logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Vici1  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 4:26:10 AM(UTC)
Vici1
South Africa

Hi Everyone
0n 16 December many people will be celebrating what is now known as day of recconciliations but previously this was called the Day of the Vow. This goes back a very long time when a boer lager with about 70 people (I think) was surrounded by thousands of Zulu impi's ready to kill them.
Argument here is that many say that the prayer states before the living God and yet there are others saying before the living lord.
Short story is that the boers promised that if they were delivered from certain death that they will keep this day holy for all time from generation to generation.

Just a note on this day or night - Zulu impi's at the lager (Battle of blood river) said many years later, that surrounding the lager were huge ethereal beings (some say it was horses other say men). I do think that something huge of epic proportions happened there that night but the inconsistencies of what exactly happened what was seen is leaving a question in my mind. I know Yahowah can do something this big. Further to this - this whole day of the vow has lead many afrikaans speaking people to believe that they are chosen people. That patriotism Yada warns us about.

On the patriotism Yada speaks of institutions, government, military and religion. Originally the boers and afrikaners were two different people, speaking 2 different forms of dutch/afrikaans. The day of the vow paved the way for the afrikaners to build monuments for the boers, their religion and war hero's. The boer became assimilated into the afrikaners, one language came about, even religion. The boers are so guilty of that patriotism today still and maybe even worse now, they put their people before Yahowah and the day of the vow is testimony to this.

I being from boer descent think that this event should be, along with the exodus account be remembered with Pesach, as I am not sure with using either title in the prayer, a promise by man should be venerated.

Another argument is that people say that a vow made with God should be kept according to the word. I have read that but am not sure if that is in fact the correct translation or is that how the masoretic texts put it.

Is there any help on this that a covenant that man makes with God to keep a day holy for deliverance? I have not read anywhere in the word with all the wars and so that any of the Israelites made a covenant and kept that day holy for all time. I have also not noted days of observance by the Isrealites for other days other than the feasts of Yahowah in the word.

Do the people keeping the Day of the Vow have a valid argument or are they following the tradition of man?

The boers though are also of the first people here enmasse to begin walking away from religion towards Yahowah, we are stumbling and falling along the way to find the truth.

Any help or enlightenment of this will be appreciated.

Thank you

Vici
Offline Bubsy  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 5:51:26 PM(UTC)
Bubsy
Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
It's remotely possible that Yahowah would see that some Gentile Boers would come to know Him and become part of His family if they were spared from a hopeless situation. It would certainly be unusual, given Yahowah's focus on Jerusalem and His set-apart land which we know as Israel. Normally, Yahowah would not know about, nor care about what people do outside Israel, though we do have the story of Abraham, and how Yahowah told him it was His desire that Abraham walk away from Babylon and his father's house, and to the promised land that He would show him. I do recall that Yahowah did say something along the lines that "You shall do according to whatever comes out of your mouth" with regard to making promises. Yahowah certainly cares about people observing His Mo'ed Miqra'ey, or Called-Out Assembly Meeting Times. He would be neutral at best with comemmorating additional days. If the additional days had religious or political significance, He would likely oppose them. It sounds like the Day of the Vow may have military significance, seemingly putting it on par with Hannukah, which from what I recall, celebrates a military victory for one faction of Israelites over another. Militarism is another of man's ways that Yahowah dislikes. If many among the Boers have indeed come to know Yahowah and engage in His Covenant, then maybe Yahowah did deliver their ancestors. Otherwise it seems unlikely to be Yahowah's doing. Others may have more definitive words to say on this.
Ha Shem? I'm kind of fond of Ha Shemp, Ha Larry, and Ha Moe myself. And the earlier shorts with Ha Curly.