une Nature of God , Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The middle matzah (the Son) is broken, buried, and brought back, allowing us to escape the sting of death, giving us Eternal Life. Many Orthodox Jews will hide a piece of the Afikoman in the house and later in the year if some illness or ill-will besets them or their family the will get the Afikoman and eat a small portion of it to receive a healing or a miracle.

The leader takes the middle matzah, breaks in two, one piece larger than the other. The larger piece is covered, set aside, and hidden as the Afikoman, to come forth later (children hide their eyes while this is done). The smaller piece is placed back between the matzah's.

7. THE FOUR QUESTIONS
Passover gives us a yearly opportunity to come together as a family and teach our children God's plan of redemption, through His Son Messiah Yeshua. It is written in the Torah: You shall observe this service. And it will come about when your children will say to you, "What does this service mean to you?" that you shall say, "It is the Passover service to the Lord." To make sure that the children fulfill this Scripture, there are four questions that the youngest son is to ask on Passover.

Why is this night different from all other nights?

1. On all other nights we eat leavened bread; but on this night why only unleavened bread?
2. On all other nights we eat herbs of any kind; but on this night why only bitter herbs?
3. On all other nights we do not dip our herbs even once; but on this night why do we dip them twice?
4. On all other nights we eat our meals sitting or reclining; but on this night why do we eat in a reclining position?

Leader: (Uncover the matzah).

1. We eat matzah because when our ancestors were told by God to make their bread without leaven as they would be leaving Egypt quickly, they had no time to bake bread with leaven, so they baked it without leaven.
2. During the Seder, we eat bitter herbs to remind us of the bitterness and sorrow our ancestors experienced when enslaved by the Egyptian taskmasters.
3. During the Seder, we dip food twice: the parsley or celery in salt water, as we have already explained, and the matzah into bitter herbs, as we shall later explain.
4. As a sign of freedom, we lean to the left when we partake of the cup. In ancient times, slaves ate hurriedly, standing, while royalty, and the wealthy in Egypt, and other empires, reclined on pillows. To show that Israel was now free, they too reclined while eating

8. MAGID: TELLING THE PASSOVER STORY
Leader: This entire evening, this whole Seder, this Pesach celebration (Hebrew for Passover) is based upon the command from God to us calling us to celebrate His Passover, His redemption plan for all generations. It is done to teach our children about God's might, sovereignty, power, and love for us. Explaining to them how God delivered us from bondage in Egypt. Telling how Messiah Yeshua was crucified during Passover, to free us again from bondage, the bondage of sin. He was and is the "Perfect Lamb". Yeshua's crucifixion is a continuation of the Passover saga. It's a story of how God manifest himself in human flesh to deliver us from sin, and free us once and for all. This story is about the salvation of the world through the blood of Messiah Yeshua. Isaiah 53, written hundreds of years before Yeshua foretold the suffering the human lamb would experience for us.

"7 He was oppressed and treated harshly, yet he never said a word. He was led as a lamb to the slaughter. And as a sheep is silent before the shearers, he did not open his mouth. 8 From prison and trial they led him away to his death. But who among the people realized that he was dying for their sins - that he was suffering their punishment? 9 He had done no wrong, and he never deceived anyone. But he was buried like a criminal; he was put in a rich man's grave. 10 But it was the LORD's good plan to crush him and fill him with grief. Yet when his life is made an offering for sin, he will have a multitude of children, many heirs. He will enjoy a long life, and the LORD's plan will prosper in his hands" (Isaiah 53:7-10).

The children of Israel went down to Egypt in the time of Joseph. God used Joseph to save both the children of Israel and the children of Egypt. But years later a new Pharaoh arose who did not remember Joseph. Instead of showing gratitude he enslaved our people. The Lord raised up Moses who went to Pharaoh and demanded that he let the Jewish people go. Pharaoh was stubborn and refused to let Israel go. God poured out ten plagues on the land of Egypt.

