logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jason  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 4:27:05 PM(UTC)
Jason
Man
Canada

Hello, I was planning on finally getting my own OL package from logos and it seems it has been discontinued. they have a whole new line of products and have completely rid their site of the old packages. I know nothing about the new packages really, and I am a little sceptical. I hope it was replaced with something as good or better. does anyone know if I can still find the OL package for sale? or know anything about these new package and if they have the same tools? I will be calling them on the 1rst day of next week but I'd be interested in hearing any opinions from the yada yahweh forum participants.

Thanks

Jason from Toronto
Offline James  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 7:09:14 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Wow, they discontinued the Original languages package, that sucks.

It looks like you have to get the Silver or Gold to even get close to getting all of the useful tools in the OL, and the Silver is $850, the gold $1300+

I did find a copy on Amazon of the OL used 3rd edition.

Not a bad price either. The third eddition software was pretty good, it's what I started with. I upgraded to the 4th only because it was free since it came out shortly after I bought it, I like it a little better but the third was still good. Not sure about 5 which is out now.

Another option would be to get the Starter package, and then add in afterwards only what you want. The Starter package is $250. You can see my walk through videos for a list of the resources I use and recommend. No matter how you go it seems like it is going to be a lot more expensive to put together a good package than it used to be.

Another thing you might try is to call, and ask about the Original Languages package. They may still offer it, just not on their site, or they may bring it back if enough people ask. I know a few people called them and were able to get a little better deal on it in the past, from what I understand they are easy to work with.

Sucks that they got rid of such a great tool, and replaced it with more christian junk.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Jason  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:15:24 AM(UTC)
Jason
Man
Canada

Thanks very much James. I'm going to call them 2nd day when they open again and see if I can still get OL4. If not maybe I will try to find that one selling on amazon you mentioned or check out your walk through videos. Where can I find those videos?
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 12:09:57 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Offline Richard  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 4:52:35 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Jason wrote:
Thanks very much James. I'm going to call them 2nd day when they open again and see if I can still get OL4. If not maybe I will try to find that one selling on amazon you mentioned or check out your walk through videos. Where can I find those videos?

I love it that you refer to "2nd day" rather than to the way it reads on our calendars. Way to be, bro.
Offline Jason  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2012 5:06:10 PM(UTC)
Jason
Man
Canada

So I call Logos this evening and I was informed that all the logos 4 package are discontinued and are unavailable. But I did get a little mire information at is a little bit odd, the OL package is now called the "biblical" languages package and get this, it's only available to schools.

After a little more investigation with the salesman I did learn that there may be some ideal options for me. From what I understand, as far as the functionality and capability of the software the library packages are not really relevant. It is the data sets that provide the software's functions. He directed me to a bare bones product that includes all of the data sets of the big beefy packages and only a minimal resource library for 150$. So it sounds like a can minimize the religious commentary and build my library from the ground up while having all the logos software's capability options from the start. He also said I can then buy any of the library resources individually.

Offline Jason  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2012 5:07:52 PM(UTC)
Jason
Man
Canada

Thanks for the link James.
Offline James  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:55:53 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Yeah I saw that bare bones one after I had wrote my reply. It's still going to end up being a bit more expensive to get everything. The OL was a great package to start with it sucks that they discontinued it.

Might look for any religious schools in your area and check their book stores, they may have it, and then you could get someone with a student ID to buy it for you.

Offline Sarah  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:40:28 AM(UTC)
Sarah

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I saw Logos OL 3 on this website for $311.00:

http://www.discountbible...tudy-software/l2690.html
Offline dajstill  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:25:30 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I was able to get an instructor account set up. Let me know if someone wants to purchase as a "student" and I will call and see how to make it happen.
Offline Jason  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:59:47 PM(UTC)
Jason
Man
Canada

Thanks everyone. I think what I am going to do is get the "Logos 5 minimal crossgrade" and build my library from the ground up as needed. Building my library gradually is not such a financial leap, even though over the long run it will probably pay more, but then again I will only be getting what I actually want and will use. As far as I know, to do this I will not need to be a student but if I do I will definitely take you up on the offer dajstill, thanks.