logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Stewart James  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2019 8:43:39 AM(UTC)
Stewart James
Man
Thailand

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I wonder if you plan to notify us which of the two selected dates in the Miqra'ey calendar will be the nearest accurate date for this coming New Year of celebrations?

I understand this relies upon the new ear of barley and the sliver of the new moon. This is my second time of joining in with the Miqra'ey events and I would appreciate a little help with understanding which dates will work this time!

I think I got a few things wrong last time and I want to do my best to correct my own mistakes this time, so I am asking early for some guidance please!

Thank you in advance!
When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease being honest!
Offline Bubsy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:20:38 PM(UTC)
Bubsy
Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I have noticed in past years where the possible Pesach new moon dates were pretty much equidistant from the spring equinox, that the calendars that provided dates for Passover consistently used the later date. Of course, there's nothing definitive about that. I seem to remember hearing Yada say he would gladly celebrate Pesach twice the last year where there were two equally valid dates for the Pesach new moon, and therefore for Pesach. There may be web sites that report whether the ear has appeared in barley grown in Israel or not, if you want to find and use that to decide. I also note that this year, the later date for Pesach would put most of the Mow'ed Miqra'ey for this year on weekends, for anyone inclined to use THAT to help them decide which one they want to use.
Ha Shem? I'm kind of fond of Ha Shemp, Ha Larry, and Ha Moe myself. And the earlier shorts with Ha Curly.
Offline Stewart James  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 9:06:59 PM(UTC)
Stewart James
Man
Thailand

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Thank you Busby for your insight and help.

Indeed, I do have one website that gives observations of the new ear of barley and the first sliver of the new moon. I guess being in Thailand this is the closest I can come to correct timing? It's going to be a close call, but I will not use timing that is more covenient to me just because the Shabat falls at the same time.

I am thinking based on my learning that observation of the new ear of barley first (Abib), thus if the ear of barley is still grown anywhere in Yisra'el, will be the first marker, followed by the new moon obesrvation if it is practical and possible, falling back on calculation being in order if the new moon cannot be observed due to weather of other conditions in Yarusalem!

Does this make sense?
When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease being honest!
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:52:39 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Personally I will be celebrating on the second calendar. My reasoning is 2 fold.

1. Last time we had a possible extra month, 2016, I went with the earlier start date, because sources indicated barley was abib. So we are due for an extra month.
2. I am in a position where I need to plan things out and so I need to put in my time off ASAP, and taking 1 in to account and the fact that barley may or may not be abib for the first schedule and will undoubtedly be abib for the second, it makes more sense to go that route.

Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand