logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Garrett  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:20:02 PM(UTC)
Garrett

Shalom to all.

I was hoping to open up a dialogue.

Topic: What language were the writings of the talmidim (New Testament) originally penned in?
I read the following short book:

http://www.aramaicpeshit...k%20-%20Edition%201a.pdf

I also recently watched a presentation By Nehemiah Gordon on Shem Tov's Hebrew Matthew:

http://video.google.com/...;q=greek+jesus&hl=en

Pretty compelling.

I am by no means an expert on ancient manuscripts, but there seems to be a lot of evidence to support that the New Testament was written first in Hebrew, translated into Aramaic, then to Greek (Byzantine and Alexandria).

For those who get a chance to read the book (above) and watch Nehemiah's presentation, I would really like to know what you think.

Shalom u'vracha.

Garrett-
It is the glory of Elohim (God) to conceal a matter, but the honour of melekim (kings) to search it out.
Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:24:32 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It definitely does make one wonder, since the Hebrew version does seem to be in more in unison. Though I checked my ISR version at the same time and they seemed to of gotten it the saying the same in most cases, except for the main passage being dealt with, which was Matthew 23:1-3

Greek version:

Matthew 23:1-3 Then Yahushua spoke to the crowds and to His taught ones, saying, "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on the seat of Mosheh. Therefore, whatever they say to you to guard, guard and do. But do not do according to their works, for they say, and do not do."

Shem-Tov Hebrew version:

Matthew 23:1-3 Then Yahushua spoke to the crowds and to His taught ones, saying, "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on the seat of Mosheh. Therefore, whatever he say to you to guard, guard and do. But do not do according to their works, for they say, and do not do."

The words they and he seem to make quite a bit of difference in that Yahushua is telling us to follow them (Pharisees) in the Greek version but in the Hebrew version it says to follow Moses, indicated by the word he.

I just read an interesting article concerning this video, I would cut and paste sections but the document is secure, so I tried to screenshot sections and upload the pictures but I just can't seem to get the right filepath for the picture's destination on my pc. Anyway, it highlights a particular point that the he says should be it says in regards to the Seat of Moses, and to those who occupy the Seat of Moses by way of metonymy.

In other words Matthew 23:1-3 could look like this:

Matthew 23:1-3 Then Yahushua spoke to the crowds and to His taught ones, saying, "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on the seat of Mosheh. Therefore, whatever it [the Seat of Moses] says to you to guard, guard and do. But do not do according to their works, for they say, and do not do."

I'm I adding to or taking away in this?

I was annoyed with his conclusion, why does he put so much focus on the Hebrew version, which seems to agree with Torah, and then reject Yahushua as Messiah?
Offline Matthew  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:36:59 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Swalchy wrote:
Yada does a good job of explaining Matthew 23 in his Krima - Damnation page, and explains what the Greek actually says, and not what the ISR Scriptures think the Greek says.

Not saying that the Shem-Tov Hebrew version is completely wrong or useless, the problem is it's just not old enough to have any more weight than any of the earlier versions - even that of the Latin Vulgate.

Thanks for pointing that one out Swalchy! I'll give it a read it a moment.

But you're right, the fact the Greek outdates the Hebrew means it does have more weight.

The video was still interesting in terms of understanding the Pharisees.

But I don't understand Nehemiah Gordon, he says Yahushua taught Torah, but yet rejects Him as Messiah. In other words "Yes He teaches Torah, but I don't believe He is the Messiah!"
Offline shalom82  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:57:28 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Indeed, if Yahushua is not the Messiah...then he doesn't teach Torah....know what I mean?
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Garrett  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:32:13 AM(UTC)
Garrett

Todah Rabbah guys.

One question that popped into my mind this morning on my drive to work...

How do we know His name was Yahshua? I mean, if the Apastoc Scriptures in Greek are the measuring stick, where do we find the name Yahshua? All we have is the pagan Iseus (Jesus), right?

And this brings up another question:

If His name was indeed given as Yahshua, how do we know it was Yod-Hey-Vav-Shin-Ayin (Yahushua or Yahshua - Yah is Salvation) verses Yod-Shin-Vav-Ayin (Yeshua) which simply means "Salvation".

I eagerly await the responses from my brothers on this site.

Shalom!
Garrett-
It is the glory of Elohim (God) to conceal a matter, but the honour of melekim (kings) to search it out.
Offline Matthew  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:49:04 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

This Gordon Nehemiah says Yehovah, almost like the JWs Jehovah, except with the Y beginning and the Yeho pronounced quicker and with less stress than saying Jeho.
Offline mrjonathan2000  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 2:55:04 AM(UTC)
mrjonathan2000

Garrett wrote:
Todah Rabbah guys.

One question that popped into my mind this morning on my drive to work...

How do we know His name was Yahshua? I mean, if the Apastoc Scriptures in Greek are the measuring stick, where do we find the name Yahshua? All we have is the pagan Iseus (Jesus), right?

And this brings up another question:

If His name was indeed given as Yahshua, how do we know it was Yod-Hey-Vav-Shin-Ayin (Yahushua or Yahshua - Yah is Salvation) verses Yod-Shin-Vav-Ayin (Yeshua) which simply means "Salvation".

I eagerly await the responses from my brothers on this site.

Shalom!
Garrett-

You're right. The only names in any manuscript are Iesous and Yashua/Yeshua. So either we call Him Iesous, Yashua, or YHWH Himself. I prefer the last one myself since that was the name I was baptized in. ;-)