Everyone please recite the names of the ten plaques together with me. We will dip our finger in the second cup of juice and place one drop of juice on our plate for each plaque while naming the affliction:

1. Blood 2. Frogs 3. Lice 4. Wild Beast 5. Blight
6. Boils 7. Hail 8. Locusts 9. Darkness 10. Death of First born

The tenth plague was the worst one of them all: death for all the first-born throughout the land of Egypt, both the first-born of Israel and the first-born of Egypt, both the first-born of man and the first-born of beast. After the nine plaques God told Moses to tell the Hebrew people to take a lamb for each family, perfect ones without blemish. They were to kill these lambs, take some of the blood and spread it on the lintels of their doors with hyssop branches. That same evening they were to eat the lamb roasted over a fire along with bitter herbs and bread made without leaven. They were to eat the meal with their travel clothes on and hurriedly. God said that very night the angel of death would pass through Egypt and the first born of both men and animals would die. God said He would pass over the houses of His children that were marked with the blood of the lamb. That night death came to Egypt, including the Pharaoh's son. During the night Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and told them to depart Egypt with all their flocks and herds. The Hebrew children were freed!

Centuries later Yeshua celebrated Passover with His disciples. He proclaimed that one of them would betray Him (Judas), blessed the wine and matzah, and proclaimed the "New Covenant" with the third cup of wine (the cup of redemption), and read from the Torah. After the meal he went to the garden of Gethsemane to pray with three of his disciples (Peter, James, and John). Yeshua visited there often but this night was different. Turning to the three disciples, Yeshua said hoarsely "watch and pray". Having just eaten, the three disciples could not stay awake. Yeshua, on His knees praying and interceding with Father, was in the middle of a spiritual battle with the enemy. The garden was overrun with demonic forces trying to persuade the "Son of God" to turn, run, and flee from what was to come. They taunted him and mocked him, knowing that all eternity was at stake. Three times the Messiah woke up the disciples, but they could not remain alert. Evil surrounded them. With full knowledge of the pain, agony, and suffering that He was about to endure, Yeshua prayed out loud "Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will, not mine." Luke 22:42. The battle was over and already won! Judas arrived with the soldiers, kissed Yeshua at which Yeshua was promptly arrested. Placed on trial, He was found to be without guilt despite many false testimonies. Placed in chains He was handed over to Pontius Pilate the Roman Governor. As was the custom of that day, Pontius would free one convict for the festival of Passover as a gesture of goodwill. When Yeshua was offered to the people for release they refused crying out "put Him to death on the stake". Pontius Pilate washed his hands of this and had Yeshua whipped and handed over to the local authorities be executed. Yeshua's clothes were stripped off and a scarlet robe was placed on Him, a woven crown of thorn branches was placed over His head and a stick put in His right hand. The soldiers kneeled down in front of Him and mocked Him saying "Hail to the King of the Jews". They spit on Him and beat Him about the head with a stick. After ridiculing Him, they removed the scarlet robe, placed His clothes back on Him and led Him away to be crucified. The soldiers nailed Him to the Cross and divided His clothes among themselves. Yeshua died as the lambs for Passover meal were being slain. During Passover a sign was hung around the neck of the Lambs naming the owner of the lamb. Yeshua was crucified with a sign hanging over His head with the name of His Father. The message "Yeshua of Nazareth, King of the Jews" was written on this sign in three languages. The message was written using the first letter from each word. The Hebrew initials for "Yeshua of Nazareth, King of the Jews" is YHWH. This is why the priest asked Pilate to change the writing (John 19:21-22). Placed in a tomb that evening, Yeshua rose from death and was resurrected three days later to sit at the right hand throne of God. During this "three day" period, Yeshua went to hell and retrieved the keys of death from satan, granting all who profess Yeshua as savior eternal live. Yeshua's death and resurrection set us free from sin for all eternity. Yeshua was our Passover Lamb.

9. DRINK FROM THE SECOND CUP (JUDGMENT)
Leader: During the last Passover Seder Yeshua celebrated before His crucifixion, Yeshua stated "For this is My blood, which ratifies the New Covenant, My blood shed on behalf of many, so that they may have their sins forgiven." Yeshua drank of this cup of judgment so we won't have to!
(Lifting the cup of juice) Ba rook Ah-ta Adonai El-olhay-knew Mel-ick How-o-lam Bore a Parie Ha gawo-fen , B'shem Yeshua, Amen
Blessed art Thou, o lord our god, ruler of the universe, creator of the fruit of the vine, in the name of Yeshua, Amen.

10. EATING THE MATZAH.
Leader: We will all share in the unleavened bread just as Yeshua did, as described by Luke " Also, taking a piece of matzah, He made the blessing, broke it, gave it to them and said, "This is My body, which is being given for you; do this in memory of Me.'" Luke 22:19
Baruch Atah Adonai, Eloheynu Melech Ha Olam, Ha Motzi Lechem Min Ha Aretz.

