logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dajstill  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2011 2:40:48 PM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I really would like to be able to look things up a verify for myself; I would also like to start writing my own Torah scroll. I was looking at Logos software and not quite sure where to start. For instance, they have a Qumran Dead Seas Scrolls data base available that looks really neat. I see they have various packages for Logos, but the cheapest versions contain lots of things, but I don't see that it really contains anything that would give me original or early Hebrew translations for the "Old Testament". Any advice on where to go? I am very, very new to this; but really want to challenge myself to learn and to be able to learn things for myself.
I see they also have a program to learn Biblical Greek and Hebrew as well. That might be neat as I home school my kids - so teaching them some Hebrew at an early age would be a wonderful gift that I could give them.
So, I guess my question is:
For a first step at looking at early translations - would Logos be the way to go?
If so, any advice on which Logos packages?
Can one start with the Dead Seas Scroll database (around $200) or does one need to jump in at the more base packages of Logos (around $400)?

Also, I keep seeing in some of the archives that folks have complied most of the translations from YY - is there a nice spot I can go to and download them?

Thanks!

Offline James  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:44:33 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Don't know how I missed this, but I was just going through some old forum threads and saw it.

Don't know if your question has been answered yet, but here is my two cents.

First of all I don't think you can get the DSS database unless you have a base package.

Second I would recommend that you start with the Original Language package. It's about $400, but as soon as you start using it you will find that it is money well spent.

From there I would recommend a few additions, in this order:

Theological Word Book of the Old Testament - about $50 and well worth it. This is a great source.
Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database - about $200 not completely unnecessary, but nice to have.
Vine's Expository Dictionary - about $15 decent for the price
Strong's - about $20 not necessary since you can get it free in E-Sword, but nice to have linked in so that you can access it easier.

That is all I have right now. There are a few I would like to get, but they are out of my price range right now.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Sarah  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 8:21:33 AM(UTC)
Sarah

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
NOTICE!

LOGOS is running a sale today until 5 pm PST
You can buy the Dead Sea Scrolls Database for $87.95 instead of the $180; and the Theological Wordbook for $37.46

BigGrin
Offline Sarah  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 11:26:42 AM(UTC)
Sarah

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I forgot to mention:
You have to CALL LOGOS AND ASK: WHAT KIND OF PRICE CAN YOU GIVE ME TODAY!! If they don't say $87 for DSS, say your friend just received that price. Theological Wordbook was $37 something.