logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shalom82  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 1:30:29 AM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I feel a little bit odd perhaps hypocritical now after I have accused wikipedia of now happily using it as my ally in the search for truth. But oh well...I guess I'll get over it. It seems that the Talmud has some use after all...as to it's evidence that the original manuscripts of the apostolic writings did indeed have the Tetragrammaton (YHWH). Here are some references.

Look up: Tarfon
R. Tarfon was extremely bitter against those Jews who had been converted to Christianity and he swore that he would burn every book of theirs which should fall into his hands, his feeling being so intense that he had no scruples against destroying the Gospels, even though the name of God (Yahuweh) occurred frequently in them, see also Tetragrammaton in the New Testament.

Look up: Tetragrammaton in the New Testament
The Babylonian Talmud seems to point to the Tetragramaton being used in the Gospels. One passage reads: "We don't save the Gospels or the books of Minim from the fire. They are burnt where they are, together with their Tetragrammatons(YHWH)."

Here is another reference from the Talmud that is helpful to establishing the name of the Messiah.

Look up: Yeshua
The Toledot Yeshu narratives conflate the person or persons designated Yeshu in the Talmud with Jesus but relate that his original name was, in fact, Yehoshua.(Yahushua)

All information in Parenthesis was added by me.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline jojocc  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:28:44 AM(UTC)
jojocc

I was asked by Tiffany a couple of days agao why I write Yehoshua with this particular spelling and I have become a bit worried. As I wrote in my reply, it is mostly because this is how the Hebrew name is commonly rendered in English, the Hebrew characters are the same. I know that much to our collective shame, it has been the Jewish tradition to obscufate the name of HaMashiakh. So in the English rendering, is it purely obscufation? Does saying Yehoshua render the Hebrew יהושע inert? Am I calling him by the wrong name?
Offline shalom82  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:44:21 AM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Shalom jojocc,

I think my posting in this same thread, "In his Name", that is called Wikipedia is Hiding Something, might be helpful in answering your question about Yehoshua. Also here is a link to a very good website...one of the best that I have seen...about the name of the Messiah.

http://www.eliyah.com/yahushua.html

I wouldn't say inert (at the risk of minimizing the importance of the issue). But all the evidence points to the fact that Messiah was given Yahuweh's name. If you presribe to the Pronounciation Yah-u-weh and acknowledge that Yod-Heh-Waw is the Yahu part of the name, it would probably be best to pronounce it Yahu instead of Yeho. Also noted in that other topic about Wikipedia is that a group of people who frequent wikipedia (I am assuming Rabbinics, perhaps incorrectly, but I don't see Christians being anything but indifferent about this issue) hate the form Yahushua. There must be a reason why. I can understand if they have a disdain for the Messiah and don't want to connect Yahushua to him...but they won't even aknowledge it on their page devoted to Yahushua (Joshua) Son of Nun. I hope that helps you out.

YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.