Blessed are you, O Lord our God, King of the universe, Who brings forth the bread from the earth.

11. EATING OF THE BITTER HERBS.
Leader: These bitter herbs represent the bitterness of slavery, the bitterness of sin, and the bitterness Yeshua went through while being crucified.
Blessed art Thou, O Lord our God, Ruler of the universe, Who made us holy with His commandments, and commanded us concerning the eating of bitter herbs. (Exodus 12:8 & Numbers 9:11)

All eat the bitter herbs. (MATZAH dipped in bitter herbs)

12. EATING THE CHAROSET.
Leader: We will next eat matzah and bitter herbs together as a sandwich, in order to observe literally the words of the Torah: "They shall eat it [the Passover offering] with matzah and bitter herbs. (Exodus 12:8 & Numbers 9:11) The...
Offline Icy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:18:37 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have read through this script myself and come up with several points of contention. I originally wrote this to send to the friend that emailed the thing to me, as our families are to celebrate Passover together. I figured I would share some of the things I found with with you all as well. Alot of the stuff seems like ritual, or is just a matter of observing tradition. There is so much that I just could not find any sort of Scriptural backing on. Exodus 12 says quite simply how to celebrate Passover, anything beyond that would seem, at the very least, unnecessary to me. I quoted a few things from the script, and then my comment on it is in red.

1. LIGHTING THE PASSOVER CANDLES: I can not find anything about this in Scripture. This seems to me to be nothing more than something that grew out of tradition. It is not necessary, and I think it adds more extraneous stuff to something that was/is supposed to be simple.

2. DISPLAY SEDER PLATE: Where is this from? Again, I don’t see it in Scripture. Where does a “Sedar Plate” come from? It just seems like tradition, like having a special Christmas plate, or whatever.

3.Exodus 29:7 says nothing about Matzah, I don’t know why this verse was referenced.

4. The Roasted Lamb Bone is a symbol of the first Passover lamb eaten before the children left Egypt. (Exodus 12:3) This verse does not specify a “Lamb Bone” and I would contend that the “lamb bone” is rather a symbol of Yahushua more than the symbol of the first Passover, because Passover itself is a symbol of Yahushua’s sacrifice.

5. The Clay (Charoset) of apples, nuts, cinnamon, and wine, represents the bricks and mortar the Israelites were forced to make to build the Pharaoh's cities in Egypt. . (Exodus 1:14) Where does this come in as part of Passover, I don’t see it in Scripture? Sounds like it might taste pretty good, but it doesn’t seem Scriptural, just traditional.

6. A Roasted Egg, a reminder of the Temple Holiday Sacrifice and is no longer used. (No Temple) Where is this from? There is not reference to this at all.

7. Salt Water represents the tears shed by the Israelites when they were slaves and recounts their Baptism in the Red Sea. (Exodus 14:22) Where does this make its way into the meal in Scripture?

8. Luke (Luke 17:20) states the third cup in the Passover is the cup that Yahushua used to usher in the New Covenant. I do not have any idea what version of Scripture he is using, but this is what Luke 17:20 says: “Now having been questioned by the Pharisees as to when the kingdom of God was coming, He answered them and said, “The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed” This says nothing about drinking from a cup. There are “cups” mentioned all throughout this script, but where do “4 cups” come from. This is not scriptural having 4 cups. We are simply to have wine with the meal as it symbolizes Yahushua’s blood that has cleansed us.

9. Lean to the left and drink the Cup. This is what I mean about ritualistic stuff. These minute details detract from the Feast.

10. EATING OF the KARPAS (GREEN VEGETABLE): All Scripture says, is to eat the roasted lamb with bitter herbs, green vegetables are not even mentioned. Yes, there is the Hyssop that was used to put blood on the lintel, so I can see perhaps having a green vegetable with the meal, but I wouldn’t say it is necessary. And once you do it like this script, (eating it at a specific time, dipping it in salt water, saying spedific words) it starts to be ritual. The chant type stuff with each thing that is done is what really pulls this all together as a ritual.

11. I don’t see that the bread has to have holes and stripes, as I’m sure them they did not before Yahushua came. The bread itself is enough to symbolize him. Though, I am not opposed to doing this, I just wouldn’t dictate that it has to be done.

12. The whole thing with the three matzo toffs seems weird. Again, where is this in Scripture? Just because something was done as a tradition does not mean it is right. Christmas and Easter are traditions, but we know full well how wrong they are. Christians will tell you that they are for, and because of, Jesus, but you and I know the pagan history of them and that they are not Scriptural. So, we need to have that same discernment about things from Judaism. I don’t really see a problem with having three and breaking one. Though, again it seems too much like ritual when you start burying it and digging it up later, especially with the part about finding it later in the year and eating part of it for healing. That speaks of mysticism. If you want healing, just ask Yahuweh. The bread does not hold any power, and to place faith in it like that is nothing more that idol worship.

13. The Four Questions again seem too much like ritual. Yes, Yahuweh did say that when the children ask why we do it that we are to tell them. This is so that the people will remember and teach it to their children. The part of this script has turned it into a ritual though, making the youngest son ask the questions each Passover, and having specific questions to ask. This is ritual. They are not bad questions, but to dictate a certain person to ask them each time is silly. Just teach these things, and when children ask any question, provide them with an answer.

14. You can not tell me that this is not ritual: Everyone please recite the names of the ten plaques together with me. We will dip our finger in the second cup of juice and place one drop of juice on our plate for each plaque while naming the affliction. It also just seems silly. We are celebrating Passover as a memorial of Yahushua’s sacrifice, not as Orthodox Jews do – a memorial of slavery in Egypt.

15. Throughout this script, the meal that Yahushua had with the disciples has been called the Passover meal, but when you read the story that is being told later it says in it: Yahushua died as the lambs for Passover meal were being slain. During Passover a sign was hung around the neck of the Lambs naming the owner of the lamb. Yahushua was crucified with a sign hanging over His head with the name of His Father. This here is right, but it is a contradiction to the assertion that the “Last Super” was the Passover meal. It was not. It was a meal, and it was at the beginning of Passover. But, the “Passover Meal” was actually eaten during the beginning hours of the first day of Unleavened Bread, because the Lamb is sacrificed in the twilight hours at the end of the Passover day.

16. DRINK FROM THE SECOND CUP (JUDGMENT): This seems like ritual again, lifting a cup and reciting specific words.

17. EATING OF THE BITTER HERBS: I got the impression that the bitter herbs were to be cooked with the lamb. Why? Because as the lamb, Yahushua took our sin from us. He was perfect when he died, but after he was dead, he was taking the punishment for our sin, he took that sin with him. So, shouldn’t the herbs be roasted with the lamb? Also, I looked up what herbs are bitter and came up with a couple things:

Quote:
"Bitter herbs" included many different plants. These plants were available locally and grew wild. They are mostly associated with the Passover meal. This is a seven-day feast (this is wrong, but we know that already) that includes a dinner of lamb served with unleavened bread and bitter herbs. Walker identifies some likely bitter herbs as chichory-Cichorium endivia and C. intybus, lettuce- Lactuca sativa, watercress-Nasturtium officinale, sorrel-Rumex acetosella var. multifidus and mint. The dandelion was probably one of the herbs. Native to southern Europe and many parts of the world, the dandelion gets its name from the French dent de lion because the pointed leaves resemble a lion's tooth. Smith names also bitter cresses, hawkweeds, sow-thistles and wild lettuces, noting their availability in the Sinai Peninsula and Egypt. Nelson names coriander, wild endive, and nettles. Exodus 12 tells us the purpose of the observance of Passover was to recall the bitter bondage under Egypt. Today horseradish is used with this meal.

I also found this list:

Quote:
Barberry
Boneset
Centaury
Chamomile
Dandelion
Gentian
Golden Seal
Horehound
Mugwort
Rue
Southernwood
Tansy
Wormwood
Yarrow

I decided to look up horseradish since it is commonly used:

Quote:
Horseradish, a member of the mustard family, is a pungent, hot-tasting root sold fresh and whole, or grated and bottled as a prepared sauce. The best prepared horseradish is grated and bottled in a light vinegar.

Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana, syn. Cochlearia armoracia) is a perennial plant of the Brassicaceae family, which includes mustard and cabbages. The plant is probably native to southeastern Europe and western Asia, but is popular around the world today. It grows up to five feet tall and is mainly cultivated for its large white, tapering root, although the leaves are also edible.

Its root is used as a vegetable or ground in a condiment called prepared horseradish, and has at times been used as the bitter herbs in the Passover meal in some Jewish communities. Horseradish, sometimes blended with cream and called horseradish sauce, is often served with roast or boiled beef or sausages, as well as smoked fish. Horseradish is also used in some prepared mustards. Also, much of what is styled wasabi is actually common horseradish dyed green.

The horseradish root itself has hardly any aroma. When cut or grated, however, enzymes from the damaged plant cells break down sinigrin (a glucosinolate) to produce allyl isothiocyanate (mustard oil), which irritates the sinuses and eyes. Once grated, if not used immediately or mixed in vinegar, the root darkens and loses its pungency and becomes unpleasantly bitter when exposed to air and heat.

Over two thirds of the world's horseradish is said to be grown in a small region around Collinsville, Illinois in the US, the self-styled "Horseradish Capital of the World", whence it is even exported overseas as a gourmet version of the product to places more renowned for consumption of the root. The biggest US production for domestic supply comes from Silver Springs in Eau Claire,Wisconsin.

I suppose we could use horseradish, but it isn’t even bitter unless it is allowed to sit and not mixed with vinegar. I am also betting that horseradish is a more modern (vs. ancient) thing to use. Besides maybe being bitter, it is also hot, which I’m not too fond of.

At any rate, like I said, the herbs should be cooked with the roast, not eaten with the bread dipped in them (herbs wouldn’t normally be in a form that can have something dipped in anyway, unless you have horseradish sauce, which I doubt they did, even in Yahushua’s time). If the bread is to be Yahushua’s sinless, broken body, adding the bitter herbs to it would be adding sin to his body, which is still alive. Then it would no longer be perfect. The herbs have to be with the roast, not the matzah.

18. EATING THE CHAROSET: Where does this come from? This is another thing I do not see in Scripture. Even the verses given in this script to support this say nothing of the Charoset, they simple say to eat the roasted lamb with unleavened bread and bitter herbs. Nothing about a charoset.

19. Afikoman: The hunting for the afikoman reminds me too much of hunting for easter eggs. I wouldn’t be surprised if this tradition sprang up when Israel was in Babylon.

20. Leader: (Lifting the third cup, the cup of redemption). The disciples drank of the third cup but Yahushua did not. He became our redemption the next day when He died for our sins. Yahushua is our Redemption! Actually, in Hebrew days, he died that same day, not the next.

Offline Yada  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:26:10 AM(UTC)
Yada

This is great Icy - thanks!

I copied the following from a previous post:

If you are new to the Passover Sedar (like me), you might be interested in watching these 4 short videos. They serve to give you a good, quick introduction to the progression and elements (and in Part 4, an explanation of the symbolism) of the meal itself.

Part 1 can be viewed here.

Part 2 can be viewed here.

Part 3 can be viewed here.

Part 4 can be viewed here.

Perhaps we can discuss what is right about the meal featured in the videos and what was in error.

I took the following quote from: Yada Yahweh, Book II : Called-Out Assemblies, Understanding the Basics, Chapter 2, Pecach Miqra, Passover Outcalling. The complete chapter can be found here.

(You will find specific suggestions for how you might share the Passover meal with your family underlined.)

Quote:
Today, since the blood of the Perfect Sacrificial Lamb - Yahushua - has been shed so that we might live, we do not need to slaughter another lamb. But we do need to observe the Miqra and keep the appointment with Yahuweh. The date is not difficult to establish. Passover is marked on most every secular calendar as the 14th day following the new moon closest to the spring equinox.

On that day each year we should observe the Pesach symbolically. I recommend doing as much of what Scripture says as possible. Celebrate the Feast with your family, eating a meal of roasted lamb and unleavened bread, just as the first celebrants did. And while you and your family are reminiscing over our freedom from the bondage of sin, read about the first Passover in Exodus 12 and 13. Then qara/read the prophecies in Isaiah 53 and Psalm 22 that speak so vividly of what actually happened and why it occurred that way. Follow this by a review of the eyewitness accounts, the demonstration of His love and provision starting in Matthew 20-28, Mark 11-16, Luke 18-24, and/or John 11-21.

Strike Easter from your vocabulary and your calendar and follow Yahuweh's instructions and Yahushua's example. Keep the qodesh/set apart appointment with God and celebrate the Miqra of Passover each year
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!